Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1908-S Indian Head Cent - Poster Design - UPDATED 6/7/2016 - Finally had it printed!!!

illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been working on a display of my 1908-S Indian Head Cent grading set. In February, I had BluCC photos image my entire set and I've been very happy with the quality of the images. In the past few weeks I've been slowly uploading them to my set in the Registry. I've also been working on copying the images into a poster that'll display all of the coins. I'm pretty slow with photoshop and my computer seems to come to a crawl when I have photoshop and a bunch of large photos opened simultaneously.

Anyways, my plan is to have them all displayed in a single image that I can later turn into a 24" x 36" poster that I can hang in my office. At that size, the obverse and reverse of each of the 32 coins in my set will be approximately 2.5" in diameter each (750x750 pixels) when printed which I think will show enough detail to be worthwhile.

I figured now that I have edited in all of the circulated grades into my template it would be a good time to share my progress. The file so far in photoshop is around 125MB and ends up being around 4MB when converted to a JPG file. But here's a smaller version that has been reduced further by photoshops size limits:

Ultimately, I'm thinking about laying out the final product which will include the circulated grades, the uncirculated grades and a bunch of "genuine" holdered examples like this:

I may also add some additional text underneath the heading at the top with some history and/or stats about the 1908-S Indian Head Cent. But it's all still a work in progress. That said, since nothing is really finalized in this project and since I'm sure it'll take me a couple more weeks to finish it, I welcome any comments you may have. Thanks for looking image

Comments

• Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    this is real neat!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

No wonder the '08-S cents are hard to find.

You've got'em all!!

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    HOARDER!!!!image

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    This is fantastic - I also like the color progression as well! image
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Nice examples you've acquired, cool set! image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very attractive display. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous, Illi! I always liked the 08-s, and it lends very well to a grading set such as yours. What arethe chances of adding an AG, FR, or PO-1 to your set? I know the pop has got to be LOW (and you may ironically pay UNC money!) but is it something that will drive you crazy if you print the poster and find them later?
    Again, great job putting this together. A real nice way to still enjoy your coins while at work or when they are tucked away.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Very nice! image
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Great job! And I bet once you print that poster it will be a pretty cool display poster to hang up.

One question, if there a way to have that display online like above, but where you can move your cursor over the image to enlarge it? That would be pretty neat.
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Really great image

You have to include at least one of these. I have two, this one obtained from Rick Snow. It is now in an AU55 holder. Thanks Rick! I know you are out there...

• Options

<< <i>No wonder the '08-S cents are hard to find.

You've got'em all!!

~ >>

<< <i>HOARDER!!!! >>

At one point I would be willing to take some of the blame. image I was pretty much buying every graded example that became available and was making several of my own from coins I bought in local shops. I had 2-3 examples of most of the grades and probably 75 total coins (around 4% of the graded pop total). Since then I've sold off most of my extras. I think the only duplicate I have now is an extra AU58 which I'll likely keep since one of my AU58s is more BN and the other is more RB.
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
    Mike, that is going to be very nice, soon as its finished that PO1, FR2 & AG3 will come alongimage
  • Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great project! image
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options

<< <i>Gorgeous, Illi! I always liked the 08-s, and it lends very well to a grading set such as yours. What arethe chances of adding an AG, FR, or PO-1 to your set? I know the pop has got to be LOW (and you may ironically pay UNC money!) but is it something that will drive you crazy if you print the poster and find them later?
    Again, great job putting this together. A real nice way to still enjoy your coins while at work or when they are tucked away. >>

<< <i>Mike, that is going to be very nice, soon as its finished that PO1, FR2 & AG3 will come along >>

Last I checked there are no PCGS or NGC examples graded under G04. In fact, the G04 is only a pop 3 coin. Given the relatively low mintage of the 1908-S and given the switch to Lincoln Cents the next year it's apparent that most of these didn't stay in circulation for a great deal of time. I've searched in shops and shows for the past 2 years or so (and have had a few others searching for me) for AG03 or lower candidates to submit but haven't found a good candidate worth a submission. I've found a few that have enough wear to maybe go AG03, but each of those examples either had major scratches or were corroded. Since I can't imagine finding one or making one any time soon I figured I'm pretty much done with the set image

Similarly, I'm sometimes tempted to go higher with the set and get the 65s and 66s, but I'd rather spend those big bucks on other collecting interests, especially since I think my MS64RD is very PQ and is superior to many of the 65RD coins I've viewed. I figure that once I print up my poster it'll be some additional protection from me going out and buying more image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool! Love it. Very nice.
    Lance.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent display. I like the AU 55. It's got some character. And you're a good trader , too. I don't want to put that in my sigline, but you guys know who you are.
  • Options
    Don't you need examples of all of the "plus" grades in order to complete your grading set?

It seems like you need 13 more coins. Perhaps, you can buy back many of those coins that you sold.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea for a display. If you end up selling posters, put me down for one. I can hang it next to my PCGS calendar and really get my wife screaming.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Cool! I thought about doing a grading set before
  • Options

<< <i>One question, if there a way to have that display online like above, but where you can move your cursor over the image to enlarge it? That would be pretty neat. >>

I'll definitely have to do something like that if and when I figure out a way to post the set online, would probably have to be on my own webpage though. For now, the set in the PCGS Registry will have to do.

garrynot, very cool S/S! I've seen those from time to time on Rick's website and have looked at my coins to see if any of them are the S/S variety. You'd think after owning 75 or so examples that I would have found at least one of them but I haven't!! Of course, the variety is pretty hard to see so maybe I'm just missing it!

haha, MarkBen! No plans to include all of the "+" grades anytime soon!!! If these eventually start popping up on the market and the prices are reasonable, maybe, but I'm not going to be making them anytime soon at the current grading fees.

<< <i>Great idea for a display. If you end up selling posters, put me down for one. I can hang it next to my PCGS calendar and really get my wife screaming. >>

Nice! hahaha. I've already had several requests for copies of the poster once complete, most want freebies of course! image I've looked into getting them printed in mass and it seems that it really only becomes cost effective on orders of 500 copies or more. I'm sure that I could eventually give away and/or sell 100 copies, but if I had to order 500 copies i'd have them for quite awhile I'd think image

In looking at printing prices, to get 100 24x36 posters printed it'll cost about $5 per copy to have them printed and shipped to me. But when you step up to 500 prints, the cost comes down to around $1.50 per print. I'm sure lots of folks would pay $2 or so each if I could sell them at that price, but unless I folded them up, shipping would add a bunch to the costs I think.

Thanks again for the comments everyone image
  • Options
    Had several private messages wondering what the status of this project was so here's the update. Finally got the images edited and into my template. I've also updated my PCGS Showcase set with the new images (link in signature line). I had to stop working on the project using my laptop (several years old) because the photoshop filesize became too large and I didn't have enough memory to work the file. I ended up transferring all of the files to a computer at work which was much newer and had probably 10x the memory. Never had an issue after that. The photoshop filesize is up to about 215MB now and when converted to a JPG the file is over 7MB. I've scaled down the file significantly to share it here:

Again, larger photos of each coin are available in the Registry link in my signature line. Also, if you want a larger pic of the poster above click the link below for a larger version about 1.5MB which approximates the size of the poster when printed.

Life-sized poster
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077

<< <i>Don't you need examples of all of the "plus" grades in order to complete your grading set? >>

Take a close look at the MS64RD! If it doesn't get a "+" something is wrong!

Several of these pieces would likely get a "+".

Shall we have a contest?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Don't you need examples of all of the "plus" grades in order to complete your grading set? >>

Take a close look at the MS64RD! If it doesn't get a "+" something is wrong!

Several of these pieces would likely get a "+".

Shall we have a contest?

image >>

haha, not sure about a contest, but I actually think it would have a great shot at grading 65RD if I cracked it and resubmitted it. I looked at several 65RDs when I was considering building this set up to 65 and maybe 66, but of the half dozen or so 65RDs I looked at, none seemed to even be equal in technical grade and/or eye appeal to my 64RD. Based on that, I decided to cap off my set at 64RD as I wasn't going to pay a big premium for a coin that I didn't think was any better than what I already had, simply because the label told me it was "better."

so I sort of disagree that the coin deserves a +.... unless it were regraded as a 65+ image

Here's a larger photo of the coin:

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    An obviously time consuming and tedious project. The results are amazing. Nice work.

I have seen most of these coins in hand folks, it is a true gem to behold !!!
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    Thanks again for the nice comments...

I'm sort of leaning towards a blue background actually. Something about the combination of those orange and blue colors... I'm sure that has something to do with my college days cheering for the Fighting Illini image

• Options
    It's been 6+ years since I thought about printing up a poster of the 1908-S Indian Head Cent Grading Set. Well, I finally had some posters printed up and they came out pretty great. Reworked the design slightly and here's what the final looks like.

Although sort of expensive to have printed up, the final posters are 24" x 36" and look pretty nice. Will have some of these available at my table this week at the Long Beach show, Table #448 if anyone wants to check them out image

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this poster idea for the U.S. Major Type Set (7070), or other sets. The grading visual aide is pretty cool as well!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

That's really nice.

It's actually because of you, your posts, and your love of the -s mint IHCs, that I decided to include them in our collection as well. Prior to that, my focus was only on proof IHCs, but after seeing many of your posts, and your pictures, I decided to add those into the collection as well...just not the whole grading set image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Can I ask what you had for a final resolution? Most people recommend 300 pixels per inch (300 dpi) for high-quality images meant to be viewed from up close. From your original description, it sounds like you were maybe a little lower than that, but I'm guessing it turned out just fine. I'm thinking of eventually doing something very similar with photo collages that I've made of my Peace dollars and 20th Century type coins. Also, if I might ask, who did you have do the printing for you?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, good job man!

Bet it was a fun project as well.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BryceM
    Very cool. Can I ask what you had for a final resolution? Most people recommend 300 pixels per inch (300 dpi) for high-quality images meant to be viewed from up close. From your original description, it sounds like you were maybe a little lower than that, but I'm guessing it turned out just fine. I'm thinking of eventually doing something very similar with photo collages that I've made of my Peace dollars and 20th Century type coins. Also, if I might ask, who did you have do the printing for you?

I ended up doing 300dpi as that is what was recommended to me as well. The final file size was over 200MB and the full image size is 7275x10875 pixels.

I had a local printer print these up for me. The guy does postcards for our local shows so I got a quote for these from him and it was much better than the online printers who I don't trust as much and who would charge well over $100 for shipping alone.

Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to get these back and forth to the shows image

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is really nice... thanks for the update on your project. It is truly a commendable effort and the results are super. A project - and collection - to be proud of. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Bochiman
    Mike,

That's really nice.

It's actually because of you, your posts, and your love of the -s mint IHCs, that I decided to include them in our collection as well. Prior to that, my focus was only on proof IHCs, but after seeing many of your posts, and your pictures, I decided to add those into the collection as well...just not the whole grading set image

That's pretty cool to hear image

The S mint IHC collection is a pretty easy set to complete... just the two coins image

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Very attractive. The blue background was a great choice.

Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file