Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinion please ... large bronze medal, cleaned?

baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
Hey folks, I really like these medals and I'm trying to educate myself.
I hope this isn't the wrong forum or procedure.

I saw some Wiener medals online and I thought this looks liked it has been cleaned.
Also, I believe verdigris on the reverse. What do you think? Thank you.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It 'appears' cleaned... do not see the verdigris. Looks more like residue from cleaning. Could be the lighting. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you win the medal?
    I hope it is better than the pic shows. The pics appear to have been taken outside.
    They appear to be washed out. Several of the medals had the green tint you are seeing.
    I am hoping it was an effect of the camera.
    The seller does not usually sell coins or medals and probably has little experience taking pics of them.

I won a few of the medals in that lot. I took a chance on the pics being bad but at the price I paid i think I'll be o.k. either way.
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you win the medal?
    I hope it is better than the pic shows. The pics appear to have been taken outside.
    They appear to be washed out. Several of the medals had the green tint you are seeing.
    I am hoping it was an effect of the camera.
    The seller does not usually sell coins or medals and probably has little experience taking pics of them.

I won a few of the medals in that lot. I took a chance on the pics being bad but at the price I paid i think I'll be o.k. either way. >>

I almost bid, but decided to wait. I agree that the prices were right and I hope you won some nice medals.
    Maybe you can let us know what you think once you get them in-hand?
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll let you know when I get them.
    Even if they've been cleaned, with the prices these have been bringing, I think the price was o.k.

I am amazed when I see these medals selling for $700.00 plus on some sites.
    Granted the ones selling for that much are nice but I have never paid anywhere close to that even for very nice ones.
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I think I recently saw these on ebay. There was a seller selling several of them. All the photos looked washed out and suspect. I dont think you will be receiving a medal with original surfices. I recently sold one to aq forum member that was abit beat up but it did have original surfaces. It didn't look that bright.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Remember in Europe it is common to find cleaned material, to them it's normal. If you are looking for a perfect, high grade, non-cleaned example of one of these medals prepare to pay for it! You can find lower grade examples in the $100-$200 range. Years back, you could find a nice toned unc expample on E-Bay for that, but the medals have really gained popularity in the past year or so.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Cleaned, no grade, no plus, no sticker. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights