Home Precious Metals
Options

Newps

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
Because I've stopped stacking image

My dealer hasn't gotten any smaller classic (meaning non-modern, as opposed to early-19th century liberty) gold in for a couple of weeks now. Looking over his larger pieces and I spied this saint:

He had it marked BU @ $1500. I pointed out that it was A) unslabbed, and B) appeared to have some hairlines, and asked if he could go lower. He said $1300 was the bottom. He'd just gotten done showing another customer a set of four of those NTR bars that I've sworn I wouldn't buy (no serial numbers). So I grabbed his calculator and asked if he'd do those four bars plus the saint for $2k (in other words, spot + $.70 on the silver and $1240 on the saint). He agreed.

Consensus on the US coin forum is that it's been cleaned, and you can see some of the hairlines I mentioned. Keep in mind these shots are high resolution and you're looking at images many times greater than the coin in-hand. I'd call it "wiped", and grade it AU+ net. I'm tempted to pocket-piece it but I think I'll keep it as is.

For what it's worth, I actually do like the NTR bars. A really nice mix of matte and proof details, a good solid feel, hefty plastic sheets.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments