Home Precious Metals
Options

AboutAg's website: additional info posted here.

1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
I thought it might be helpful to have this topic dedicated to filling in or adding to the data base started by AboutAg.

I believe I have posted pictures of all these bars in the silver bullion picture thread, so please refer to that topic for reference, and feel free to use the pictures if you like.

About the JM informational data base, I have these serial numbers in the one ounce bar with a blank reverse (1 ounce, variety A): 151135 and 168854; and 283784 with a reverse filled with the JM trademark (1 ounce, variety B). I have a one ounce Liberty variety (1 ounce, MTB) with a serial number of 69410.

I have a few Metalli Preziosi (1 ounce, Italy) one ounce bars, and two distinct varieties. One, which appears to older, has a generally clearer, more defined font in all the lettering, whereas the second type exhibits a font that is fuzzier looking. Both have a tiny jeweler's mark (as do all Italian bars that I've come across) showing a three digit code and two letter city code. For these bars it is preceded by a star, and reads 306 MI, for Milano. Perhaps the three digit code has some kind of significance, but I'm unaware of it at present. So, of these two types, the latter one's jeweler's mark looks something like this: [*306 MI]. Interestingly, the earlier bar has the same mark, but UPSIDE DOWN. You'll need a strong loupe to read these.

Additionally, Metalli Preziosi cooperated with JM in the production of many other sized bars, including 50 grams. The 50 gram bar has exactly the same dimensions as the one ounce bar, but is thicker. The jeweler's mark is the same and is upside down. There is also a 100 gram bar identical to these in design, in two varieties like the one ounce comes in (old and new, with the exact same characteristics), and jeweler's marks are all upside down. I also have one of these with the older font but with the logo of a firm added to the top reverse. The company is not named. The jeweler's mark is upside down.

I have two one-kilo old-pour bars (pictures in the silver bullion thread) without serial numbers, produced by Johnson Matthey and Pauwels of Brussels. The writing is vertical. I know there exists a similar kilo bar with the writing horizontal.

I also have a 50 gram bar produced by Johnson Matthey Brussels, but without the Pauwels name on it. One side is dedicated to a company, Glaverbel. Below is written Moustier 1884-1984. On the other side is written Fine silver in French, and below that, 999 50 G.

I have two 5 ounce bars (variety B), with serial numbers 074966 and 043160. And a 10 ounce (variety A) with a serial number of 038046.

Also, to add to the data base for Englehard's I have some of the bread loaf (or soap bar) (standard poured) 10 ounce bars numbered: P243580, P243602, P243642, P243643, P402553, and an older style (original 999 style poured) P067918.

I hope this helps.

imageimageimage
.....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Comments

• Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭
    Thank you so much -- I've started adding the information you supplied. You have an impressive collection!
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    I also wanted to bring it to the attention of AboutAg that he utilizes a video I made for youtube on his site. He also uses many "still shots" from my videos in caprturing photos for various bars. Im glad at least someone got some use out of those dull and boring videos!image
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you so much -- I've started adding the information you supplied. You have an impressive collection! >>

It's rather meager, but thanks for the compliment. I am glad to be of assistance in documenting these bars for historical purposes.

Do you plan to do another registry for PAMP, Valcambi or Credit Suisse? All have serial numbers on at least some of their bars.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>I also wanted to bring it to the attention of AboutAg that he utilizes a video I made for youtube on his site. He also uses many "still shots" from my videos in caprturing photos for various bars. Im glad at least someone got some use out of those dull and boring videos!image >>

There shouldn't be a video on there (unless it is a link to another site with the video). We gathered pictures from a variety of sources to try to determine the serial numbering systems (and produce mintage estimates), and sometimes will use a picture from in there. If there are pictures from still shots of videos that you made, and would like them removed or have credit given to you, please let me know, and I'll be sure to take care of it. The same goes with anyone if the serial numbers are listed, and you'd prefer to have them removed.

• Options

<< <i>Do you plan to do another registry for PAMP, Valcambi or Credit Suisse? All have serial numbers on at least some of their bars. >>

I'm not sure yet. The idea behind the site is for it to be for investment-type silver (versus collectible), but then again many of the bars we're including are collectible only (e.g. ones that go for 2-5x or more the melt value). There needs to be a line drawn somewhere (or else it will duplicate 'An Indexed Guide to Art Bars', multiplied by the various sizes out there), but that line hasn't been chosen yet. For starters, it looks like the aim will be bars (not rounds) from major refiners/mints that have serial numbers on most of their bars. So the companies you mention could well get pages (and possibly others such as Argor, Degussa, Handy Harmon, Heraeus, Royal Canadian Mint...).
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i>I also wanted to bring it to the attention of AboutAg that he utilizes a video I made for youtube on his site. He also uses many "still shots" from my videos in caprturing photos for various bars. Im glad at least someone got some use out of those dull and boring videos!image >>

There shouldn't be a video on there (unless it is a link to another site with the video). We gathered pictures from a variety of sources to try to determine the serial numbering systems (and produce mintage estimates), and sometimes will use a picture from in there. If there are pictures from still shots of videos that you made, and would like them removed or have credit given to you, please let me know, and I'll be sure to take care of it. The same goes with anyone if the serial numbers are listed, and you'd prefer to have them removed. >>

Under your JM bar section, you link my video to explain the 20,000 mintage of the 5 gram "sailboat" bars. Im flattered that you would use my videos so extensively in your website. Thanks.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Where is the link to AboutAg's website?----BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>Where is the link to AboutAg's website?----BigE >>

Here you go!
  • Options
    thanks!---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    are you planning to add the Gram sized bars? or even gold in the future?
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    There are some 5g bars under "odd size bars"-----BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>Under your JM bar section, you link my video to explain the 20,000 mintage of the 5 gram "sailboat" bars. Im flattered that you would use my videos so extensively in your website. Thanks. >>

I must say, you have a very nice collection! image
  • Options

<< <i>... or even gold in the future? >>

Although the name of the website might imply otherwise, if there is some free time at some point in the future, we'll likely add gold bars as well. But that may be a while...

• Options
    AboutAG, here's another for your database, with Englehard written all over the back.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Another Englehard 1 ounce large E (variety EI-9V) with a serial number of FJ31410.

JM 1 ounce bar, variety B, with serial number 764169. I see you already listed my next Statue of Liberty MTB bar! You're quick!

By the way, I hope you're checking the BST thread because recently I've seen many Englehards shown for sale, and I didn't write down the serial numbers for you.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

• Options
    Please check the silver bullion thread for some more JM and Englehard updates.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD