Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My eBay search results are %$@#*!

RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
I just entered my office and began to do my morning search before beginning work and the way the results are shown is very annoying to say the least. I receive about 170 results from a basic search, yet only see about 20 true listings. The rest are bulk listings containing multiple similar coins.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not like it when for some reason the search engine decides what I am looking for is not in the coin field and sends me a crap list across the entire Ebay spectrum.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FleaBay messes with the search algorithms from time to time - which skews the results to nonsense. I do saved searches and I have to change the parametres in the searches every couple of months or so because eventually they no longer work and start pulling stuff out of category etc.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed the number of items in the US Coins category fluctuates between 200-odd thousand and 400-odd thousand depending on whether they're including the stores in the search that day. I usually get around all the garbage by running my searches every few days and sorting the results to show newly added items first. The Best Match algorithm which is the default is a joke.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay is changing the way items in stores are listed today. They are also changing the pricing of listing items in all catagories.
    The real big one for the small coin types.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    The real big one for the small coin types.

Please, no more "big one" references for a while. I'm still decompressing.
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I got a taste of the new listing prices last night

I thought it was going to start on 4/1? or was that when they were going to change the definition of a good seller?
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭
    I'm really beginning to loathe them.

I can deal with weeding out the garbage sellers, crap listings, etc. but leave the search feature alone!
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FleaBay messes with the search algorithms from time to time - which skews the results to nonsense. >>

Which skews the results to want they prefer you see.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont bother with looking at ebay much anymore. seems like its to much aggrevation these days image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file