Home Metal Detecting
Options

One Room School Sites

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was able to hunt on 2 of my favorites one room school sites on Saturday. At the first one I found an Arrowhead and a 38 shell case. At the second one, the one where my mom went to school, I found a 1903 penny and 2 marbles. I don't usually find alot at these sites but everything that I find sure is interesting. I keep all of the finds from these sites seperate in display cases. After all these years it does add up "one piece at a time". When they get the corn planted and it rains I'll be back.

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive tried a old one room school my but nothing turned up, not even bullet casings which I know should have been there. My dad and I used to setup targets on the side of it and use it for pistol practice. So someone beat me to it. Nice to hear you can find a penny that your mom might have dropped as a kid though.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not hear of a lot of finds at one room school houses... I guess because kids did not carry money back in those times. I assume the marbles turned up when you were digging other targets. Some of those old ones have collector value. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I searched this site, and was told I was the first to search it.....I found one wheat cent from the 30's....and not a single thing else. No trash, nothing. Talk about a disappointment!

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I searched this and found hundreds of coins--- all modern, though. The Alba schoolhouse was founded in 1895. I found out later that there was a penny-throw contest there every year. It's only about half a mile up the road from my house.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the school sites that I hunt are now out in fields. You have to do a little detective work to find out were they once stood. If you find coal cinders you know you are in the right area.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coooooooool stuff. i still wish i lived in up state new york where theres more stuff around there then here in the north east. just more venues there image