Home Sports Talk
Options

What is your greatest sports heartbreak?

RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
I mean, the sports loss you suffered when you felt absolutely crushed?
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Laker's beating the King's in '02.
  • Options
    Still smarting from the '04 playoff collapse...
  • Options

<< <i>Still smarting from the '04 playoff collapse... >>

Oh, & let me add the '95 playoff loss against the Mariners which ended up costing Donnie Baseball his only shot at The World Series. At the time I was sure he'd be back, but sadly that was not the case.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Game three of the 2002 Stanley Cup Finals. My wife and I hadn't missed a game all year. We were the Cinderella team and we were playing the vaunted Red Wings. But somehow we split in Detroit and came back to Raleigh tied. We played Detroit tough all game and held a one goal lead going late into the third period. In the final minute, Detroit pulls Hasek and sends out the extra skater. Brett Hull gets one past Arturs Irbe and we go to overtime. Then another overtime. Then another overtime. Finally, in the third overtime, Igor Larionov scored on a breakaway giving the favored Red Wings a 2-1 series lead. It just took the wind out of our sails and we got blown out in the next two games. Had we held that lead or won in overtime, I think we might have had a shot. Maybe not. They were so much better. But so was every other team we had played in the playoffs, so who knows?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Being a San Francisco Giants fan. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UK's loss to Duke in 1992. Even though it is widely regarded as the greatest college basketball game ever, it hurt to be on the losing side after thinking UK was going to win. Sean Woods hit an incredible shot with only a few seconds left. Then Christian $%&* Laettner hit that amazing shot to win it.

Shane

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Sunday, December 30, 1979.

Cowboys lose to the Rams in the Playoffs by 2 points--Roger Staubach's last game.

I was 11 years old and remember being so upset that Staubach couldn't lead one more come from behind victory. I vowed that I no longer liked Staubach and would not wear any of the #12 T-Shirts I owned ever again. Of course, I got over it after a day or so, and forgave my all-time favorite player--but for that night I was crushed.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    1997 rec league basketball championship game
    1998 MIAA volleyball tournament
    2002 MASCAC indoor track-and-field championships
    2007 Maine Strongman
    Tom
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    three come to mind...

2003 Game 7 - Wakefield gives up a HR to Aaron Boone. I was sure they were winning that series. Remarkably, the memory still upsets me, despite what happened in 04/07. My dad's gravestone says "Never Saw The Red Sox Win The World Series." After that game I was sure mind would too.

Super Bowl XLIV - Helmet catch helps beat Patriots after Manning should have been sacked on the same play. I still wake up in the middle of the night wondering how Manning wasn't brought down. Even as I write this I'm still sullied by the fact that I don't own six different 19-0 T-Shirts and hats. That team was such a monster. Unquestionably the best team to not win a title in any sport, ever.

2009 UEFA Champions League Semi-Final - Barcelona scores 5 minutes into injury time to tie and advance on the away goals tiebreaker and thwart Chelsea - which had lost the Final in 08 when captain John Terry missed a crucial penalty kick in a shootout against Man United. If Barca doesn't score, the 09 final is a rematch against United.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 - Broncos lose to the Cowboys in the 1978 Superbowl;

#2 - Broncos lose to the Giants in the 1987 Superbowl;

#3 - Broncos lose to the Redskins 42-10 in the 1988 Superbowl [getting Blizted for 5 TDs in the 2nd quarter resulting in a 10-0 lead turning into a 35-10 deficit]; and

#4 -Broncos lose to the 49rs in the 1990 Superbowl 55-10.

Redemption and glory arrived when the Broncos won the 1998 and 1999 Superbowls against the Packers and Falcons.
  • Options
    1.- 1997 WS...Renteria off Mesa.
    2.- 1986 "The Drive"
    3.- 1987 "The Fumble"
    4. 1991- Jordan over Ehlo
    1930's-1950's Cleveland Indians Collector.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    91 WS
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Laker's beating the King's in '02. >>

As I recall, the Kings beat the Lakers, they just could not handle the officials. Seriously, I was not even watching, but I have heard and read from several sources that one of those games ranks with the worst officiating of all-time.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Houston Oilers collapse against Buffalo.

That game was the start of my total indifference towards the NFL that I have today.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    1984, Cubs v Padres.
  • Options

<< <i>Game three of the 2002 Stanley Cup Finals. My wife and I hadn't missed a game all year. We were the Cinderella team and we were playing the vaunted Red Wings. But somehow we split in Detroit and came back to Raleigh tied. We played Detroit tough all game and held a one goal lead going late into the third period. In the final minute, Detroit pulls Hasek and sends out the extra skater. Brett Hull gets one past Arturs Irbe and we go to overtime. Then another overtime. Then another overtime. Finally, in the third overtime, Igor Larionov scored on a breakaway giving the favored Red Wings a 2-1 series lead. It just took the wind out of our sails and we got blown out in the next two games. Had we held that lead or won in overtime, I think we might have had a shot. Maybe not. They were so much better. But so was every other team we had played in the playoffs, so who knows? >>

It's funny you bring up that game, because it was played on my wedding night. We had that game going on a T.V. in the corner of the freighthouse where we had our reception, and by OT we must have had 50 people gathered around a 12" B&W television set. When Larionov potted the winner the whole place went totally berserk- definitely one of my finer sports memories in the last 20 years or so.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Donnie Moore and the California Angels of 1986. It still makes me sick; and Moore lost his career and life because of that 1 pitch to Dave Henderson.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Red Sox/Cubs fan transplanted in Chicago, I had high hopes for the 2003 World Series. But...

My wife and I went to game 7 of the NLCS at Wrigley and saw the Cubs lose, then flew to NY and watched the Red Sox lose game 7 to the Yanks. We had really good WS tix for Wrigley too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    double post - ignore
  • Options
    Scott Effing Spiezio, 2002 World Series, Game 6. Nothing else even close.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1984 Padres and 1994-95 Chargers.

Kirk Gibson, Jack Morris, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, et al..... can all rot you know where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! image

Oh, and the Holy F'ing Roller!!!!! it still pisses me off thinking about it!!!!! image

Steve
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Scott Effing Spiezio, 2002 World Series, Game 6. Nothing else even close. >>

Spiezio? How Troy Effing Glaus?

When the Braves were in SF a few weeks ago, the fans booed Glaus every time he came to bat. image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    As I recall, the Kings beat the Lakers, they just could not handle the officials. Seriously, I was not even watching, but I have heard and read from several sources that one of those games ranks with the worst officiating of all-time.

Without a doubt the officiating had a few major problems. However, I hate to blame the officials. The King's had opportunities to win that series even with the bad officiating.

I have vivid memories of game 4. Oh the pain. I think the Kings were up by 24 points just before the half. After the Laker's were given a half court shot at the buzzer, that was clearly after the clock expired, the King's were up 14. Here's a quote I just found at espn.com in the game recap, "Samaki Walker's desperation 3-pointer -- which he released after the buzzer -- cut the lead to 65-51 at halftime." However, up 14 at halftime who cares I was still feeling confident... and then at the end Robert Horry stuck the dagger in with the 3 pointer at the buzzer. Walked out of my friends house almost speechless. A horrible day for most Sacramento residents. I am indigestion all over! Gosh darn it!

The really bad officiating was game 5. I believe that's the "Doanghy" game.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Scott Effing Spiezio, 2002 World Series, Game 6. Nothing else even close. >>

Spiezio? How Troy Effing Glaus? >>

Well, I mean the entire experience of that wretched game, but I remember Spiezio's 3-run bomb off of F-Rod most of all. The way the Giants blew a 5-0 lead, you just knew they'd come out flat and lifeless in Game 7, and they sure did...
  • Options
    Thanks for all the talk about the SF Giant's meltdown. As a Dodger fan it does bring a smile to my face to know the Giant's have not won a world series in my lifetime. image
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unquestionably the best team to not win a title in any sport, ever. >>

I would argue the 1996 Detroit Red Wings. League record 62 wins, the Russian Five, etc. Several lock HOFers (Fedorov, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Coffey, Larionov, Fetisov) and several borderline HOFers (Vernon, Osgood, Ciccarelli), and the best coach in sports history (Scotty Bowman). And, of course, the great "What If?" that is Vladimir Konstantinov. IMHO, he would have been a HOFer if he'd stayed healthy but who knows?

For me, the greatest sports heartbreaks:

- Michigan vs Colorado, the Kordell Steward "Hail Mary" game

- Red Wings vs Devils, 1995 Finals, the "How to ruin a sports league through atrocious officiating" series

- Tigers vs Cardinals, 2006 World Series

The biggest of all, though, wasn't on the playing field - the 1997 Red Wings limo crash:

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>91 WS >>

I was on the other end of the stick, nothing to be ashamed of, that was one HELL of a series. Best EVER in MLB history, by far.

As a Vikings fan, 98 of course followed by 09...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't say there is a single greatest-

The Cubs loosing to the Padres in 1984 NL Play-offs- it would have been great to see the Cubs play the Tigers in the WS in a rematch 39 years later

The Illinois loss to UCLA in the 1984 Rosebowl was very tough to watch- It was more like a nightmare than anything else- I suppose it was pay back for the 1947 Rosebowl game

I am sure there are others

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Game 6: Calvin Freakin' Schiraldi, 1 strike away from ending the Curse, throwing an 0-2 pitch right down Broadway to Ray Knight. image

2. Nebraska, with the "Team of the Century" going for 2 to win the 1984 Orange Bowl -- the conversion just out of Jeff Smith's reach. I damn near broke the TV in our dorm lounge.
  • Options
    1992 when the pirates were 2 outs away from going to the world series. it was also Barry Bonds last game in a pirates uniform.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    superbowl 32....at least i didnt go to that one. i was at superbowl 31 instead!!!!
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>91 WS >>

I was on the other end of the stick, nothing to be ashamed of, that was one HELL of a series. Best EVER in MLB history, by far.

As a Vikings fan, 98 of course followed by 09... >>

I wouldn't say by far. Actually I think the 2001 WS was better. Beating possibly the best relief pitcher ever in Game 7 is pretty huge.

My biggest heartbreak is the Bulls beating the Suns in the 1993 Finals.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me the heartbreak is much worse the younger you are. 1961 and 1962 NCAA final losing both years to Cincinnati. I loved the Reds but hated UC. 1969 loss to that team to the North that prevented that Buckeye football team being recognized as one of the best ever was difficult. Now losing the title game is dissapointing but life goes on. As a side note my daughter was working her way through school and one day says "Dad, I found a great engineering school. I'm moving to Cincinnati and starting at UC this fall." She did fine. At her graduation I had to sit in an auditorium and look at their championship banners for 61 and 62. I thought maybe the Lord was teaching me some kind of lesson.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Cubs blowing a 2-0 games lead in '84 to Padres.
    Followed closely by Cubs blowing another World Series appearance in 2003 to the Marlins
    Followed by Red Sox collapse in game 6 against Mets in '86
    Followed by Dwight Clark outjumping Everson Walls in the '81 NFL Championship game

Thats enough for right now as I'm getting depressed just thinkin about them.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Unquestionably the best team to not win a title in any sport, ever. >>

I would argue the 1996 Detroit Red Wings. League record 62 wins, the Russian Five, etc. Several lock HOFers (Fedorov, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Coffey, Larionov, Fetisov) and several borderline HOFers (Vernon, Osgood, Ciccarelli), and the best coach in sports history (Scotty Bowman). And, of course, the great "What If?" that is Vladimir Konstantinov. IMHO, he would have been a HOFer if he'd stayed healthy but who knows?

For me, the greatest sports heartbreaks:

- Michigan vs Colorado, the Kordell Steward "Hail Mary" game

- Red Wings vs Devils, 1995 Finals, the "How to ruin a sports league through atrocious officiating" series

- Tigers vs Cardinals, 2006 World Series

The biggest of all, though, wasn't on the playing field - the 1997 Red Wings limo crash:

Tabe >>

I don't think the '96 Wings were better than the 19-0 Pats team. The Wings got positively worked by the Avs in the conference finals- that series shouldn't have even made it to six games. That Pats team, meanwhile, just dominated every single opponent they ran into for four consecutive months.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool topic!!! My dad lived in Miami when I was a child. Even though I didn't live anywhere near him, I was a closet Miami Dolphin fan during that time. The year they lost to the Redskins in the Superbowl I literally broke down and cried. There have been some disappoints since then, but that one always sticks out as being true heartbreak!
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think the '96 Wings were better than the 19-0 Pats team. >>

Don't you mean the 18*-1 Pats team? image
  • Options
    JIMfromDCJIMfromDC Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Mine is definitely the 2001 NCAA Final Four with gotdamn Duke coming back by 11 points.. Watching the ending of that game made me want to vomit.. Still pisses me off till today even though we won it the next year
    Tickle Your Fancy Currency

Collector of DC Nationals (want list in yellow)
  • Options

<< <i>Mine is definitely the 2001 NCAA Final Four with ... Duke coming back by 11 points.. Watching the ending of that game made me want to vomit.. >>

I think Duke is the closest thing men's college hoops have to Notre Dame football, or maybe the Yankees. If you follow the sport, you're probably not indifferent about them; you're probably either a fan or you want to see them go down in flames.
  • Options
    Being a Bills fan is filled with lots of heartache, and ofcourse 4 games are at the top of the heartache list. But it was the last Super Bowl that hurt the most for me image
    We had that game, then Thurman remembered he was a Bill and forgot to hold on to the ball.

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    Ravens losing to New England at home due to a time out that should never have been called! And The Ravens losing to the Colts last two min. of the first half melt down! OH and just the Ravens LOSING! Will not happen again! (well a man can dream!) Go Ravens!
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    84 Cubs
    03 Cubs
    91-92 Blackhawks Stanley Cup Finals loss
    08 Notre Dame Hockey NCAA Championship Game loss
    89 Cubs
    93 Greg Maddux signs with the Braves thanks to the incompetent former Cubs GM Larry Himes & TribCo.
    96 Blackhawks let Jeremy Roenick walk
    99 Chris Chelios re-signing with the Swedish Elite Red Wings (after saying he never would play for them again).
    86 Bears
    03 Cubs hire Dusty Baker
    07 Cubs sign Alfonso Soriano 8y/$136M
    07 Cubs extend Carlos Zambrano 5y/$91.5M
    07 Cubs hire John McDonough (see Soriano signing)
    08-10 Blackhawks hire & employ John McDonough
    79-present - St. Louis Cardinals fans still legally allowed to reproduce
  • Options
    2001 Mariners that won 116 and ended up fizzling against the Yanks in the ALCS. All those wins and can't make it to the WS, win or lose that's all I wanted. Biggest letdown for any Mariners fan.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I don't think the '96 Wings were better than the 19-0 Pats team. The Wings got positively worked by the Avs in the conference finals- that series shouldn't have even made it to six games. That Pats team, meanwhile, just dominated every single opponent they ran into for four consecutive months. >>

Having to come back after a multi-OT game 7 against a super-tough St Louis team the previous round is what did in Detroit. Combine that with Roy playing the series of his life, 6 straight games of atrocious officiating, and you get the Wings knocked out.

But, yeah, regular season, they were better than anybody that didn't win a title. Remember, they were under .500 after 10 games and still went 62-13-7.

Tabe
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Great thread!! Love seeing all the '84 WS refs!! VERY underrated series. How the Cubs let that one slip i'll never know! I have all the games and watch them and still scratch my head! I even have an '84 Bevacqua jersey I wear as a joke!!

Anyway, besides the '06 Tiger meltdown in the WS (after a brilliant post season), I gotta go with possibly the greatest game played by any team last year.... that being game #163 Tigers/Twins (and i don't wanna hear it, DaBeef, y'all got swept by the Yanks!!!). Laird goes 0-6 and leaves 10 men on base, Leyland pulls a commanding Porcello after 5 2/3 to let the pen crumble (forget Bailey, HE was the ROY!!) and so on and so on... Props go, however, to the 24-4 Twins in Sept....
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Being a native Houstonian, there are too many to list.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I don't think the '96 Wings were better than the 19-0 Pats team. The Wings got positively worked by the Avs in the conference finals- that series shouldn't have even made it to six games. That Pats team, meanwhile, just dominated every single opponent they ran into for four consecutive months. >>

Having to come back after a multi-OT game 7 against a super-tough St Louis team the previous round is what did in Detroit. Combine that with Roy playing the series of his life, 6 straight games of atrocious officiating, and you get the Wings knocked out.

But, yeah, regular season, they were better than anybody that didn't win a title. Remember, they were under .500 after 10 games and still went 62-13-7.

Tabe >>

Then I guess we agree to disagree.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    Several come to mind in no particular order.

1986 WS Game 6 Bill Buckner
    2003 ALCS Game 7 Grady little staying with Pedro

1981 NFC Championship Game Boys VS 49ers Montana to Clark
    1994 NFC Championship Game Boys VS 49ers down 21-0 in 1st qtr

1990 Stanley Cup game 1 Bruins VS Oilers Klima scores in 3rd OT

1987 NBA Finals C's VS Lakers Magic "Baby Hookshot"
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭
    6 straight games of atrocious officiating, and you get the Wings knocked out.

you guys can agree to disagree, but what you Wings fans can all agree on is that no matter if you're a mouthbreather Wings fan with an octopus in your pants, or the guy who runs the Abel to Yzerman site, the refs are always out to get the Wings....this despite the 20 years of larceny on illegal screens/picks/interference and routinely cheating on the dot. btw, can you guys get Henrik Zetterberg to sign my copy of Requiem for a Dream? Loved his portrayal of Harry Goldfarb.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    The 1972 AFC Divisional Playoff game between the Raiders and Steelers, aka The Immaculate Reception. I was nine at the time, and I remember thinking "Bradshaw's in trouble, game over!", when all of the sudden, Franco Harris is racing down the left sideline, and he just shakes Jimmy Warren off him like he's a flea, and ends up scoring the game winning TD. I was in shock for the rest of the day, and maybe a little numb for a good while after that. The Raiders probably would have taken a beating from the Dolphins, as the Steelers did a week later, but that's not really the point.