Home Precious Metals
Options

Finally bought some metal instead of cardboard!

I've been on a "rare" baseball card kick as of late and this new, nasty hobby has sucked all the PM budgeted dollars from my checkbook. Thought it was time to buy some more "real" money, and the wonderful folks down at Harlan J. Berk had the cure for my ailment. In addition to getting a good deal on the below bars, I was afforded the very special privalege of being able to fondle....I mean handle that massive UBS 3 kilo gold bar! What a treat! You cannot imagine its heft until you have it in your hands. It was by far the largest chunk of gold I have ever felt up, and at current spot, represents about $110,000.

Getting back to the below silver bars. Would you rank National as a 2nd or 3rd tier refiner? Im thinking 2nd tier, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You were right the first time. Fondle.

I consider National to be a high second tier firm. Have handled a lot of it over the years.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Felt up? image

I don't know anything about national. But they look cool. And as I've said before, you can't beat Berk for reputation and customer service. Harlan sent my icon to me to preview with no references, no money, no nothing--just the phone call.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 10 oz. National bar from HJB a few weeks ago... very nice bar and great place to buy from. National is a second tier or high second tier bar -- kind of like Heraues -- not because of quality or design, but because it's just not as well known in the U.S. Heraeus is German and I think National is Canadian?
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>I bought a 10 oz. National bar from HJB a few weeks ago... very nice bar and great place to buy from. National is a second tier or high second tier bar -- kind of like Heraues -- not because of quality or design, but because it's just not as well known in the U.S. Heraeus is German and I think National is Canadian? >>

That would explain the maple leaf stamp on the front.
  • Options
    Bought several 10 oz Nationals last month. Should I remove them from the plastic? Toning? Presently Canadian silver and gold is my preference.

• Options

<< <i>Bought several 10 oz Nationals last month. Should I remove them from the plastic? Toning? Presently Canadian silver and gold is my preference. >>

I did....its just bullion to me...nothing collectible about it really.
  • Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>... I mean handle that massive UBS 3 kilo gold bar! What a treat! You cannot imagine its heft until you have it in your hands. It was by far the largest chunk of gold I have ever felt up, and at current spot, represents about $110,000. >>

It reminds me of when I had a chance to "handle" a 400oz bar at the Royal Canadian Mint. Handling $100,000+ worth of gold in one piece is something most people never get a chance to do!

<< <i>Getting back to the below silver bars. Would you rank National as a 2nd or 3rd tier refiner? Im thinking 2nd tier, what are your thoughts? >>

I'd go with 2nd tier, too.
  • Options
    Hey Phil......This afternoon we had a little old Swiss lady come in and buy a Credit Swiss ten gram bar and a half ounce bar, plus some silver. Because she is a regular customer, after we were done I said wait a minute and went and got the three kilo bar. I put it in her hands over a tray, and she gasped and then clutched it to her chest and said
    "I could sleep with this!"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Phil......This afternoon we had a little old Swiss lady come in and buy a Credit Swiss ten gram bar and a half ounce bar, plus some silver. Because she is a regular customer, after we were done I said wait a minute and went and got the three kilo bar. I put it in her hands over a tray, and she gasped and then clutched it to her chest and said
    image >>

I dont know what to say...other than I feel very, very betrayed!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Phil......This afternoon we had a little old Swiss lady come in and buy a Credit Swiss ten gram bar and a half ounce bar, plus some silver. Because she is a regular customer, after we were done I said wait a minute and went and got the three kilo bar. I put it in her hands over a tray, and she gasped and then clutched it to her chest and said
    image >>

I dont know what to say...other than I feel very, very betrayed!

image >>

After she said that, she must have thought about what she said, because she added "...under my pillow."

• Options

<< <i>I've been on a "rare" baseball card kick as of late and this new, nasty hobby has sucked all the PM budgeted dollars from my checkbook. Thought it was time to buy some more "real" money, and the wonderful folks down at Harlan J. Berk had the cure for my ailment. In addition to getting a good deal on the below bars, I was afforded the very special privalege of being able to fondle....I mean handle that massive UBS 3 kilo gold bar! What a treat! You cannot imagine its heft until you have it in your hands. It was by far the largest chunk of gold I have ever felt up, and at current spot, represents about $110,000.

Getting back to the below silver bars. Would you rank National as a 2nd or 3rd tier refiner? Im thinking 2nd tier, what are your thoughts?

>>

I regret to report that the three kilo bar is no more. It and about 3,000 ounces of the wonderful collection it came from have gone to the melting pot.
    Sigh!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Well, the big bar is going to be made into a bunch of little bars, now everyone will get a piece!------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    standforstandfor Posts: 40 ✭✭

<< <i>handle that massive UBS 3 kilo gold bar! What a treat! You cannot imagine its heft until you have it in your hands >>

I was thinking, maybe you should let it work for you both ways, charging a small fee for people to handle it too, maybe to take some pictures w/ it... like in one of those coin shows or another safe location...

When I don't collect coins...
    I build high end houses
  • Options
    I almost....ALMOST...shed a tear upon reading the update. It was a victim of the very thing that made it so interesting in the first place....its massive size.image
  • Options

<< <i>I almost....ALMOST...shed a tear upon reading the update. It was a victim of the very thing that made it so interesting in the first place....its massive size.image >>

We ended up burning almost the entire collection for him. I tried to sell some of the most interesting small stuff retail to keep it out of the pot, but the guy must have had 30 different kilos!!!!!! I wouldn't be surprised if the guy had less than $100 per ounce into some of them. At that level they were no doubt cute and fun to collect. At $1200 per ounce the cuteness goes away.

TD
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I almost....ALMOST...shed a tear upon reading the update. It was a victim of the very thing that made it so interesting in the first place....its massive size.image >>

We ended up burning almost the entire collection for him. I tried to sell some of the most interesting small stuff retail to keep it out of the pot, but the guy must have had 30 different kilos!!!!!! I wouldn't be surprised if the guy had less than $100 per ounce into some of them. At that level they were no doubt cute and fun to collect. At $1200 per ounce the cuteness goes away.

TD >>

Even at $100/oz, in the 70's im sure $3215 was a decent chunk back then. The guy was filthy rich...lets be honest!image
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    30 kilo's!image That explains the price drop this week.

It's the Captains fault for taking a truck load to the refiners!imageimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.