Home Precious Metals
Options

Pd @ $519 overseas tonight

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
So my expectation of a sell-off @ $500 didn't come to pass.
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    wow, that is crazy! (seeing that it was half that price not too long ago)

• Options
    Pd has been amazing to watch. Weiss, do you have a selling point? Or are you in it for the long haul?
  • Options
    I'm ~ 100% gain now, so a smart move would be to sell 1/2 and know I got what I got "free".

But I've never been accused of being smart. And honestly I don't really have enough to matter. I may sell today, I may sell in a month. But my gut says I'll probably never sell.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    That sounds like a good plan. I told myself I would never sell. But watching it gain so fast it makes it bit tough to hold onto. I don't think I'll sell anytime soon. If I did, I'd have to find something else to purchase. Then I'd run the risk of Pd going even higher and regret my sale.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never look a gift horse in the mouth, and just like Weiss, my average cost is around $260 per oz. I've sold 4/15th of my holdings and will follow the market closely for potential further price appreciation. PM's are just another commodity to me and handled accordingly.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Tulving & CNI dropped there premiums.

CNI was buying Pd ML's for $15 over now its at spot

First time shame on you
    2nd time shame on me!

I when in to CNI to sell some Pd the other day. I call up & also send an email to confirm there buy prices & they pay in cash.

1. walk in & the guy at the counter rude is rude.
    2. Hand them a roll of Pd maples they say they pay under spot!! wtf
    3. Hand them some maples in sealed plastic instead, they give me what they originally quoted image
    4. Invoice say part cash part check ????
    5. guy comes back with it all in check!!!!!!! says they do not have any $$$$$ LOL WTF

My blood is slowly starting to boil. I figure i came this far, I'll finish the deal. Ill jus run a quarter mile down the rd to there bank that issued it & cash it right there! image

YEAH RIGHT! There bank says they do not have enough cash & I need to go to another bank that has the funds. This bank that i am now heading to is on the way home, so no biggie. This bank now wants to charge me a "CHECK CASHING FEE"

I DRIVE RIGHT BACK TO CNI & TELL THEM THIS IS BS AN GIVE ME MY PALLADIUM BACK.

He then proceeds to give me cash

Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options
    Pd jus keeps on rising! lol
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pd has followed the same waves up as gold and platinum. And basically each has completed a 5 wave set. It's apparently still on fumes. I would not be surprised to see it follow the other metals down very shortly.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>Pd has followed the same waves up as gold and platinum. And basically each has completed a 5 wave set. It's apparently still on fumes. I would not be surprised to see it follow the other metals down very shortly.

roadrunner >>

In my opinion, Palladium is "marching to the beat of a different drummer" then Gold or Silver. Agree, pd may be due for a correction, but I would not place it with the "other" metals (gold & silver) In my opinion, along with Platinum & Rhodium, it's an industrial metal, such as steel, aluminum, nickel or tin. Do the industrial metals follow a "wave pattern," or is their price based on demand, subject to world economic conditions?
  • Options
    $532 as of 7:45 pm central 04-13.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as I don't buy any, palladium will continue up. You heard it here first.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Palladium is on fire!
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    Any more doubt that it is the metal of the future?

Keep on Stack'n!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    Up to $544 @ 9AM. It's run up to fast in my opinion, thanks in part to the pd ETF, it does need a correction before my next price target of $600-650.
  • Options
    Just sold mine @ $545.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Weiss! Come January 2011, I expect the Pd will pay the property taxes and a nice dinner out for the Misses and me. If not by that date, I'm reasonably certain that it will some year. (P.S., jmski52, do me a favor and don't buy any Pd around Christmas time image)
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, Palladium is "marching to the beat of a different drummer" then Gold or Silver. Agree, pd may be due for a correction, but I would not place it with the "other" metals (gold & silver) In my opinion, along with Platinum & Rhodium, it's an industrial metal, such as steel, aluminum, nickel or tin. Do the industrial metals follow a "wave pattern," or is their price based on demand, subject to world economic conditions?

Unlike the more manipulated gold and silver, palladium has tended to move in a nice tight channel. But once it reaches the upper trend line it's usually time to pull back. I wouldn't label it a pure industrial metal like tin, lead, copper, tungsten, etc. It is used primarily in industry but does have a "precious" component to it. I think all the metals run in similar wave sets. But like anything, a wave set can be blown away in mid-stream by a major fundamental change or world-changing event. Those don't happen very often. Usually the markets already sense them coming even if the public cannot and price it in accordingly....hence the wave set is already changing length/shape to accomodate.

Looks like this morning may have been a blow off top? Still, there are no divergences of note in the momentum indicators indicating a lot of strength. But like any metal, Pall tends to follow a pretty clear 5 wave pattern. And Palladium from Feb 8th to April 13th is about as textbook as you could ask for. The last 13-14 days have seemingly formed the 5 smaller legs of wave 5. Sometimes they do extend into 7 or even 9 waves on extraordinary strength/mania but not very often. PALL has now jumped outside the daily trading bands (BB20,2) as well as touching/exceeding the top of the 2 month trend channel. Daily volume has been generally declining since peaking last Wed.

In comparing PALL to PPLT, GLD, and SLV it seems that it ignored Monday's overall metals downdraft but has taken advantage of the rebound in those other ETF's to post a new high this morning. That certainly makes sense in light of the strength/pricing of the overall stock market. From here it looks to me that GLD and SLV will start their next leg down. It's going to be hard for Palladium to hang in there much longer by itself, especially after a 5 leg - 2 month bull run. But in re-counting the waves in the 5th leg it's still possible that today's parabolic move was only the 3rd...with one more up leg to follow after a corrective 4th completes.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Weiss SOLD something?! Now THAT is the news of the day! image
  • Options

<< <i>Any more doubt that it is the metal of the future?

Keep on Stack'n!! >>

Nope, never doubted you in the first place. You should change the name of your Avatar to PalladiumBarron. image
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Disclaimer: I don't own any Palladium, so my comments might be sour grapes.

But, I gotta say, the 5-year chart has me a bit nervous...the precipitous drop in 07/08 from about $600 to sub $200 is pretty ugly. I realize that drop is nicely timed (maybe just a bit early) for the current recession, but all other factors aside, I guess I have to still sit this one out. Must confess I looked at the 5-year about 6 mos ago ready to jump in and didn't...pretty dumb.
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    You should change the name of your Avatar to PalladiumBarron.

I LIKE IT!!

Really ......... I do expect all of the metals to take a drop soon ....

BUTTTT ....... they are going MUCH HIGHER.

I am not sharp enough to buy low & sell high ......

So I take the safe way for me ...... I just keep buying when ever the $$$ are there.

And yes, I do plan on selling at some point, when I feel that the government has it right,

and that is not right now ...... IMHBAO!!

Keep on stack'n!!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    Here is a take on Pd from Kitco.

Pd price spike.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    Weiss, I own no palladium, but - tell me what other investments you would prefer with your proceeds from the sale of palladium in lieu of palladium itself? I understand the need to want to "take profits" but why? Now, the gains are all taxable for you. Did you need the money for something else, or do you see something that you think looks markedly better? IMHO, any trade out of pms is a turnstile trade. Are you churning your own account? Seriously, what could be a better/safer/potentially more lucrative place for investing than pms at this moment? Just askin'.

sidebar - I don't see anything better on the horizon. As I was driving back from Chicago yesterday, it sounded like all of the reports on the economy were favorable. I say, "bunk". I don't believe any of it. None of the problems have been fixed.

signed, Perplexed in Missouriimage

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>Weiss, I own no palladium, but - tell me what other investments you would prefer with your proceeds from the sale of palladium in lieu of palladium itself? I understand the need to want to "take profits" but why? Now, the gains are all taxable for you. Did you need the money for something else, or do you see something that you think looks markedly better? IMHO, any trade out of pms is a turnstile trade. Are you churning your own account? Seriously, what could be a better/safer/potentially more lucrative place for investing than pms at this moment? Just askin'.

sidebar - I don't see anything better on the horizon. As I was driving back from Chicago yesterday, it sounded like all of the reports on the economy were favorable. I say, "bunk". I don't believe any of it. None of the problems have been fixed.

signed, Perplexed in Missouriimage >>

I can't answer for Weiss, but my proceeds from my sales are going into "cash" for the time being. I totally agree with your assumption that the economy is definitely not "fixed" at this point. Jobless claims had a "surprising?" increase for the latest reporting period.
  • Options

<< <i>Weiss, I own no palladium, but - tell me what other investments you would prefer with your proceeds from the sale of palladium in lieu of palladium itself? I understand the need to want to "take profits" but why? Now, the gains are all taxable for you. Did you need the money for something else, or do you see something that you think looks markedly better? IMHO, any trade out of pms is a turnstile trade. Are you churning your own account? Seriously, what could be a better/safer/potentially more lucrative place for investing than pms at this moment? Just askin'.

signed, Perplexed in Missouriimage >>

Does it have to be about investments? image

This was a relatively small amount of metal, but not a bad return on investment for almost exactly a year.

My wife and I collect arts & crafts (mission style, Prairie school) era furniture, pottery, etc.

A year ago, the amount I bought the Pd for could not have purchased this:

L. AND J.G. STICKLEY
    Sideboard, Oak, circa 1910, with plate rack
    Branded mark
    46 1/2" x 56" x 22"

Flash forward to yesterday, and the amount I sold the Pd for can.

That's pretty cool.

And if I were to buy it, the L&JG will continue to increase in value as it is used and appreciated in our home.

Sometimes it's not a bad idea to put gains into perspective.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Ah Weiss. So, you are into real furniture. Not even a veneer! Good Job.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Weiss, time to visit the Antique Road Show, if it happens to stop by in your neck of the woods, and have them appraise this beautiful piece of furniture.
  • Options

<< <i>Weiss, time to visit the Antique Road Show, if it happens to stop by in your neck of the woods, and have them appraise this beautiful piece of furniture. >>

I haven't bought it yet image

It's coming up for auction soon. It's just an example of what I could buy in the area for what I sold the Pd for.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Pd is a beast!!!!!
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
  • Options

<< <i>Pd is a beast!!!!! >>

No it's fickled...reminds me of my x'wifeimage
  • Options
    $565/oz on Wednesday after a short-lived retreat. Not too shabby.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    I'm officially glad I sold my pd @ $545.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

<< <i>I'm officially glad I sold my pd @ $545. >>

That makes 2 of us...sold mine at a slightly higher price ... I still have 10 oz saved for a rainy day though.
  • Options
    Okay Weiss, you were officially "Right". In a few months however, you may be "Wrong".image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Another 10% drop so far today. I'll start nibbling again if it drops below $400
  • Options
    I bought the dip imageimage

$398 was just too tempting.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>I bought the dip imageimage

$398 was just too tempting. >>

Shame on you! image

What did you buy? I was looking for a Maple or a Pamp bar but I am not sure if I want to pay $30/40 over spot + shipping.

Edited to add: for a Russian Ballerina wouldn't be that bad though...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I bought the dip imageimage

$398 was just too tempting. >>

Shame on you! image

What did you buy? I was looking for a Maple or a Pamp bar but I am not sure if I want to pay $30/40 over spot + shipping. >>

I didn't want to be greedy (or stupid). So I just bought one bar:

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
  • Options
    Nice pickup .... but I would have waited ... Overseas markets do not look promising..down another 3% so far.
  • Options
    Weiss .... Your crystal ball is shining....pd now up by 5%......
    As the saying goes "the early bird catches the worm."
    Great buy.
  • Options
    So I "bought" last night at $398-ish and see it's been above $430 today.
    I got lucky. It was a roll of the dice.
    The way I figure it, and the way I thought about it last night when I pulled the trigger: I was able to go from 5 oz at ~$270 to 10 oz at ~$285 my "cost". I'd have done just as well (or better) if I'd just bought 10 oz originally a year ago instead of just 5.

I'm not holding my breath on it keeping its price. Still, it's pretty neat to see.

--Severian the Lame