Home Metal Detecting
Options

My notable finds for March 2010

The first pics are of the coins found for the month of March.
The Morgan is a first for me and my first silver dollar ever.

This next group shot are items found at one of my favorite spots to hunt. It's a 1863 union camp
found in MN.
The breast plate was found by my brother using his Ace 250.
I admit I was a little jealous of him finding the breast plate.
The next group shot are items recovered by a different brother of mine.
The arrowhead was found in the hole while he was digging an iron signal.
Very lucky! Once again, I'm very jealous. Thats the second time that happened.
Two arrowheads found while digging iron by two different brothers. I'm going to start
charging addmission to this site.
Here are some of my finds at the union site.
In this pic it looks to be the start of a die carved out of a bullet. And my first eagle cuff botton.

This group shot has my first bullet casing. Not sure why I have not found more of these.

Comments

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    them are nice finds. ive seen a few here in the north east like that. nice pickups
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent finds. I have never found a Silver Dollar. I'll bet you had a great feeling pulling that big round piece of silver from that hole.
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭

<< <i>I'll bet you had a great feeling pulling that big round piece of silver from that hole. >>

I couldn't believe the size of it. It looked to big to be real.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you hear that "thud"?

That was my jaw hitting the desk.

Not only a silver dollar, but a breastplate, too? You guys SUCK!

Man. That's awesome.

That "arrowhead" (projectile point, actually) is a Paleo. A very NICE paleolithic point, too. I do not know much about them except that is old... very, very old. Like thousands of years. Prehistoric, for sure. It looks nearly identical to the first point I ever found. Mine was also a paleo, made from a whitish quartz material. Not quite as orange as yours. I like the color on that point you have there. That is a potentially valuable piece, I think.

There's an odd bullet in the mix- is that a cleaner bullet?

What about the die (as in dice)? Is it made of lead?

Bravo! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool finds! A silver dollar is on my top 10 wish list.

That must have been spectacular pulling it from the ground.
  • Options

<< <i>

That "arrowhead" (projectile point, actually) is a Paleo. A very NICE paleolithic point, too. I do not know much about them except that is old... very, very old. Like thousands of years. Prehistoric, for sure. It looks nearly identical to the first point I ever found. Mine was also a paleo, made from a whitish quartz material. Not quite as orange as yours. I like the color on that point you have there. That is a potentially valuable piece, I think.

There's an odd bullet in the mix- is that a cleaner bullet?

What about the die (as in dice)? Is it made of lead?

Bravo! image >>

I dont think the odd bullet is a cleaner bullet. Not quit sure what it is.
    The die is made of lead. Not even sure it was meant to be a die, just what it looks like to me. It's a little smaller than an average dice.

I didnt realize the projectile point could be so old. I just figured it was from the sioux indians of the area here, lost during the sioux uprising.
    You'll have to let me know what else you know about them.
    Thanks
    Dave
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super finds.. that Morgan is awesome... is there a mintmark on the back?? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I didnt realize the projectile point could be so old. I just figured it was from the sioux indians of the area here, lost during the sioux uprising. You'll have to let me know what else you know about them. >>

I don't know much. I wish John ("goldrush00013") was around here still, 'cause this is right up his alley.

Compare that piece to a Clovis point. I don't think yours is a Clovis, per se, but it's old. Paleo, for sure. Very, very old, like I said. It's possible that could actually be a better find than the Morgan dollar. I don't know if it's quite as valuable a find as the breastplate, but it's a helluva nice find. It's not a Folsom point, either, because it lacks the fluting, but note the similarity of shape. That point needs to be shown to an expert.

It probably would have been launched from an atlatl rather than a bow. It's not a "true arrowhead" in that regard.

There is a picture of mine at the bottom of the "Ming Medallion" article. The picture was taken with a flash and made the point look more opaque than it actually is- it is partly translucent, like y'all's example is.

The die is almost certainly just that- a die made for gaming. It was probably made from a bullet. They did that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Super finds.. that Morgan is awesome... is there a mintmark on the back?? Cheers, RickO >>

There is a mintmark. "O". Go figure, the highest amount minted
  • Options

<< <i> That point needs to be shown to an expert.

<< <i>

There is an event I found online coming up in May where people can bring in archaelogical finds from the area.
    I marked it on the calendar and plan on going. I'm excited to learn about what it is we found.
    Thanks for the info LM! I would have just figured it to be just a couple hundred years old.
  • Options
    Sweet find on the Morgan!!!

That last group shot of yours I see a bullet that was carved into a acorn,from what I have seen in the past
    I think that has to do with and Northern Regiment from the civil war,but I'm not sure.

Great finds and get back out there and hunt them some more.

HH,Tom
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hopefully youll get many more image happy hunting