Home Precious Metals

100 Oz or Kilo Silver Bars...which do you prefer and why?

ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
I took some money out of an investment and wanted to buy some of the larger silver bars in the near future. What brand and would you recommend the kilo or 100 oz and why? I'm thinking the pressed 100 JM bars over the poured. These are bars that would be put away for long term investments. Thanks
Positive BST Transactions with:
Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123

Comments

• 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    kilo bars are better, in my opinion, because they are smaller, easier to handle and probably much more liquid, especially when prices rise. I think you would also do well to consider one ounce American Eagles in lieu of the kilo bars, in fact.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I like both. If I had to choose one over the other, I would buy the kilo Acadamy bars that stack.

Forgot to add: I like 100 oz Engelhard and the J & M machine pressed too.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Either are fine with me but I can calculate the value of the 100 Tr Oz without a calculator.image

I prefer the 10 Tr Oz because it's a handy size.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of the 100 oz Engelhard bars. I like the heft and the look............MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

<< <i>I'm a huge fan of the 100 oz Engelhard bars. I like the heft and the look............MJ >>

What about the Johnson-Mathey bars? Same heft and the bars are just as attractive.

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Best bang for the $. If your putting them away for the big run up in silver price we all hope for!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • I like the old poured kilo bars if you can get them at a reasonable price relative to spot. But you can't go wrong either way in my opinion!
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭
    I prefer the 100 oz, less confusing to a potential buyer.

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm a huge fan of the 100 oz Engelhard bars. I like the heft and the look............MJ >>

What about the Johnson-Mathey bars? Same heft and the bars are just as attractive. >>

I'm a Engelhard and a Dapper Dan man what can I say! FYI- J-M bars are fine too in a pinchimage

MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    This is the type JM 100 oz bar I was thinking. I've noticed a lot of these are toned, does that affect the price that much one way or the other? Do you guys store them in the cardboard?
    Thanks, Tim

Also, what is typical mark up for a bar like this? $1 over spot? $2???
    Where, other than ebay, can I find some of these bars?
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Any particular reason you are hellbent on a large bar? Smaller bars can be had for about the same premiums as 100oz or kilo bars on occassion. Its far easier to sell 10 small bars than 1 large bar.....dont believe me? How many people, even on this forum, could afford a 10 oz gold bar right now? How many could afford a 1oz gold bar right now? I have come to the conclusion that the "sweet spot" for silver is around 5-10 oz bars, and for gold its 1/4 oz. These are amounts that most people can afford without making any major sacrifices to other financial needs. If silver gets a huge run-up in pricing, as alot of people expect, why would you want anything to do with a 100oz bar that only a dealer could afford to buy from you in a pinch?

<< <i>This is the type JM 100 oz bar I was thinking. I've noticed a lot of these are toned, does that affect the price that much one way or the other? Do you guys store them in the cardboard?
    Thanks, Tim

Also, what is typical mark up for a bar like this? $1 over spot? $2???
    Where, other than ebay, can I find some of these bars? >>

I bought 3 of these on the BST forum here. Keep them with the box. If you're worried about tarnish, put them in a polyethelene sandwich bag before you put them in the cardboard box. Each box has the same serial number as the bar and helps protect the bar. It never hurts to keep the original packaging.

<< <i>Any particular reason you are hellbent on a large bar? Smaller bars can be had for about the same premiums as 100oz or kilo bars on occassion. Its far easier to sell 10 small bars than 1 large bar.....dont believe me? How many people, even on this forum, could afford a 10 oz gold bar right now? How many could afford a 1oz gold bar right now? I have come to the conclusion that the "sweet spot" for silver is around 5-10 oz bars, and for gold its 1/4 oz. These are amounts that most people can afford without making any major sacrifices to other financial needs. If silver gets a huge run-up in pricing, as alot of people expect, why would you want anything to do with a 100oz bar that only a dealer could afford to buy from you in a pinch? >>

Great points and I totally agree. From a practical viewpoint, the 10 oz is the optimal size for most people.

<< <i>Any particular reason you are hellbent on a large bar? Smaller bars can be had for about the same premiums as 100oz or kilo bars on occassion. Its far easier to sell 10 small bars than 1 large bar.....dont believe me? How many people, even on this forum, could afford a 10 oz gold bar right now? How many could afford a 1oz gold bar right now? I have come to the conclusion that the "sweet spot" for silver is around 5-10 oz bars, and for gold its 1/4 oz. These are amounts that most people can afford without making any major sacrifices to other financial needs. If silver gets a huge run-up in pricing, as alot of people expect, why would you want anything to do with a 100oz bar that only a dealer could afford to buy from you in a pinch? >>

Assuming he is buying 100 oz's in bar form--------In a pinch wouldn't you want to sell to a dealer rather then someone random? -------- If he's buying ten 10 oz bars or one 100 oz bar and needs to sell them all at once, what's the difference? I don't think he's going to want to sell 10 oz bars to four or five different parties. That would stink. JMHO. Again, what's wrong with dealers in a pinch? MJ
  • gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

Assuming he is buying 100 oz's in bar form--------In a pinch wouldn't you want to sell to a dealer rather then someone random? -------- If he's buying ten 10 oz bars or one 100 oz bar and needs to sell them all at once, what's the difference? I don't think he's going to want to sell 10 oz bars to four or five different parties. That would stink. JMHO. Again, what's wrong with dealers in a pinch? MJ >>

Nothing is really wrong with selling to a dealer, however, I have noticed that in life, the more options you have the better off you are. Why cut your selling options in half when for the same cost now, he can have twice the selling options in the future? Large precious metal bars never made sense to me personally. Unless you have 10,000+ oz of physical silver, whats wrong with having 10 - 10oz bars rather than 1- 100oz bar? I would only buy the 100oz bar if the premiums were significantly cheaper...and right now, they simply are not.
    I think the form or weight is less important than the price. I prefer 10 oz bars but I would buy a kilo or 50 oz bar in a heartbeat if the price was right. It is important that the bar was produced by a company that is reputable and fairly well known.

• PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭
    Having earlier said I prefer the 100 ouncer... I STRONGLY prefer Kennedy 1964's over bars...