Home Metal Detecting

Garrett Ace 250 question

Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ive had my ace 250 for awhile now and have come to the conclusion that im not going to dig for nickel signals any more. 95% of the time it has been aluminum, either part of a can or some odd scrap. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions...The sensitivity is turned down quite a bit too since I do alot of high garbage areas.
I know I get what I pay for with these machines but cant see myself buying a GTI-2500 yet...Id love one even a used one.

Thanks
Jason

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not have an Ace 250. However, I belong to a couple other forums that speak highly of this machine (albeit an entry level machine). That being said, as I understand these advocates, if you do not dig the aluminum signals, you will miss any gold this machine may pass over. Again, I am not a 250 user, but have read volumes from those who are users. Cheers, RickO
  • If you decide not to dig nickels...you will no doubt miss some good finds...Unfortunately most Detectors will pick up gold in the nickel range...
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Dig 'em. If you start eliminating signals and you do not know what it is you will miss some good stuff. All you need to do is find one gold "anything" and you will know what I mean.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    unfortantatly digging goes with metal detecting and your gonna miss out on the good stuff. i know its a pita but dig anyway, itll pay off image
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here in Fargo where I live Ive only detected in a park across the street. The park used to be a cattail drainage slew, very marshy and overgrown. In the last 30 years its been turned into a usable park, there is a huge amount of trash I've been pulling up in the small area I've cleared so far. Ive yet to find anything coinage more then 25 years of age other then a 64 nickel...who would have guessed it. Not saying theres nothing older, but this area was all farm land and developed very fast during the fifties.

So guess I'm goin back and hitting those nickel signals. Wish me luck!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I avoid shallow nickel signals in trashier areas, but dig 'em when they're below 2-3" down. Even without a depth meter, you can tell a shallower signal by the audio and what I call "surface chatter".

Edit to add: of course the others are right, though- the less you dig and the more targets you ignore, the more goodies you are leaving behind. It's a fact of metal detecting. Not all of us have the sanity to dig every signal in trashy areas, though. You gotta pick your battles in the war against pulltabs and aluminum trash. If it's got some depth to it, dig it, no matter what the meter says. When in doubt, dig it out!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    Doesn't Fargo have any older parks or neighborhoods? The park you mentioned sounds like a lot of work for only a small potential, if it just dates from the 1950s.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some older parks but those are under water for the time being...still flooding up here. There also an old bussiness district Ive just read about that had a shipping yard for steam ships and many old docks, all that too is under water for now. As for the older neighborhoods, most of which is now the down town area and is cemented over...very depressing to me. There are older houses but to muster up the courage to ask if I can dig up someones lawn infront of their 150 year old house...I fall a bit short.
    I fall a bit short of that courage, myself, but if you can muster it up and get into one of those Victorian yards, you're gonna have a lot of fun, most likely. Use any networks you can- know any family or friends or coworkers who have old houses?