Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

We have a Plus (+), why not a minus???

As an owner of a lowball registry set, I'd like to see a minus - might help me for some of those liner FR02/PO01 coins. However, other than a handful of us pop-bottom guys, don't think there would be much demand....but a cool idea (to me at least) - anyone else have ANY interest ???
Craig
If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In marketing it is always find the positive of the item and push it as far as it will go.image
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would definitely reflect negatively on the grading you are paying hard cash to get right the first time.
    WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, because a 55- would really be a 53+!!image
  • Options
    When I read eloquent descriptions of coins for sale, like "Lincoln, 1913, PCGS PF64RB: PQ. Mostly red with flashes of light orange. We cannot see why it did not grade higher!" Just once, I want to see a coin marketed, "Lincoln, 1913, PCGS PF64RB: What were they thinking! Turd brown with ugly spots. Really should have graded lower!" or "Lincoln, 1913, PCGS PF64RB: Yeah, that's about right. We've seen better. But, hey, it'll help you fill that one spot in your Registry set."

I would think the difference between 1 and 2 is close enough that + or - would be splitting hairs. Then again, some have said the same of MS66 and 67. "What could possibly be the difference between these two coins?" "Oh, enough for a certified pre-owned Lexus."
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about a good way to render a slabbed coin un-marketable.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Talk about a good way to render a slabbed coin un-marketable. >>

I don't think they could find any benifit of putting a minus on the grade.
    CAC does it by not putting a green or gold bean on it. No bean mean not sent in or sent in and is too low for a bean.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Any 65- would have to be viewed as a 64+, in my way of thinking.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its not a plus, isnt it perceived as a minus?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If its not a plus, isnt it perceived as a minus? >>

I don't think so. There would be low end coins 0% to 30% mid range 31% to 69% and high end 70% and above. The lowest 30% just get mixed into the mid ranges.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    That would be a pretty expensive minus sign. image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also don't think so, Dave. I saw that a few coins had been submitted at my local B&M for Secure Plus, and one particularly nice one came back a full grade higher, no plus. I don't perceive the minus on that coin. It always looked real nice in a OGH 65 holder, and looks just as nice (if not moreso) in a new Secure (no Plus) 66 holder.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I also don't think so, Dave. I saw that a few coins had been submitted at my local B&M for Secure Plus, and one particularly nice one came back a full grade higher, no plus. I don't perceive the minus on that coin. It always looked real nice in a OGH 65 holder, and looks just as nice (if not moreso) in a new Secure (no Plus) 66 holder. >>

That makes sense. It will be interesting to see the market plays out on this over the next year or so.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "We have a Plus (+), why not a minus???"

Now that is an GOOD ideaimage

Besides I bet it would be alot easier to get a - on your grade then to get a + image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    I'm not inclined to think of all the non-plussed Secure Plus-holdered coins out there as automatically minus, any more than I've been frowning on coins without holographic green beans.

Instead, I focus more on eye appeal and how well or poorly the coin stands out. When I see a vendor showcasing three cases full of Morgans, I'll ask price quotes on the ones I see first. (Unless, it is, say, an 1889-CC MS65DMPL, in which case, forget it. I'd rather keep my house. I'll just stare at it in amazement for a few moments.)

Right now I'm working on a budget Peace dollar set. It's nice, because money is tight at the moment between medical expenses (I have completely inconsequential liver anomolies, but it took some rather expensive co-pays to find that out) and a vacation trip. But, I figure that even at the $30 to $100 level, there is a world of difference between ugly and pretty coins that might grade the same technically. This is a nice chance to focus more on assembling a collection about quality, passing up chances to fill the collection more quickly in favor of better choices.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    by not having a plus, you have a minus. If you're not first, your last.