Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Players in the Hall that may have used PED's

Here is a list of players that are currently in the HOF that played when steriods were a part of the game. Is there anybody that we can rule out from being a user? Is there anybody who sticks out as clearly being a user?

Andre Dawson
Jim Rice
Rickey Henderson
Goose Gossage
Cal Ripken
Tony Gwynn
Bruce Sutter
Ryne Sandberg
Wade Boggs
Dennis Eckersley
Paul Molitor
Eddie Murray
Gary Carter
Dave Winfield
Ozzie Smith
Kirby Puckett
Carelton Fisk
Robin Yount
Nolan Ryan
Mike Schmidt

Please share any info or reason that would lead you to believe that any of these players were or weren't users.
-Ryan

Comments

• PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    IMHO, none of those guys jumps out. I could be wrong, but the only person there that had any sort of power jump was Kirby Puckett, and based upon watching him play, I'd never believe it. So, I think those guys are a clean bunch... well, at least for steroids.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Nolan Ryan. Throwing mid 90's at 45 years of age when every other great pitcher fell apart in their late 30's. Just seemed too superhuman to me. I think Canseco said that there is already a HOF'er that used.
  • minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for not putting George Brett on that list!!
  • I'm happy that I do Basketball....
  • I think Rickey is suspect given how long he was able to play and he played with McGwire and Canseco in the late 80s, early 90s...
    Visit www.Davis44.com - An Eric Davis Collection.
  • WFC2008WFC2008 Posts: 96 ✭✭
    I would hope none of them although that may not be the case. If I had any suspicion it would come simply from guilty by association. That leaves Rickey Henderson, Dennis Eckersley and Nolan Ryan subject to speculation because they played on the Oakland and Texas teams that were loaded with them. Ryan only seemed to get better as he got older but I really would hope that isn't the case.

Sandberg's and Boggs' power surge seem to coincide with the times when there was speculation the ball was juiced and just not the players.

Schmidt has admitted that he used greenies and most likely would have been tempted if steroids were available but just like Dawson, Rice, Fisk, Yount, Winfield and Murray, they seemed to age on the same level of their stat decline.

I just can't imagine Ozzie Smith or Tony Gwynn using as power was never part of their game.

Not talking about HOF players with this one but I can't believe there isn't talk about Jose Reyes.

If you search thyroid imbalance and anabolic steroid use, you will find the following:

"If you use anabolic steroids and follow a medium- to low-carbohydrate diet, you run the risk of altering your body’s thyroid conversion rates, which can lead to a breakdown of metabolic function. The thyroid secretes a hormone called T4. It is inactive, and converted to T3, which is then used by the body to regulate the metabolism. Insulin in your body is required for the T4 to T3 conversion to take place. If you follow a medium- to low-carbohydrate diet, you run the risk of altering your body’s insulin levels. Low-carbohydrate diets are ideal for reducing body fat levels. However, they do offset insulin levels which affects metabolism in this way."

It could just be my Met bias, but why this isn't mentioned more I find very odd.
  • this thread is so stupid. why should anyone care about who used 'roids back when they were legal? it was legal so to get an edge why wouldn't someone want to do it? it's your body and your life and as long as it's law abiding you can do whatever the hell you want.

jose canseco is a worthless, backstabbing rat; a douche-bag and is just hopeing that his tell all on others will potentially get him into the HOF on day(which will never, ever happen.)
    he should just mind his own business and disappear off the face of this earth.
  • TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    The problem is that they were NOT legal. Bart Giamatti had banned them but the rule was never enforced until it was too late. Such a shame that the one who oversaw the worst era in baseball history is still the comissioner to this day.

• << <i>The problem is that they were NOT legal. Bart Giamatti had banned them but the rule was never enforced until it was too late. Such a shame that the one who oversaw the worst era in baseball history is still the comissioner to this day. >>

at the time they WERE legal
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Wow, if Ozzie Smith used Steroids, they sure didn't work well. The guy was about a buck fifty with like 8 career HR's. I don't know, I'm just guessing.

I think it's possible that anyone who played in the 90's could have dabbled in them. But weather or not it was enough to improve their performance, who knows. I guess if a pitcher is throwing 90+ at 45 years old, it does raise a little bit of suspicion. But it the end, who cares. Just assume they all did. There's no way we'll ever know and in 20 years, no one will care.
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    i personally witnessed all of them shooting up in the clubhouses at various times.....JUST F ing with ya.......who cares ?????? and canseco is not a lying douchebag... seems he was right on mcgwire and clemens so far
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    and check the hof.........alot of saints in there??? cobb, ruth or others who took other drugs like mays or drank real bad like ruth, mantle, others that beat their wives, cheated on wives, did not pay taxes, that were in secret racial groups...the peds hurt these players but what about the players that hurt others with their spoiled behavior ?? so who the f cares what these guys did to their bodies..... i never feel sorry for these players that die way to young from complications of steroids or other enhancing drugs, just like i do not feel sorry for dudes like strawberry or gooden...
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    They were never legal. Unless a doctor prescribed them.

Where do some of you people get your information from?

<shaking head>

Steve
    Good for you.
    In a well-documented 1991 policy memo, MLB Commissioner Fay Vincent told all MLB clubs that steroids were prohibited in baseball. Current Commissioner Bud Selig reiterated that policy in 1997. Thus, during the summer of baseball rejuvenation, when Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire engaged in an “pharmacological” home run derby, anabolic steroids were clearly prohibited in baseball. Likewise, during the preponderance of Barry Bonds’ MLB career, baseball clearly prohibited steroids.

This myth exists because, with the interference of the MLB Player’s Association, a steroid testing policy with teeth was not implemented until 2003.

Myth #2: Steroids were not illegal when the big home run hitters allegedly used them to increase power in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Anabolic steroids were never “legal” to be dispensed by trainers, street pushers, friends or meddlers like BALCO boss Victor Conte. Steroids, long recognized as powerful medicines with serious side effects, were only available with a physician’s prescription.

Furthermore, the The Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988 and the Anabolic Steroids Control Act of 1990 made anabolic steroids a Schedule III controlled substance. A physician needs a Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) controlled substance number to prescribe these drugs. The DEA also mandates special procedures for prescribing them requires physicians to justify such prescriptions to patients in a more rigorous manner than other drugs.

Human Growth Hormone (HGH) and amphetamines are likewise DEA-schedule drugs with many of the same stipulations (in the case of amphetamines, even more).

===================================================================================================================================

Steve
    Good for you.
  • UphillUphill Posts: 359 ✭✭
    Steve

Thanks for posting that. But I doubt facts will change some folks' minds.

Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • maybe Rickey H, but none of those guys jump out at you.
  • Henderson and Puckett are 2 that I have always thought were roided up.
  • I accidentally left Brett off the list.

There is a reason why I posted this thread. Players like McGwire, Bonds, Palmeiro, Sosa, and countless others are not going to get HOF votes from idiot writers because they used steriods.

Players like Ryan, Gwynn, Boggs, Ripken, Henderson, and others in the HOF have numbers that resemble steriod use.

The next problem is HGH. If Bud Selig and the union doesn't step up and start HGH testing. We'll continue to have the same problem.
    -Ryan
  • I get it, you're trying to beat "I know something you don't know" for the worst thread of the year. Sorry, you lose because of lack of originality. This horse has been beat to death. What could possibly be the point of discussing this?

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I accidentally left Brett off the list.

There is a reason why I posted this thread. Players like McGwire, Bonds, Palmeiro, Sosa, and countless others are not going to get HOF votes from idiot writers because they used steriods.

Players like Ryan, Gwynn, Boggs, Ripken, Henderson, and others in the HOF have numbers that resemble steriod use.

. >>

What numbers of Ripken resembles the numbers of McGwire, Caminiti, Canseco, Sosa, Palmeiro, etc?
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I have always said that Cal Ripken Jr. did. How could he have played in his streak day in and day out without getting hurt? He did not use PEDs for power but to heal his body so that he can play the next day.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • 1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    WOW! R Y A N . . . What would that do to his cards and admirers? Geeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz.
  • Nolan Ryan and Rickey
  • 1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    R I P K E N??????????? Say it ain't so, please!!!!!!!!!!
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think Rickey is suspect given how long he was able to play and he played with McGwire and Canseco in the late 80s, early 90s... >>

Not a chance...Rickey didn't even smoke the wacky tobacco in high school.

• << <i>The next problem is HGH. If Bud Selig and the union doesn't step up and start HGH testing. We'll continue to have the same problem. >>

HGH testing is completely out of Selig's control. The only thing blocking the test is the players association and that is a very powerful union. Unless a viable urine test for HGH is developed (best current test available is a blood sample), you will never see HGH testing. Only exception would be if Congress stepped in again and forced the test.
  • I find it strange that even though a anabolic steroids were known as early as the 1930's that everyone assumes that all players were clean until the late 1980's.
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>i personally witnessed all of them shooting up in the clubhouses at various times.....JUST F ing with ya.......who cares ?????? and canseco is not a lying douchebag... seems he was right on mcgwire and clemens so far >>

Which shows me you never read his book/s. Can you tell the list what Canseco said about Clemens?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

<< <i>In a well-documented 1991 policy memo, MLB Commissioner Fay Vincent told all MLB clubs that steroids were prohibited in baseball. Current Commissioner Bud Selig reiterated that policy in 1997. Thus, during the summer of baseball rejuvenation, when Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire engaged in an “pharmacological” home run derby, anabolic steroids were clearly prohibited in baseball. Likewise, during the preponderance of Barry Bonds’ MLB career, baseball clearly prohibited steroids.

This myth exists because, with the interference of the MLB Player’s Association, a steroid testing policy with teeth was not implemented until 2003.

Myth #2: Steroids were not illegal when the big home run hitters allegedly used them to increase power in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Anabolic steroids were never “legal” to be dispensed by trainers, street pushers, friends or meddlers like BALCO boss Victor Conte. Steroids, long recognized as powerful medicines with serious side effects, were only available with a physician’s prescription.

Furthermore, the The Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1988 and the Anabolic Steroids Control Act of 1990 made anabolic steroids a Schedule III controlled substance. A physician needs a Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) controlled substance number to prescribe these drugs. The DEA also mandates special procedures for prescribing them requires physicians to justify such prescriptions to patients in a more rigorous manner than other drugs.

Human Growth Hormone (HGH) and amphetamines are likewise DEA-schedule drugs with many of the same stipulations (in the case of amphetamines, even more).

===================================================================================================================================

Steve >>

The list of players above however is not 90s.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yount never really bulked up or had "power years". He played for so long because he broke in at 17. Doubt he did PED's.

Although, if everyone did PED's, or acquiesced to their use by teammates or opponents, then really wasn't this a level playing field and the PED issue is bogus? The only thing it would impact were records among generations, not competition among peers. And frankly, I think baseball fans are too hung up on records anyways.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    <sarcasm>

Hank Aaron = hit 40 HRs at the age of 39, when most "clean" players are in a state of decline.

Sandy Koufax = posted unreal numbers for a short period of time, then quit. He must have thought that testing was around the corner and didn't want to get busted.

Warren Spahn = at the age of 42, posted a 2.60 era and won 23 games (his best numbers in those categories since he was 33). Bonds, anyone?

Mickey Mantle = once hit a baseball 656 feet (the best Bonds could do was 492 feet)

</sarcasm>

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm happy that I do Basketball.... >>

Yeah, if you're looking for players of strong character, you should definitely follow the NBA....
  • Paul Molitor was a well known drug user. The only evidence for the others is that they were either good at hitting or throwing a baseball and their careers overlapped with Jose Canseco

How about the Pro Football Hall-of-Fame? That list probably has over 100 names
    Tom

• << <i>Wow, if Ozzie Smith used Steroids, they sure didn't work well. The guy was about a buck fifty with like 8 career HR's. I don't know, I'm just guessing >>

165-pounds
    Tom
  • gumbyfangumbyfan Posts: 5,159

<< <i>Paul Molitor was a well known drug user. >>

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm happy that I do Basketball.... >>

Right.

You need to rethink that - I bet there's a higher % of usage in basketball than baseball.

Tabe
  • "Gwynn, Boggs, Ripken" dont fit the pattern, sorry to let you down
    also.... if Ripken was on the juice, i guess Gherig was on the juice, because how could HE have possibly played all those games.

come on people, think.

only 2 guys in the history of baseball have streaks like that.
  • I'll say Reggie Jackson at the end of his career. Not going to be popular, but that's what I think
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I think Earl Weaver used steroids as a manager. Classic roid-rage meltdown.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    PED Performance Enhancing Drugs

Most of the HOF did some type or another going back to the early days

Add King Kelly, Anson, Cobb, Lajoie, Wagner, etc. to the list for Cocaine which was a very commonly used drug of the turn of the 20th century.

The you can add Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Killebrew, Koufax, Ford Berra and all the others from the 1950-60s because of their daily Greenies use on game days (amphetamines).

Then the late 1970's- 80's you had cocaine back again, then ca. 1985 also came the home gym miltimillion dollar guys who didnt take the uppers they went for something that actually helped their performance in a different way, strength.
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    Here's a revelation, the league polices itself. Even if any player in the past took something, if they were not penalized or chided in a public way, then there is nothing we can do about it. These players nowadays are not allowed to take steroids according to MLB, so that's what we go by. Bonds, McGwire and Rodriguez broke the rules and should be treated as cheaters of the game, as they are. So be it. You can't change it by saying, "Hey, players from the past took stuf." Well, were they penalized or slammed in the media about it? No? Then move on.
    Mark

My comment and then posting of that article was meant to rebut the statement that steroids were legal.

Also, some of those players listed did play into the 90's.

Of course this is if I understand your comment.

Steve
    Good for you.

• << <i>Even if any player in the past took something, if they were not penalized or chided in a public way, then there is nothing we can do about it. >>

You mean other than whine about it and play stupid guessing games on the internet
    Tom
  • I think you are missing the point of the post. You must assume that everybody in the past used. Therefore, the stars of the 90's and 2000's should get in the HOF.

Now that the problem clearly exists, and it has a viable solution. Everything needs to be done to stop it. The fans and media play a huge part of that. Card collectors are huge baseball fans. Step up and tell you friends. If you run into a reporter or writer, tell them. If you go to a game, and are getting a player to sign an autograph, say something to them.

-Ryan

<< <i>I think you are missing the point of the post. You must assume that everybody in the past used. Therefore, the stars of the 90's and 2000's should get in the HOF.

Now that the problem clearly exists, and it has a viable solution. Everything needs to be done to stop it. The fans and media play a huge part of that. Card collectors are huge baseball fans. Step up and tell you friends. If you run into a reporter or writer, tell them. If you go to a game, and are getting a player to sign an autograph, say something to them. >>

I imagine the media has ran the baseball steroid story 50-60 times per a network and 100-150 times in other media (newspaper/internet). I am pretty sure anyone who cares knows. I also imagine, most people do not care.

• Based on this thread, about 15 or so villages are missing idiots and want them back ASAP LOL

<< <i>Based on this thread, about 15 or so villages are missing idiots and want them back ASAP LOL >>

Speculating does not make one an idiot. Never speculating however might.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Cy Young won 20 games at age 42. He was obviously on something. So here's a thought... Cy Young was not elected to the HOF in the original 1936 vote. He got in the next year with a 76% vote. But Walter Johnson was a slam dunk on the first vote in 1936. But the award for top pitcher is named after Cy Young. But, what if they had decided to name the award after the obviously superior pitcher, Walter Johnson? ESPN would have tons of coverage talking about whether Lincecum can get another Johnson this year or how Roger Clemens has won more Johnsons than any other pitcher. OK... its late.... the strange things that go through your mind when you are tired....
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I don't think it was just at the end of his career.

<< <i>I'll say Reggie Jackson at the end of his career. Not going to be popular, but that's what I think >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The problem is that they were NOT legal. Bart Giamatti had banned them but the rule was never enforced until it was too late. Such a shame that the one who oversaw the worst era in baseball history is still the comissioner to this day. >>

at the time they WERE legal >>

you need to read up on this topic more, you are wrong