Home U.S. Coin Forum

Help with so-called dollar; which type of metal on this medal?

Seller's photo's. I was the only bidder at $15.00; branched out from silver only, circ issues, size 21-23. Actually hope to post a mini-grading set soon for circ issues... Got it to match my avatar medal.

Anyways... here are the options? I would do a poll, but don't have time, so I appreciate your replies.

HK-299 Silver. 33mm.
HK-299a Gold. Unique.
HK-300 Gold-plated Bronze.
HK-301 Copper.
HK-302 Yellow Bronze.
HK-303 Bronze.
HK-304 Gilt.
(info credit from So-called Dollar, online reference guide, an awesome labor of love!)

Raw, in hand, looks, feels, smells, tastes (not really) like Cu, but I have not seen much brass in all honesty. I would not buy a brass medal knowingly, but did I?

Thank you for your help,

Don
Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.

Comments

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    303 bronze.
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That one is very cool looking!
    You, (or I) would have paid much more had I seen it too.

peacockcoins

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bronze I saw a lot of it once. One pice 3x1 weighed 900Lb it weighed 23K Lb total. But if you need to know go by a scrap yard and ask if they will test it with there niton gun it will not hert your coin. It will tell you all the Alloys in it.

Hoard the keys.
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to get an X-Ray Fluorescence machine to do alloy analyses (the "niton gun" that Type2 mentions). I'm afraid I don't have a spare $10K floating around. Darn.

Until then, my rule of thumb is to go by color:

Whitish: Silver, aluminum, pewter, or white metal (easy to tell apart)
    Yellowish: Gold, brass, or gilt/gold-plated (easy to tell apart, as long as you don't care about the difference between gilt versus gold-plated)
    Brownish: Copper or bronze (impossible to tell apart)

Based on the picture, this one looks yellowish, so I'd call it brass.

jonathan
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>303 bronze. >>

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    HK302
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yellow bronze.

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like 303 bronze to me.
    I'd say for the price paid you did o.k. no matter what. image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bronze... Cheers, RickO
  • InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the responses. I meant to say 'bronze' not brass in the OP, not having dealt with any issues that struck bronze and not knowing the difference between bronze and yellow bronze. In hand, looks and feels just like copper, but I understand that issue is rare. I'm a sucker for an evenly worn coin, but silver is my favorite subjectively.

Hopefully will get the others posted here before too long.

Don
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file