Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Am I being petty with shipping charges?

This topic always seems to draw 2 staunch battle lines.

Scenario: I won a card on Ebay for $225. Listing shows shipping charges of $3 (please see details). Of course I didn't read details ahead of time and quickly paid my $228. Get an email showing amount refunded and new invoice waiting. Guy explains insurance and delivery confirmation are being added. I read details now and does say insurance for items over $100 (fair enough). New shipping charges on invoice are $15 from U.S. I check insurance for that value ($4.70) and dc (.80). I think the $5.50 added to original $3 seems fair and am willing to split difference between $8.50 and $15 with him.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I think you need to find out if he is upping the service...priority to express?
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    I think you should remind him that he isn't allowed to pass the cost of insurance on to you. It's against eBay policy.

Here is what eBay policy says:

Can I add insurance charges to my invoice?
    You can't charge a separate fee for insurance, but you can incorporate any insurance costs into your item's price or handling cost. Whether or not you choose to insure the item, you still need to make sure your item arrives as described.

-----------------------------------------------
    What not to do
    You're not allowed to provide inconsistent or misleading information on the terms and conditions of the sale.

Once the buyer has committed to purchasing the item, you can't change the terms of the sale.

Examples of prohibited behavior include:

Entering an amount for shipping costs when you're listing an item, and then indicating that you charge a different amount either in the item description or after the buyer has committed to buying the item

Providing false tracking information

Stating in a listing that you accept returns, but refusing to do so after the item's been purchased

You're not allowed to say that you're not responsible for item delivery or ensuring that the item is delivered as described. For example, we don't allow statements like "I am not responsible for the item once it's dropped in the mail."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Delivery Confirmation and extra services: If these options are offered to the buyer, you can only charge what they actually cost. Examples of services include:

Certificate of Mailing

Certified Mail

Collect on Delivery

Delivery Confirmation

Registered Mail

Restricted Delivery

Return Receipt

Signature Confirmation

Special Handling

edited to add delivery confirmation info
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options
    StatmanStatman Posts: 597 ✭✭✭
    I'd get him to agree to the $8.50 - he says all that is being added is DC and insurance.

Be interesting to see where the $15 figure comes from
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    $15 seems kinda excessive to me, but some members seem to have an issue with just $4 shipping........at worst case scenario, shipping with SIGNATURE confirmation and insurance, and even including a little something for his time and gas should be around $7.00 (and that is including him having to buy bubble mailers and bubble wrap - hopefully the card will be packed well)......So I would say you are spot on (meaning YOUR $8.00 estimation is on the money - $15 IS excessive).
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$15 seems kinda excessive to me, but some members seem to have an issue with just $4 shipping........at worst case scenario, shipping with SIGNATURE confirmation and insurance, and even including a little something for his time and gas should be around $7.00 (and that is including him having to buy bubble mailers and bubble wrap - hopefully the card will be packed well)......So I would say you are spot on (meaning YOUR $8.00 estimation is on the money - $15 IS excessive). >>

$3 for shipping/supplies/time (this is what he charged in the listing).

Insurance (not sure but think it is $4.60) - this I would DECLINE personally and add that if HE wants the card to arrive (as that's all usps will cover...damage is a PAIN) then HE needs to pay the $4.60

Signature confirmation (a little excessive for $228 card IMO) is $1.00 extra.

$8.60 total, so you're right, $8 is on the money...BUT I would decline the insurance.

edit to add: can't the guy just be happy he is getting $200+ for a sports card, sheesh.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    lesson learned...

Of course I didn't read details ahead of time

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>Signature confirmation (a little excessive for $228 card IMO) is $1.00 extra >>

Signature confirmation is actually $1.95. And that is IF you purchase it online, thru Click-N-Ship. I believe it you purchase Sig Confirmation thru a postal store, it is upwards of $2.50+.
  • Options
    Signature confirmation protects the seller and should not be charged to the buyer.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Signature confirmation (a little excessive for $228 card IMO) is $1.00 extra >>

Signature confirmation is actually $1.95. And that is IF you purchase it online, thru Click-N-Ship. I believe it you purchase Sig Confirmation thru a postal store, it is upwards of $2.50+. >>

right, 1.95
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    If the listing showed $3.00 S&H then you don't owe one penny more.
  • Options

<< <i>If the listing showed $3.00 S&H then you don't owe one penny more >>

Right - I charge $4.00. If the card brings over $250, then I still charge the same $4.00. Sometimes you come out a little ahead, sometimes you lose money that way. Of course, there is always BIN with FREE SHIPPING (but it is built into the price)......

as far as the OP topic....if you don't want the card, then don't pay. $15 sounds extreme to me and should be reported.
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Signature confirmation protects the seller and should not be charged to the buyer. >>

/////////////////////////////////

In ALL "real biznez," ALL costs/expenses involved in a transaction
    are charged to the buyer.

EBAY provides for that rational model by telling sellers to use BINs
    and include the S+H-costs in the item price.

Outside of the BIN/FS scheme, EBAY prohibits the seller from charging
    many of his costs of the transaction.

On many issues, EBAY is great for buyers, TERRIBLE for sellers.

So much for my "end of April, 75M listings" theory.

March 30, 2010 2 PM

Listing Counts

eBay .........101,113,638 .......+55,758,882

eCrater ........... 3,158,658 ....... +5359

Bonanzle ...... 2,888,804 ...... +11320

And, so much for the "value" of stores-in-search.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    He's price gouging. Plain and simple.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    jlzinckjlzinck Posts: 907 ✭✭
    The shipping is included in the auction software so you can checkout when the auction is finished. So seller is at fault.

If you really want the card, pay the $15 and give seller a neutral and 1's on DSR.

If he comes down to a realistic shipping/insurance of like $8 I would then leave no feedback.

Unfortunately if you want the card you need to pay extra.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I'd pay it and move on.
  • Options

"...Listing shows shipping charges of $3 (please see details)...."

//////////////////////////

$3 - plus whatever the details say - is the correct price.
  • Options
    But storm, I think the seller should be responsible for the extra fees, but in this case, as you have pointed out, the buyer should have read all the details.

These extras are to protect the seller and do very little-if nothing- for the buyer. The smart thing for the seller would have been to include these costs into the listing as a BIN or started his auction higher.

Am I off base here?
  • Options

<< <i>But storm, I think the seller should be responsible for the extra fees, but in this case, as you have pointed out, the buyer should have read all the details.

These extras are to protect the seller and do very little-if nothing- for the buyer. The smart thing for the seller would have been to include these costs into the listing as a BIN or started his auction higher.

Am I off base here? >>

///////////////////////////////////

You are totally on base.

But, buyers DO pay ALL costs/expenses in ALL commercial transactions.
    EBAY simply throws up roadblocks to that process; but removes them
    with the BIN/FS feature.

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    I don't know how the seller came up with $12 but if he's serious about wanting to tack on an $12 extra for insurance he really needs to make it more clear in the auction listing. Very few buyers would catch that fine print and $12 extra is not in the ballpark. If you haven't already, contact him, as it could have been a mistake. If the card isn't worth it to you then back out of the deal and you won't get stuck with an unpaid item strike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320506339981
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd pay it and move on. >>

Depends on how badly I wanted that particular card
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But storm, I think the seller should be responsible for the extra fees, but in this case, as you have pointed out, the buyer should have read all the details.

I understand the part where I should have read the details. I'm not arguing about paying for insurance, I'm simply saying that he is charging an extra $12 for $5.50 worth of postal services ---- that was not mentioned.
  • Options

"...I combine items for posting but any item or combined items with an auction value of more than $100.00 must be insured and will be charged accordingly...."

////////////////////////////

That is a clear EBAY-policy violation.

Since he is a Top-Rated Seller, maybe he is allowed to
    do whatever he wants to do.

• Options
    halfcentmanhalfcentman Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭
    This is a VERY sensitive area with buyers.

The seller that you are dealing with is in risk of losing his Powerseller status (if he has it) because buyers are not reluctant to rip sellers on S&H charges, even if they are slightly above cost. The problem lies in how much THEY think it should cost to send the item, and many buyers usually do not have an idea.

In your case, the charges are excessive. For cards over $250.00, I send the item Priority Mail with a Signature Confirmation. It costs $6.70 and I charge $7.95. Keep in mind that I am putting a card in a corrugated mailer, a #0 padded envelope, and a Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope. If you think this is excessive, I will show you a picture of a coin that was sent to Canada and the package got mangled. My triple packaging enabled the slabbed Barber Quarter to arrive intact and unfettered.

A very good topic.

Greg
  • Options
    sounds like an excellent packaging job Greg.

I have no problem paying a fair price $3 on a cheapo card is not an issue, i will pay more for insurance, tracking etc. its a 2 way street. Fair is fair. $15 is over the top $8 seems reasonable.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I think the guys is actually trying to SAVE his seller some money, although it doesnt come out that way. He mentions that he only charges insurance once it reaches XXX amount, basically he is offering to eat any risk personally and not charge the buyer INS. If he doesnt do it this way, he would have to charge the flat fee on all transactions, costing him bids and the seller more postage.

That being said, $8.50 is what should be paid. As a seller, I dont want to gouge the buyer, but again, I dont want to lose money on shipping either
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the listing showed $3.00 S&H then you don't owe one penny more. >>

Exactly.