Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How are you going at Heritage?

The Aussie material seems to be selling at ridiculously high prices, a reflection of the lack of quality material over here. I did manage to win this 1891-S Half Sov:
http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=3009&Lot_No=20179
Well below my max bid so I'm happy. image

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Linky. Pretty, looks undergraded to my untrained eye, with an almost prooflike reverse. Congrats.

I'm not doing anything, the local government placed us collectors under the Austerity Plan. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    WalterWalter Posts: 145 ✭✭
    AU58 seems appropriate, you can see from the slabbed photos that it has scuffed fields, that being said, it's probably the finest known of about 100 pieces. The Quartermaster Sale in July last year had one sell (raw but would probably make AU53) for AUD 4500 (about USD 4000) so I think I got a bargain. image

Hope it'll cross to PCGS because I hate those new NGC slabs, terrible for photography.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Good to see someone get something under their max bid, looks like I am getting skunked, even though most of my bids were above the high estimate and well above Spink prices.
  • Options
    Apparently way below his max bid! Bravo! image

I too hate these NGC slabs, but you got the Heritage image at worst.

JCM, you don't really expect to win that eye candy 1911 halfcrown PCGS PR67 for its high estimate, or its Spink value, right? image

I'm watching (endless) Canada live now, I hope France, Great Britain,and Greece will be on before I suicide from boredom.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Endless Canada for you maybe Dimitri image

I don't know. I need 4 PL 67's to complete the Canada PL Dollar Registry set that
    I'm try to finish up for the grand kids.

All four of them are in the Heritage auction, 2 of them have already come up and I didn't
    come close on either one of them.

I bid $1,200 on one that went for $3,500 plus the spiff. The other one was out of range
    before I could even muster a decent bid so I just sat there with my jaw dropping.

I got so frustrated I bid on a coin I already have, don't know what I'm going to
    with and won the danged thing!

The really bad news is that I couldn't touch them. On the other hand it makes me feel
    pretty good about the market for quality Canadian in general.

Yes indeed, that's right. I feel "oh so tingly "GOOD about losing two coins I've been looking for for a few
    years now image
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I snatched two newps for my obsolete country/colony set; the 1792 Barbados 1/2 Penny in PF63BN went for lowest of the whole group - thankfully so for my sake image !

And the Essequibo & Demarary 1/4 Guilder 1816 in AU-UNC that I hope will get a decent grade/slabbed... as I like it alot except for a tiny spot.

One day I will not forget how to do linky's image

Marc
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just watching... a few cool things on my more peripheral interests only plus I'm saving my pennies/yen for next weekend and the The Big Tokyo Coin show image. So nothing for me, but good luck to everyone else!

Cathy

• Options
    "Hope it'll cross to PCGS because I hate those new NGC slabs, terrible for photography."

Rotsa Ruck on that, even though the coin may well be worthy.

My attempts have been, in a word, miserable; about 1 in 3.

Maybe somebody else does better, and hopefully you will, but that's my own experience.

Good luck!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am working on my concession speech

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am working on my concession speech >>

I hope you didn't deliver it. I thought the prices were reasonable on many of the lots this evening. Watching the little screen, it seemed like the floor was dead. Note to self: don't consign my lots when the auction they will be in is planned for Friday evening.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    "Hope it'll cross to PCGS because I hate those new NGC slabs, terrible for photography."

Rotsa Ruck on that, even though the coin may well be worthy.

My attempts have been, in a word, miserable; about 1 in 3.

Maybe somebody else does better, and hopefully you will, but that's my own experience.

Good luck!

You've just got to crack it out and send it over as a raw coin, you'll have more luck that way. I've only had one coin that came back lower, an Aust 1922 1/2D MS66BN crossed to MS65BN but I'm sure I can send that coin in again and get a '66 out of it.

Still leading a few lots, so I might take more than 1 coin home.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am working on my concession speech >>

I hope you didn't deliver it. I thought the prices were reasonable on many of the lots this evening. Watching the little screen, it seemed like the floor was dead. Note to self: don't consign my lots when the auction they will be in is planned for Friday evening. >>

"seemed like" ???

Their floor was nearly vacant (and comatose as well); no Brits. Warren said that few Brit dealers of note were able to get out of London. Nice coins were to be had.......at least if you bought the "right" coins.......i.e. One man's 65 is not another man's 65. image

There were a few "near runaway" lots, but early milled was a huge snoozer, of course it hasn't really changed much in the last 10 years.

One big group was the 'broken up' 1911 4-pc gold set. Collectively, they hammered for $16k, and they were nearly perfect proofs despite the "66" grades from NGC. A common, but stellar 1858 penny in 65BN brought some MOON MONEY at $900. That '35 crown that brought PLUTO MONEY at the NYINC brought out 6-7 other proofs, all were suborbital, save the last two.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    There floor was nearly vacant (and comatose as well); no Brits. Warren said that few Brit dealers of note were able to get out of London.

Well, well, well. So I was ridiculed for suggesting that prices might be affected by the volcano! Looks like my thread might have been relevant after all!! image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Good thinking, I should've put in some bids on the British, I didn't think I'd have any cash spare after the Aussie section.
  • Options

<< <i>There floor was nearly vacant (and comatose as well); no Brits. Warren said that few Brit dealers of note were able to get out of London.

Well, well, well. So I was ridiculed for suggesting that prices might be affected by the volcano! Looks like my thread might have been relevant after all!! image >>

Yeah, the fortunate British bidders should name this portion of their collections, The Ash Cloud™ Collection. image

• Options
    The British material that was auctioned early fetched some pretty steep bids I think.

I put in a few fairly low bids on coins that wouldn't be coming up until very late and went to bed.

Surprisingly I got 3 of them; so, yes, the floor bidders-particularly one gal that was chiming in
    on every danged lot-must have had a few beers and toodled off by that time image
  • Options

<< <i>The British material that was auctioned early fetched some pretty steep bids I think.

I put in a few fairly low bids on coins that wouldn't be coming up until very late and went to bed.

Surprisingly I got 3 of them; so, yes, the floor bidders-particularly one gal that was chiming in
    on every danged lot-must have had a few beers and toodled off by that time image >>

image That was probably Danita who acknowledges (calls out) the LIVE bids as they come in from the Internet for each lot. image

BTW, there is still a bit of latency (but not much) on the bids coming in from LIVE, or maybe some indecisive bidders. Let's just say Heritage's system seems to be a huge improvement over the old "eBay LIVE" which usually left those bidders out in the cold even though they were trying to bid.
  • Options
    Well, based on the early returns it looks as if Wybrit deserves some credit or in the alternative, I am not the best judge of value.

It is quite possible I have won one item.

I will disclose that I lost the 1903 and 1906 Florins- congrats to the winners

I was unsuccessful in connection with my efforts to obtain the 1928 Wreath Crown- I suspect this one looks great in hand and I blame myself for this.

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look like I'm going to get anything image
  • Options

<< <i>Well, based on the early returns it looks as if Wybrit deserves some credit or in the alternative, I am not the best judge of value.

It is quite possible I have won one item.

I will disclose that I lost the 1903 and 1906 Florins- congrats to the winners

I was unsuccessful in connection with my efforts to obtain the 1928 Wreath Crown- I suspect this one looks great in hand and I blame myself for this. >>

Not that it's any of my business, but as a neutral observer I can share one thing I've learned with these auctions. I see an effort by Coinkat to win at least 3 coins here. I'd have dropped at least one if not two and concentrate my efforts on one item, read overpay for it. I have yet to regret overpaying for a coin, but I have often regretted being the underbidder.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Syracusian-

I appreciate your comments- I collect for fun- loosing at auctions is okay and I will not loose any sleep over it-

My concession speech is really meant to add alittle humor-

Completely off topic, there were two guys that appeared on Saturday Night Live about 20-25 years ago- The Frankin and Davis Show. One of their shows was a spoof on a Congressional race and it was very, very funny-

Another featured a concession speech which was even better- I still laugh just thinking about it