Home Metal Detecting
Options

80 on Saturday?! Ah'm a diggin'!

Bad leg or not, a fresh 9 volt is going into the detector and I'm digging somewhere on saturday-
just too nice to pass up a sunny 80 degree day in early April.image

Now if I can just find a spot that will be moderately productive...
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find a high school football stadium and hunt the grassy area by the concession stand if there is one. Look for the area where the kids play while the game is going on. Look on the hill sides if there is one.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That kind of weather demands and MD'r get out and swing. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Sledding hills in the spring are always productive
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    I'm with you!! 75 degrees here this weekend. My Ace just came in and I desperately want to get out an use it but these 4-7 inches of rain that we're getting is making life a little difficult. I will be bringing the Ace aboard the ark when we board tomorrow.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Naturally, we will expect a full report.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will be out digging as well saterday and sunday image happy hunting all
  • Options
    I am fond of parks and grassy sidewalk and median strips in the older parts of town. If your town has a Victorian neighborhood, so much the better. Heck, you live up there in Yankeeland where there are still-standing Colonial houses standing all over the place, right? image

Even if you don't get permission to hunt in the yards of such dreamy spots, there's always the sidewalks or medians nearby (assuming your town doesn't have an ordinance against hunting such places).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    So... what did you find?

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Sore knees and a huge collection of pull tabs, strips of wire and crushed alum cans.image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some days your the pigeon, some days the statue. Sometimes you get the corn, other times the cob. image Better days will come... HH Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find a high school football stadium and hunt the grassy area by the concession stand if there is one. Look for the area where the kids play while the game is going on. Look on the hill sides if there is one.

I used to help my Dad clean up the grounds after football games in my small hometown many years ago. The concession stand and bleachers where I used to find lots of coins then - are now gone. Guess what I'll be doing if I remember to bring my metal detector the next time I go to visit?image

Are metal detectors easy to figure out? My fiancee' got one for Christmas a few years ago and we still need to get going with it. We probably have stuff all over the place (at least, she thinks so).image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Most are pretty easy and even if you don't have the manual you can download from the manufacturer sites. Very highly recommend a read before swinging, you can oftentimes save yourself a lot of frustration. You never know what might be lying in your own yard - I had a Walking liberty half among other goodies. Of course the first thing pulled from the yard was a '71 Lincoln cent, but there was much, much more. I still feel I haven't gotten everything there although I rarely detect my own yard anymore - there's more fertile ground about. One thing's for sure - it didn't take much to get me hooked.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I've been using a large knife to dig the ground after picking up a signal which I'm finding very unsatisfactory. (too thin and long)

Garden trowels seem to have too blunt of an edge-what do the rest of you use?
  • Options
    Fiskar's transplanting trowel - it's thinner than most and has a inch scale on it and is very sturdy. Going into a park with one of those trowels with a jagged edge on one side gets you more funny looks than usual, but some swear by them.
    -Joe

-Weinman Fan