Home Sports Talk
Options

Questions about Robin Yount

For those of you who saw him play a lot, I have two questions.......

#1 ....... Question about his batting stance

Was his back foot directly behind his front foot, or did he have more of a closed stance.
Just think of George Hendrick (st. louis/oakland) or Marty Barrett (red sox) who had closed stances.
I don't think Robin had an exagerrated closed stance like those two, but I think I remember his back foot not directly behind his front one.

#2 ..... Just how good was he ?

Was he Derek Jeter like ? Cal Ripken like ? I've seen both Jeter and Ripken play a lot, but I may have seen ten or fewer of Yount's games.

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I don't know the answers to that but, for you trivia buffs, I do know he went to Taft High in Los Angeles same as Ice Cube!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    well other than on average over a 162 game season based on their carerr avgs Cal only tops Robin in HRs. Other hitting numbers Robin is slightly ahead. Cal was a more consistent HR hitter but we are talking 23 for Cal on avg vs 14 for Yount. In the heart of Robin's career he was hitting on avg 17 HRs a year. But again Cal was higher. the biggest difference was that Cal was a very healthy player.

jeter and yount stat wise are the nearly the same on a 162 game season based on career ags. with the only real difference being jeters .317 avg vs .285 avg for yount, leading to a higher OBP and sluggling percentage for jeter as well.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    My mind always puts Yount next to Rose as multi-position comparables

Like Ripken, Yount can be seen as giving his teams good offense from a position that was a complete dead spot around much of the league. That huge edge was lost when he moved to the outfield, so find it hard to put him ahead of Ripken

Interesting to see Jeter with such a higher batting average while also having such a higher strikeout rate (extra base hits are very close). Shows just how much the sport can change from in those 20 years. Given the increased offense, overall around the league and from the shortstop position, along with the defensive edge, I'll put Yount ahead of Jeter for now, though a reasonable chance that can change soon enough
    Tom
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Y'know, maybe it is just perception, but I always think of Jeter as one of the biggest stars in baseball, Never so with Yount. I know he won 2 MVP's. He was a fine hitter and shortstop for many years. Maybe it is the Brewers. Yount had one World Series to play in (and he was solid!), whereas Jeter has played in seven of them. When Yount was active I thought of him as an All-Star, but never as a superstar. Like a Craig Biggio type. Just perception. His numbers put him as a first ballot HOFer as he should be.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Happy 57th Robin.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Robin!
  • Options
    He was/is one heck of a golfer as well. I was in good 'ole County Stadium to see him get #3000 against the Indians Jose Mesa. He doesn't get the credit he deserves. Multi-talented player who also played multiple positions. Maybe that is the Biggio comparison.