Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Gold Panda help...

I've found a 1998 Gold 1oz proof Large Date coin for sale locally and I'm hoping some of you Panda collectors could help me with some questions.

1. He says this coin is one of the rarest dates. When I compared recently sold items on eBay I didn't see any with the "large date", only the small date.
2. Is this a correct statement that it is one of the rarest in the series?
3. If it is real, approx. how much do you estimate it's value at?

I've attached a few files. I know that these pictures aren't the best, but I would appreciate knowledgeable opinions.

Buying £2 Britannias

Comments

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about scarcity by large and small date but from the linked Panda Paucity index, 1998 is one of the more harder to find gold pandas to be offered for sale ===> Panda Paucity Index

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    They are about the same value.

small date

Large date

The Chinese seller's large date has been relisted several times. I have purchased many Pandas from this seller and found him to be reputable and
    his prices to be to slightly below market.

Note: I don't think the grading services as of yet have distinguished between Large and small date on the 1 oz gold.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    It is not "one of" the rarest - it is the rarest ounce of the regular issues by variety. It is underappreciated compared to the fractionals of that date, and both ebay sellers linked to above want more than current market for their coins. I think it is worth 200ish over spot currently, but if you really want to stretch for it it's almost certain to be a long term winner (IMHO). Sell it to me if you don't want it. PM/Call/Email, 970-556-0966 Aaron at Lancastercoin dot com, references available.
  • Options
    sbeverlysbeverly Posts: 962 ✭✭✭
    both ebay sellers linked to above want more than current market for their coins

The first auction is a closed auction. It was not a Buy it Now, it was an actual auction with 13 bidders.
    No one knows what he actually wanted, that is the price he actually got.

If the market for a collectible is defined as what someone will pay for something, then it's fair to
    say that the ebay market for that panda is what it sold at.
    Positive transactions with Cladiator, Meltdown, ajbauman, LeeG, route66,DennisH,Hmann,FilamCoins,mgoodm3,terburn88,MrOrganic, weg,dcarr,guitarwes,Zubie,Barndog,wondercoin,braddick,etc...
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    First of all, its NOT a proof. The last gold panda 1oz proof made was in 1996. While 1998 IS a key date in the 1oz series, the 1982 is still THE key. A large date 1998 is considerably more scarce than the small date version. Nobody knows for sure as a breakdown of the mintages between the 2 varieties was never disclosed, but in my personal experience I would say there are at least 2 small dates for every large date. Although current pricing does not reflect this at present, most advanced panda collectors would prefer the large date over the small date. As far as value, its all a matter of what grade it achieves. For a raw specimen still in original mylar, barring any distracting copper spots or rim dings, I would say that $1300-$1400 is reasonable at gold $1107. In a PCGS 69, that becomes an $1800-$2000 coin easy. Hope this info helps you in your decision.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    According to the numbers I have the 1996 1 ounce proof panda is the lowest mintage with only 1500 made. All of the 1 ounce proof have a lower mintage than the lowest mintage bullion pandas.

If someone is only collecting the bullion ones then the 1998 is the 3rd lowest excluding proofs and varieties.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>According to the numbers I have the 1996 1 ounce proof panda is the lowest mintage with only 1500 made. All of the 1 ounce proof have a lower mintage than the lowest mintage bullion pandas.

If someone is only collecting the bullion ones then the 1998 is the 3rd lowest excluding proofs and varieties. >>

Actually the 1995 1oz proof is the absolute rarest with a confirmed (not stated though) mintage of just 555 pieces in total. It was once my "dream coin".
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Yes I forgot about that. I have a book in Chinese with the mintages and many coins didn't sell the numbers listed. Also some smaller coins were ruined in jewelry, etc.
  • Options

<< <i>If the market for a collectible is defined as what someone will pay for something, then it's fair to
    say that the ebay market for that panda is what it sold at. >>

Totally agree; I stand corrected.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't know about scarcity by large and small date but from the linked Panda Paucity index, 1998 is one of the more harder to find gold pandas to be offered for sale ===> Panda Paucity Index >>

Trozau

those prices on the platinum pandas on that website..

accurate?

as in retail or wholesale

thanx
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't know about scarcity by large and small date but from the linked Panda Paucity index, 1998 is one of the more harder to find gold pandas to be offered for sale ===> Panda Paucity Index >>

Trozau

accurate?

thanx >>

The best current price indicator for the China Pandas is eBay. The platinum Panda series (in the 1 troy ounce size that I collect has very low mintages (highest mintage being 3,000 for the 1989). They were only issued as proof and ran from 1987 thru 1990 (only 4 - 1 troy ounce series). A fifth 1 troy ounce issue is a New York coin show commem in 1987 ( issued in both gold and platinum). The 1990 has the highest premium and is the key date. The 1987 New York coin show issue also has a high premium because it featured the NY skyline with the twin towers and a low mintage of 1000 pieces only. Recent eBay sales have been in the low to mid $2k range for the 1987 - 1989 and mid to high 3K for the 1990. I am not too familiar with the fractional platinum Panda issues. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Trozau

accurate?

thanx >>

The best current price indicator for the China Pandas is eBay. The platinum Panda series (in the 1 troy ounce size that I collect has very low mintages (highest mintage being 3,000 for the 1989). They were only issued as proof and ran from 1987 thru 1990 (only 4 - 1 troy ounce series). A fifth 1 troy ounce issue is a New York coin show commem in 1987 ( issued in both gold and platinum). The 1990 has the highest premium and is the key date. The 1987 New York coin show issue also has a high premium because it featured the NY skyline with the twin towers and a low mintage of 1000 pieces only. Recent eBay sales have been in the low to mid $2k range for the 1987 - 1989 and mid to high 3K for the 1990. I am not too familiar with the fractional platinum Panda issues. image >>

Thanx for the detailed answer

Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer