Home Metal Detecting

Trying to determine which one to go with

Trying to decide if I should just go with a new Ace 250 or something like this I've seen online. Any opinions are greatly appreciated.

This is the ad on Craigslist...

http://nh.craigslist.org/for/1654568891.html

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linkified, for anyone else who wants to chime in.

White's is a solid brand name. In fact, it might even be the number one brand. Getting a used higher-model detector versus a newer entry-level model is a difficult choice- it's hard enough to decide when you're an experienced detectorist, but it must be all the more difficult when you're a beginner.

I must say that though I am unfamiliar with where the White's Prizm V fits into their model line (never having used one or known anyone who did) that does look like a pretty fair deal. You've got an electronic pinpointer and several accessories there, including the manual. If in fact it was only used for half an hour, that could be the legendary "cream puff" or "cherry"- sort of like the nearly-new car that was owned by a grandma who only drove it to the store a couple of times.

I haven't used craigslist yet- what recourse do you have if this thing is not as advertised? From everything I can see, it looks like a pretty good deal. You are in NH, right? And so is this guy? So is this something close enough to you that you would be checking it out and/or buying it in person? All the better.

Looks like it's worth checking out. What say the others here?

PS- I have done OK in buying used detectors. Never got burned. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be wary, though. With a little caution and common sense, however, going the used route instead of buying a new machine might actually save you a good bit of money and still get you a nice detector- more bang for the buck. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I'd go so far as to say a detector with only 1/2 hour on it is entirely possible. Take a guy that gets all excited about detecting , buys a good machine then finds out he does not want or cannot spend the time to do it then the excitement wears off and he owns an expensive door stop.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
    Yes, that is one advantageous thing when looking for a detector- many people buy one, use it once or twice, get disgusted when they don't strike it rich, and stick the machine in the closet. It happens all the time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not familiar with that model, but a good brand. I am a White's fan... good luck. Cheers, RickO
  • I ended up going with the Ace 250. Can't wait to get it in and get rolling...just found out a have permission at a very old farmhouse area here in NH. Thanks for all the advice!!
    Well, you've jumped on a very large bandwagon by selecting "the Yeller Feller". Hope it serves you well.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy hunting image I'm a Whites guy to. i did use garrett at one time and would go back to them if i find the right one
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Happy Hunting! I have an ACE 250 as a back up and also bought one for my girlfriend to try and get her interested in one of my favorite outdoor hobbies. Here is an old post I did on a complaint she had with the 250...

Ace 250 check....

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I ended up going with the Ace 250. Can't wait to get it in and get rolling...just found out a have permission at a very old farmhouse area here in NH. Thanks for all the advice!! >>

I'm from N.H. and know quite a few places that are overgrown and forgotten, there is an old drive in in Concord that I need to get to and go around where the concession stand was. Most people have forgotten it and the poles from the speakers are still standing but the brush is as tall if not taller than them. I know another place in Suncook that was once a camp with whiskey making copper laying about. I have not been there in years though. After a good rain sometimes the banks of rivers can give up a few things. Good luck!