Home Metal Detecting
Options

I'm Giddy!!

Hey all,

As you can see, I'm pretty new to the forums but I've been an enthusiast for years. I just recently got my ACE 250 and have been eager to use it. That leads us to today...

A friend has a house that dates back to mid to late 1700's. Abutting her property is an old mill and three foundations. I couldn't wait to get there. With my wife and son in tow we got there around 10 a.m. Our friend showed us around and on the right side of her house there is about a 20 foot dropoff. She told us that this is her "digging area" and that she oftens just pulls stuff out of the ground...with no metal detecting...just digging and BINGO..there something is. My wife and son started there and in about 1 minute's time they start pulling up crazy stuff. Bottles, Gem Junior safety razors, 3 skeleton keys, and more. They move a rock on the side of the hill...boom out falls a spoon and a fork. The fork says "U.S." on it. The spoon says something about Florida, has an Eagle and a shield on it.

I was off using the Ace and hitting all kinds of signals...actually way too many. I really struggled with all the signals, moving signals and signals off the board. I will talk about that later. Anyways, I get a signal that jumped around and I dig away. About 4 inches down I see this coin but I can't tell what it is. Gently brushing it off I see a woman sitting with a trident on he reverse with what looks like the word "Brittania" On the front I can only see the letters "GIUS III" and the image of a man. Woooooooooohhoooooooo I thought, but I have no clue what it is. It did have a hole in it but I didn't care...i was stoked! We checked around for a bit more and found a few wheaties and scrap stuff and called it a day.

As best I can tell it is some sort of British coin from around 1780-1805. I've seen similar ones online but I can't tell which one mine is. It is just about the size of a Franklin or Liberty half dollar. I included some pics of the day...

I'm heading back 7 a.m. tomorrow!

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im envious...Id take that day of odd treasures over my wheat cent find any day. Good job by the way. And yes I have the same problem with my ace 250 in farm yards, way to many signals to know what to dig almost. Whats helped me is turning the sensitivity down 3-4 clicks.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... seems you have found a dumpsite that has been used for over two hundred years... incredible. Good luck... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    You've got a real treasure site. I'd hit that place hard all summer. Can't wait to see what else you find there.
    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Dave
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome finds so far. Looks like you'll be busy for a while!
  • Options
    The coin is a British George III halfpenny. That design was only produced for 2 years, so it's either 1806 or 1807 (the date would be found below George's head).

Neat find!

Like the others here are saying, I'd be back to that spot every day all summer long! Looks like virgin ground, which is getting more and more scarce!

Congrats!
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I always thought that was somebody sitting in a wheelchair until I looked at one closely one day.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Amazing!.......Here is a buckle I found a few years ago at a colonial site:

I believe it's the exact same buckle...this was in Georgia...
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ace 250 is one of those rare beasts that pleases both newbies and well seasoned pros alike-- it makes a fantastic beginner detector and a really good second detector-- my older brother uses it as his "travel" detector, leaving his White's MXT at home. (So he doesn't worry about a $900 detector in his car in case someone decides to break in)

Congrats on the find!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys both found THE SAME buckle? image

That's bizarre. Until Steve posted that second one, I wouldn't have thought it to be anything but somebody's initial. But seeing TWO of them makes me wonder if that monogram isn't a logo. Looks like "L I"? Or perhaps just a single Old English "I"? Some kind of Infantry plate, perhaps? Hmm. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The fork says "U.S." on it. >>

Military, then. A friend of mine found one like that on a Civil War site.

<< <i>The spoon says something about Florida, has an Eagle and a shield on it. >>

Very interesting. I wish we could see it better. Maybe an old souvenir spoon of some kind? But with the eagle and shield ... hmm.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    I want to know more about the buckels? Amazing to see two of them found by detectorist! My first thought at seeing them was it was a D like as in Detroit Tigers (Baseball season is here you know)! but in looking more and searching on calligraphy styles I am not sure what the letter(s) are... TI LI ???

There appear to be four tabs on both buckels, kind of reminds me of a box cover of some sort, some old tins used a cover that required one to squeeze the box itself to open it. But since the area behind the monogram is open I can't see it being a cover. The sets of dimples (four of them, two on each side of the buckel) each appear to form a parallelogram... I wonder if this is significant? I can't wait to see what someone else can come up with as far as ID. I gave up trying to identify the letter(s) using calligraphy alphabet as my search criteria. I found a new appreciation for people who do calligraphy though!

Very cool finds. I can't wait to hear more!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    On the buckle I have and I suspect NHhunter has, the back of the buckle has a slider bar and a clamp device much like the military belts do.
  • Options
    I rotated the pic for another view..

• Options
    Wow, you have quite a site there, enjoy it and keep us posted. I'm also amazed by the buckles and would love to figure out exactly what they are. No luck so far, though. More photos please when you hunt it some more.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan