Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This thread is useless without photos but still had to do it anyway. A Legend Numismatics/Sonnier *o

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have never labeled any coin *omygod* in my entire life, until now.

While I have spent over two hours perusing the Sunnywood collection, I fell in love with many of his coins as they were stunning and colorful while being of the highest grades at the same time.

But when I purchased the 1882-CC $1 in PCGS/CAC MS-64PL, from Legend Numismatics, I did so without having any pictures and relied only on Laura's description. She seemed to really like this coin and called the toning "incredible" so I figured I'd better take a look.

I absolutely was stunned. Had I been a dealer, this coin would have made me quit, keep the coin and become a collector again!!!!!!

This CC silver dollar has the deep forest green toning toning (I believe Laura called it the christmas tree look) with the deep reds inside the hair curls and amber around the rims. Only a small area of white untoned area near Liberty's chin in the field at 8 pm. The beauty of this obverse alone would make this an awesome coin but then the reverse........

The reverse, fully reflective and looks a gold coin with a cameo effect with the eagle contrasting nicely against the shimmering gold. The rim is a complete color change from gold to red to various blue and purple colors as you go towards the edge. Omygod, this reverse simply stopped me in my tracks. It looks as if suddenly I received 1000 gold bars.

You fellow posters know me as one not to get too excited about colorful coins so even posting this here surprises even me.
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you're right oreville, this thread is useless without pictures ...

get cracking on getting some pictures!!

congratulations on what must be a stellar coin!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you're right oreville, this thread is useless without pictures ...

get cracking on getting some pictures!!

congratulations on what must be a stellar coin!! >>

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Oreville! While I'm not a big fan of Morgans, these coins are something else entirely.. hope you can get a pic of the coin, would love to see it. There's something special about toned Morgans with two sided monster color, it sounds like you made a good choice!
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    You weren't kidding when you said you liked that piece.image Glad it worked out for you. I've heard from a number of collectors who are really pleased with their purchases of some of my X's. Legend appears to be doing a fine job of finding good homes for the coins.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I for one am shocked to see you say omygod about any coin so I'm sure it's a monster. Can't wait to see some pics. Congrats. Coins that fire the passion are what it's about.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Guy, you make Legend sound like an adoption agency.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Guy, you make Legend sound like an adoption agency.image >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683
    The Sonnier (aka gsaguy) collection of toned Morgans was an incredible hoard of beautifully toned pieces. There were several coins in there (in particular a pair of outrageously toned 1890-CC and 1891-CC dollars, as well as some other great CC's) that I always wanted to include in the Sunnywood set. I waited YEARS for those coins to become available. Ironically, Bryan didn't decide to sell his coins until just after I had made the decision to sell my own toned Morgan collection. Otherwise, I would have been first in line, and I even considered partnering with Legend to buy the collection.

Happily, after Legend bought the Sonnier coins, the new owner of my collection was able to buy those amazing 1890-CC and 1891-CC dollars that I always wanted, and so they are now finally joined together with the Sunnywood set. Even though I no longer own the set, it is wonderful to know that those coins are finally part of it. In addition a superb 1880-CC from the Sonnier collection was placed in the Sunnywood set, undoubtedly a choice I would also have made.

Congratulations to Bryan on the successful sale of his collection, and to oreville and all the others who are the proud new owners of some of the Sonnier coins, including the new owner of the Sunnywood Collection (now "Sunnywood-Simpson," and it is a great honor for me that Mr. Simpson chose to keep the Sunnywood name on the coins).

Best,
    Sunnywood
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this thread is a teaseimage
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Sunnywood, did you get a chance to see firsthand the collection after Legend bought it?
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Doug, I saw those two cc dollars before you. No fair I hy-hosied them first image
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a coin I would love to see Oreville, soooo, post some pics....image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sunnywood, did you get a chance to see firsthand the collection after Legend bought it? >>

TTT
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One more time. image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While I'm not a big fan of Morgans, these coins are something else entirely.. >>

They are entirely not Morgans? image

Were pics ever posted? image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope Bryan is ok...
  • Options
    +1 TDN
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Bryan is doing just fine
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭