Home Metal Detecting
Options

Historical Site Falling Into The River...

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here in ND there have been many old millitary posts, the one I'm interested in is fort abercrombie. Its one of the earliest if not the first establishment in the area and its being washed into the river on the North side of it. In the last two years we have had major flooding in the area and nearly 50 feet of the site has collapsed. This land is state property and digging/mding is not allowed, I just hate to think of what all is being washed away. The finds I wouldnt even want to keep all would be donated to the on site museum.
Whats other peoples oppinion on this and how/if the state would allow such a thing, how would I go about gettin started.

That group of posts straight ahead is one of the corners.
[URL=http://img190.imageshack.us/i/dsc01023ra.jpg/]image[/URL]

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would contact the historical society in charge of the site, the state agency that administrates it, a university archeological group and the local press (the press being the last). Explain the situation and suggest how activity now could possibly save historical artifacts soon to be lost to the ravages of nature. If not positively received, or just no interest, bring in the press and the media. These groups do respond to media pressure. Cheers, RickO