Home Sports Talk
Options

On Behalf of all New York Mets Fans, I'd Like to Publicly Thank CU Member Edmundfitzgerald...

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
for predicting that the Mets season was over a little while back...of course, we all know how pitiful his sports-related prognosticative skills are, so when he started that thread, I knew it was only a matter of time before the Mets would rapidly ascend through the NL East standings...

I have to admit, though, I didn't think it would happen this fast, but here's to you EF, on behalf of all the Amazins' fans, we wish you well in all your future endeavors! image

SteveK, don't forget to send ol' EF a Christmas card now! image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    I'll drink to that.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there's one thing I hate, it's happy Mets fans. image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOOOOOO HOOOOOO

I LOVE it!!!!!!!

LOOK WHO IS IN FIRST PLACE:

National League
    East W L PCT GB
    New York 12 9 .571 -
    Philadelphia 11 9 .550 0.5
    Florida 11 10 .524 1.0
    Washington 11 10 .524 1.0
    Atlanta 8 12 .400 3.5
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>WOOOOOO HOOOOOO

I LOVE it!!!!!!!

LOOK WHO IS IN FIRST PLACE:

National League
    East W L PCT GB
    New York 12 9 .571 -
    Philadelphia 11 9 .550 0.5
    Florida 11 10 .524 1.0
    Washington 11 10 .524 1.0
    Atlanta 8 12 .400 3.5 >>

Those standings with the Mets in first place is my definition of "ugly" image

• Options
    Dear Mets fan, (and I say "fan" because there are only about 500 of them in attendance at home games),

There's a new sherrif in town.

Sincerely,
    Doc Holliday
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Where does this guy get his information? Or does he simply make crap up as he goes along?

The Mets have the 12th highest attendance in MLB and average over 30k fans per home game.

Ummm it is April ya know.

Oh, and as usual your 'predictions' are lacking, thank God you don't make your living
    giving them, or do you?

Glad I did NOT turn off the SuperBowl when you told us to.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Shouldn't this Steve guy be spending his free time admiring Murcerfans collection instead
    of contributing to this forum image
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Shouldn't this Steve guy be spending his free time admiring Murcerfans collection instead
    of contributing to this forum image >>

Globetrotters v Generals tonight. Any thoughts on who will win?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    What are the chances that the Mets just impload?
  • Options
    by the end of the season, the Mets will be in 3rd place, they just do not have the balance to compete this season.
  • Options
    Meet the Mets!! image

Meet the Mets!! image

Step right up and greet the Mets!! image

Bring ya kiddies, bring ya wife...

Guaranteed by SteveK to have the time of your life!! image

Cause the Mets are really sockin' the ball!! image

Hitting those balls over the wall!! image

East side....west side!! image

Everybody's comin' down!! image

(Refrain)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>by the end of the season, the Mets will be in 3rd place, they just do not have the balance to compete this season. >>

Attention Grote....Come in Grote !!!

A voice of reason has infultrated your delusional dreams.

Please pay attention to this voice. It will save you from great heartbreak down the road image
  • Options

<< <i>Meet the Mets!! image

Meet the Mets!! image

Step right up and greet the Mets!! image

Bring ya kiddies, bring ya wife...

Guaranteed by SteveK to have the time of your life!! image

Cause the Mets are really sockin' the ball!! image

Hitting those balls over the wall!! image

East side....west side!! image

Everybody's comin' down!! image

(Refrain) >>

Whoever wrote this song I'm suing for using my name without permission. image
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where does this guy get his information? Or does he simply make crap up as he goes along?

The Mets have the 12th highest attendance in MLB and average over 30k fans per home game.

Ummm it is April ya know.

Oh, and as usual your 'predictions' are lacking, thank God you don't make your living
    giving them, or do you?

Glad I did NOT turn off the SuperBowl when you told us to.

Steve >>

Steve:

Counting paid attendance versus fannies in the seats are two completely different things. Yesterday's double header started with about 2500-3000 people in the stands, built up to about 10,000 and was about 2500 again at the end of the second game. Announced attendance was something like 30,000, but there was no more than a third of that at the peak.

Mets fans HAVE NOT been showing up at the ballpark!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Give it another week and they'll be singing:

Beat the Mets!
    Beat the Mets!
    The NL East just beats the Mets!
    Hide the kiddies and spare your wife...
    A homer by Howard might take their life!

'Cuz their foes are really sockin' the ball!
    Bay's chasin' 'em back to the wall!
    East side, West side!
    Everybody just calm down,
    They know the M-E-T-S, Mets of New York town.
  • Options
    Give it another week and they'll be singing:

Beat the Mets!
    Beat the Mets!

East side, West side!
    They know the M-E-T-S, Mets of New York town.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and surmise that you weren't much of the lyricist back in the day..

• Options

<< <i>

Steve:

Counting paid attendance versus fannies in the seats are two completely different things. Yesterday's double header started with about 2500-3000 people in the stands, built up to about 10,000 and was about 2500 again at the end of the second game. Announced attendance was something like 30,000, but there was no more than a third of that at the peak.

Mets fans HAVE NOT been showing up at the ballpark! >>

• Options

<< <i>

Beat the Mets!
    Beat the Mets!

East side, West side!
    They know the M-E-T-S, Mets of New York town. >>

• Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    As a fan of the Twins, I can tell you that April is a bit early to be counting pennants. If I recall, didn't the mets lose the division lead in September 2 years in a row? Still not sure where all the offense will come from, or all the SP innings. Color me skeptical that they take down the Phillies over 162 games, or even the fish. Good to see Santana seemingly pitching well though.

Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options

<< <i>As a fan of the Twins, I can tell you that April is a bit early to be counting pennants. If I recall, didn't the mets lose the division lead in September 2 years in a row? Still not sure where all the offense will come from, or all the SP innings. Color me skeptical that they take down the Phillies over 162 games, or even the fish. Good to see Santana seemingly pitching well though. >>

You don't have to remind us about the 2 September blown leads! The pitching has been suprisingly solid, and the offense will come. Don't think anyone is counting on the Mets the pennant,yet, but give us Met fans time to enjoy it!
  • Options
    Did anyone here ever watch the 1973 Belmont Stakes when Sham had an early lead on Secretariat?
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    Where does this guy get his information? Or does he simply make crap up as he goes along? The Mets have the 12th highest attendance in MLB and average over 30k fans per home game.

The Mets are averaging nearly 9,000 fewer 'fans' per game this season already. April or not, the weather has been cooperative for the most part.

09/10 Attendance differential
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    C'mon, give the poor Mets fans a break - they never have anything to celebrate, so if they are getting excited about being a handful of games over .500 in April, then let them be. Before long, they will be losing games regularly again - and if they are anywhere near the top of the division in September, they will choke it away per usual.

The Phillies remain the team to beat in the NL, and maybe in all of baseball.
  • Options
    C'mon, give the poor Mets fans a break - they never have anything to celebrate, so if they are getting excited about being a handful of games over .500 in April, then let them be. Before long, they will be losing games regularly again - and if they are anywhere near the top of the division in September, they will choke it away per usual.

The Phillies remain the team to beat in the NL, and maybe in all of baseball.

Jerry is the same guy who predicted that the Jets had "no chance" to beat the Bengals or get past the first round in the NFL playoffs last year....next to EF, you might be the second-worst prognosticator of sporting events on this board, LMAO!!

• Options
    Lane too bad that is not what he said, he claimed only 500 fans were in the stands.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i> they never have anything to celebrate >>

Never? We was celebrating pretty hard one October evening in 1986.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Mike and Mike had an interest stat (if I can remember it correctly) the Mets are the 4th team in major league history to overcome a "5 game behind" deficit to land in first place in the first month of the season. The 3 previous squads did not make the postseason.
  • Options
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, but this is why April is way to early to say "I told you so" in baseball.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    anyone gots a link to dat Mets theme song?

• Options
    never minds - i find an old 45 record of the song and I'm playing it right now on my record player.

Hey, dats a catchy little tune.

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    I bet they would like to play the Nats and Pirates now...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, but this is why April is way to early to say "I told you so" in baseball.

Thank you for that brilliant observation, Captain Obvious...LOL..

I suppose the term "tongue-in-cheek" eludes you, too..

P.S. Plenty of time to get back on track...I'm not sweatin' it, no matter what song SteveK sings..image

• Options

<< <i>I don't have a dog in this hunt, but this is why April is way to early to say "I told you so" in baseball.

Thank you for that brilliant observation, Captain Obvious...LOL..

I suppose the term "tongue-in-cheek" eludes you, too..

P.S. Plenty of time to get back on track...I'm not sweatin' it, no matter what song SteveK sings..image >>

Captain Obvious - I love it. That being said...the Mets SP situation is horrible. I don't know how Omar can't build a decent rotation with that budget...of course resigning Ollie was a horrible idea. If Boras has to convince you a guy really is good, you should pass.
  • Options
    The Mets really need Beltran back, so they can score some runs. Who knows when thats going to happen? The Starting pitching is a mess. They have Santana, and Pelfrey and ??? Hopefully Niese only misses a couple starts, but Maine is really a mess and who knows who the #5 pitcher will be? They had chances to sign pitchers in the off season, but didn't.
  • Options
    How many excuses do Mets fans have for their team losing?

The number is around the same as the number of grains of sand on the earth, give or take a few.

• Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Right now there are no dominate team and that is why the team that gets hot in the playoffs will win it all.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    time to bring up the rookie Hernandez...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...