Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Question about 'Genuine' and counterfeits that woke me up at 2am

Ever wake up at two in the morning, wondering stupid, silly questions? Here's one that has been bugging me...

Suppose I unknowingly bought an altered coin, say, a 1944d Lincoln cent, altered to look like a 1914d. And, in spite of diagnostics, I missed it. I send it in to PCGS for grading, and, low and behold, they catch it as a fake. Does it return body-bagged as Not Genuine, or does it return holdered as a 1944d, Genuine, Altered Surfaces, since it still is a genuine Lincoln cent, just not the date I thought it was?

Next, suppose I know its not a 1914d and send it in as a 1944d? Will it be holdered Genuine, Altered, or body-bagged Not Genuine, since it's been altered in a way to be a counterfeit of something?
Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suppose you take a trip to your local pharmacy and acqire Lunesta or equivalent so that you may sleep at night? image Shag
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you mistake an altered 44D for a 14D you need to be in a different hobby.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Body bag for altered mint marks or at least that what I got for my 1914 half. It had been removed on mine and since I cracked it out of a slab I did not check it well enouph.
  • Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    I would think it would not even qualify for genuine. My guess would be body bagged.
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know for sure - my guess is they would body bag it in both cases and call it not genuine.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car