Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

In Homage to Ambro.... Not as rare

But I love the look of this 1$ gold

Comments

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    When my wife was the "princess" in her family (one girl, six boys), her uncle gave $1s to them for special occasions. She got an 1889 gold dollar, they got 1922 Peace dollars. Well after we got married and she found I had a latent coin collector gene, she showed it to me. I had it slabbed in PCGS plastic with an MS65 label. It's one of "my" twenty.
    Paul
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice... I like gold... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Your 1889 gold dollar might have been part of the hoard of 313 collected by the US Treasurer’s office, given to the US Mint collection, and then sold to Henry Chapman for $2 each. [See Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915 for details of the hoard and its disposition.]
  • Options
    I just love the copper toning in this gold- Even deep orange color- This is, to me, one of the prettiest dollars I have seen... I love that look

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a pretty tone, especially along with the old green holder. bought?buying or just showing it?
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Nice looking coin. --Jerry
  • Options
    It is for sale... Depending on competition I would like to buy it... Not my set but I like it for a type coin
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1889 is not a bad choice for a type coin. LOTS were saved, its a high population coin which will keep the prices down in the mid MS grades.

try to see some good enlargements though and look for nicks on the face.
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty coin!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    Thanks Rob... I like it.. I put a bid in ... Not real strong but enough that I could win it- I have been on an insane buying spree and I need to S L O W way down... I just love the look of it- The color mainly- The strike seems ok but the 89 is known for a good strike- It was preserved in high grades because it was the last year of the dollar. I like the coin, like the fact it is in an OGH, and I like the fact it should hammer under 1K

John
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When my wife was the "princess" in her family (one girl, six boys), her uncle gave $1s to them for special occasions. She got an 1889 gold dollar, they got 1922 Peace dollars. Well after we got married and she found I had a latent coin collector gene, she showed it to me. I had it slabbed in PCGS plastic with an MS65 label. It's one of "my" twenty. >>

AWESOME!!image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file