Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The PCGS Blue Bean?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
I borrowed this term from another thread. Wouldn't it totally crush NGC if PCGS offered a Blue Bean sticker service, for the same price as the CAC service, to grade approve NGC coins that met PCGS standards. These coins would be eligible for reholdering at the appropriate grading tier price. That way, PCGS gets their label on NGC coins, but NGC still had the grade guarantee.

It needs some refinement, but it could be a little Big One.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I doubt it would happen from a business standpoint as it would effectively be a service that "legitimizes" the competition.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I borrowed this term from another thread. Wouldn't it totally crush NGC if PCGS offered a Blue Bean sticker service, for the same price as the CAC service, to grade approve NGC coins that met PCGS standards. These coins would be eligible for reholdering at the appropriate grading tier price. That way, PCGS gets their label on NGC coins, but NGC still had the grade guarantee.

It needs some refinement, but it could be a little Big One. >>

what would prevent NGC from offering the same service to evaluate and approve PCGS coins?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I borrowed this term from another thread. Wouldn't it totally crush NGC if PCGS offered a Blue Bean sticker service, for the same price as the CAC service, to grade approve NGC coins that met PCGS standards. These coins would be eligible for reholdering at the appropriate grading tier price. That way, PCGS gets their label on NGC coins, but NGC still had the grade guarantee.

What evil thoughts you have. Sign me up.image
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    RYK is trying to start "Bean Wars"image----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Bean Wars"....imageMAO... good one Big E.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

I especially like this idea. Let's add ANACS coins as well.

FWIW, of the Barbers I have cracked out of ANACS slabs, they have all upgraded at PCGS.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    Sorry sir, back to the drawing board Blue Bean is already taken.

How about "The Bean Blue"? Too close to trademark?image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While no one is looking at all this Third Party grading of Third Part graded coins someone
    could probably slip the coin out of the holder without anyone noticing....

Might be months before some "collectors" noticed their coin wasn't there.

Might not even matter then to some........
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    Yes, insurance would be cheaper too. You just keep your beans at home and store the coin somewhere else------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it. I'm sure NGC wouldn't, and maybe it's better not to rouse the sleeping giant. But let's play with the idea...Can blue-beaned NGC coins be used in the PCGS registry?
    Lance.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can blue-beaned NGC coins be used in the PCGS registry? >>

IMO, this is about the only reason why the "market" would find such a service valuable. Then again, if it's not much cheaper than a crossover, you might as well do the crossover if you want the PCGS grade opinion and the PCGS registry.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Paul Beanyan would be inclined to submit coins under these circumstances.
  • Options
    You could have a bean COA with a number on it that looks like a mini Taco Bell napkin-----------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>I like it. I'm sure NGC wouldn't, and maybe it's better not to rouse the sleeping giant. But let's play with the idea...Can blue-beaned NGC coins be used in the PCGS registry?
    Lance. >>

What I would do is allow the usage of the Blue Bean coins in the Registry but with a "minus" modifier and appropriate point deduction. That would give tacit encouragement to pay the grading fee, so you could compete.

The Blue Bean would not only provide direct competition to the Green Bean (on NGC coins), but it would also take a shot at NGC.
  • Options
    How about a rainbow bean for NT coins and an upside down or broken rainbow bean for AT coins?image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting concept- expand it to allow those coins that have been Blue Beaned into the PCGS Registry and you may have something... just a thought... But if one is going to the trouble of getting a sticker, why not just cross it over or just buy a PCGS graded coin?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Interesting concept- expand it to allow those coins that have been Blue Beaned into the PCGS Registry and you may have something... just a thought... But if one is going to the trouble of getting a sticker, why not just cross it over or just buy a PCGS graded coin? >>

imageBecause it is more enviornmentally friendly than a crossover--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting concept- expand it to allow those coins that have been Blue Beaned into the PCGS Registry and you may have something... just a thought... But if one is going to the trouble of getting a sticker, why not just cross it over or just buy a PCGS graded coin? >>

For a lower fee, the submitted would get the "approval" that the coin would cross and limited registry participation. Many would go on to get their coins crossed, and PCGS would get two fees.

Edit: Why not buy PCGS coins in the first place? I generally do, but sometimes that limits one's opportunity to obtain a nice coin. I would not consider an NGC generic Saint but would not pass up a dirty $5 in an NGC holder.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, some folks prefer the new NGC edge-view holders or the old fatties. Others don't want their slabbed coins re-exposed to the environment, handled, etc.

Edited to add: The fee for the sticker service might be credited to a normal crossover later on.

Good idea, RYK!
    Lance.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    I believe that the Big News was only the initial development.

Much like an iceberg, much of what is to come, still remains

hidden behind the couch and will be rolled out in due course.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

You talkin' 'bout my "Blue Balls" thread?????

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about a "Blue Fish?"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. We could all use a little blue fish right about now.

imageimageimage

http://tinyurl.com/pggxr4a

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like the idea. Reminds me of this:

Just remember what these coins are nicknamed...
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    The first victim might not be NGC. It could be CAC. Who is going to get green/gold beans for his/her NGC coins if this service starts image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting but I can think of a couple of entanglements that would be beneficial to only the lawyers.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suggested a Registry Grade sticker over ten years ago. PCGS would put their grade on top of the NGC grade and it could be entered into the Set Registry as such.
  • Options

<< <i>The first victim might not be NGC. It could be CAC. Who is going to get green/gold beans for his/her NGC coins if this service starts image >>

Since people submit both NGC AND PCGS graded coins to CAC, it's sorta obvious whose opinion they value more even tho a green on a NGC slab is no guarantee that the coin inside will cross at grade or better. Similarly a blue bean on a NGC holder would be no guarantee that the coin inside will cross at grade or higher, since once out of the holder ALL BETS ARE OFF!
  • Options
    ahopewell55ahopewell55 Posts: 276 ✭✭
    Nice innovative idea, RYK. I agree with Ikeigwin as well. The Crossover fees can run high on some coins and this would be a great alternative to many collectors. It would also be safer than cracking coins out.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I like it. I'm sure NGC wouldn't, and maybe it's better not to rouse the sleeping giant. But let's play with the idea...Can blue-beaned NGC coins be used in the PCGS registry?
    Lance. >>

What I would do is allow the usage of the Blue Bean coins in the Registry but with a "minus" modifier and appropriate point deduction. That would give tacit encouragement to pay the grading fee, so you could compete.

The Blue Bean would not only provide direct competition to the Green Bean (on NGC coins), but it would also take a shot at NGC. >>

Edit: Yikes, stung by a four year old thread!

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would that make them beaners...... image That is how i was traned by The Goodyear tire and Rubber Co. Was to take the wheel postion or sell them the tire at a discount and when some one want's or needs to order new tires they look at what they have on there car or truck and will order the same tire so we bought the wheel postion to keep selling them later it works well. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I doubt it would happen from a business standpoint as it would effectively be a service that "legitimizes" the competition. >>

i guess they are competitors. see whom can put the worst coins in the highest graded holders? how would that work with the blue beans?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file