Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1994 Bongo Dipkin Skybox P4 Promo

Been wanting one since 2005 ish. Seen a few sell on ebay. $100+ One recently poped up and it was my time to own one. Paid 3x more than I thought I would have to but I'll now have one.

Dipkin is FINALLY mine

So on another board someone shows me this. I never saw it as it didn't pop up in my search.

Wish I never saw this one

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Donovan ... so wait one minute ... are you telling me you paid $400+ for the same card that sold for $15 the same week? PLEASE don' t tell me that happened to you!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Yes, I paid 28x more than I should have, had I saw that BIN.

At least I didn't pay 30x more. That would be crazy. lol
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    D'OH!
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I don't even buy a cheap computer part (~$5) without looking high and low for a cheaper price. image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Yes, I paid 28x more than I should have, had I saw that BIN.
    At least I didn't pay 30x more. That would be crazy. lol >>

OUCH!!! May you sell 35 of your Variation guides today! lol
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    gosh that bites man!!!!!!!!!!!!

at least you got one
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Put the other 2 promos you "won" up for auction. Maybe that's what everyone was after?

Oh, and I did a search for "Dipkin", and another of these cards sold for $5.60/dlvd on Sunday.

edit to add: Never mind, the $5.60 one is the common variation. It doesn't have the stats on the back.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>Put the other 2 promos you "won" up for auction. Maybe that's what everyone was after?

Oh, and I did a search for "Dipkin", and another of these cards sold for $5.60/dlvd on Sunday. >>

The other 2 promos are worth a few bucks. The Dipkin has demand and was a SP, apparently.

edit - I see you realized. Here's some more info on it. The card that sold for $5, was the comic book insert. Smaller bat knob, different back etc. Issued in 1994 Simpsons Bongo #4. I need one without a surface indention. Bought over 20 and all of them had it ! Ugh.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on finally getting one image

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>Congratulations on finally getting one image

Steve >>

Thanks !
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Congrats!!!

I know the feeling.... just think of it this way, the other people just got a great deal. Is this card known to be rare? How was it distributed?
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    What will this card be worth in 215 years?

Any ideas?
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>What will this card be worth in 215 years?

Any ideas? >>

Does it matter? This is supposed to be a hobby, not the stock market!
  • Options

<< <i>What will this card be worth in 215 years?

Any ideas? >>

$1,150.

Sincerely,
    Biff Tannen
  • Options
    Not a confirmed fact, but supposedly given away at the 1994 San Diego Comic Convention. It is rare as it was apparently a SP. The other 3 cards in this 4 card set are easy to find. This is now the 4th one I've seen, including the !%## $15 one.

In 215 years the value will be $5 due to the large stash found in someones storage unit. What was once thought to be a SP (Short Print) was actually SP (Stashed Product) Which Heritage collectors will find to be true with their SP cards as well. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donovan...

It's great that you got your card.

Sorry, you could not get it cheaper...Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    It is amazing what is out there that's deemed insignificant at the time.

Great pickup.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    OUCH
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Your the only one that SHOULD have this card in their collection. image

• Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    to add insult..

"Winning bid receives both cards."

so, in sum, he basically gave the P4 away for free. wow.
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Remember, collectibles are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. A second thought, you haven't lost a penny unless, or untill, you sell the item. Enjoy it, it's a cool card. (my age is showing)

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
  • Options
    ouch is right, but every card is worth a different amount to each collector.

Enjoy it!
  • Options
    I'd just pick up a few more if I could at the $15.00 price if possible...Seeing one sell for $420 should bring several more out of the woodwork. Buy em up cheaper if possible, average down your cost per card and then flip the others at a later date.
  • Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭
    1989FleerBillRipkencollector is to Dipkin, as 707 is to the 52 Topps Mantle. image
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    I wonder why the person that created that card spelled it "Dipkin", and not "Dipken."
    He must be one of the many people that think "Ripken" is spelled "Ripkin."
  • Options
    Ok, so I paid $420, sold the others in the lot bringing my cost down to $380.

Then this one closes for $465 !!

In hindsight, I got a deal as mine does not have a corner ding !
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    nice !

you should CORNER THE MARKET
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on your pick up! I'm going to assume that no one else here had ever seen one of these before, but we all know the feeling of adding that one card you've been looking for. Well done!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the bat knob is bigger on the P4 card.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Donovan:

Someone had given me this card years ago and I had always figured it was more of a novelty item than anything. Can you tell me which one I have (is it the common one or rare one?)?:

imageimage

Thanks

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options

<< <i>Someone had given me this card years ago and I had always figured it was more of a novelty item than anything. Can you tell me which one I have (is it the common one or rare one?)?:
    >>

You have "B1", which is more common.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    P4 for $10 sold after the $15 one?

Am I missing something?
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>P4 for $10 sold after the $15 one?

Am I missing something? >>

Since the back is not shown, I believe that is the B1 based on my new discovery of the smaller bat knob. image

Edited to add: The lines that cross the H and A in fish and face seem to extend outside the boundaries of the letter in the P4 version, but not the B1 version. This is all helpful info on auctions where the back is not shown.
  • Options

<< <i>P4 for $10 sold after the $15 one?

Am I missing something? >>

That auction is for the common one. You can tell by the size of the bat knob.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    ah good call guys, size does matter...