Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

How do you feel about the BIG announcement?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DIMEMAN wrote:

<< <i>I keep reading this "PCGS does not require SecurePlus grading yet". It's all I can do to pay $18 a coin for grading. When it cost $65 a coin submitting will be OVER for me. That's totaly rediculous!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am confident that WHEN Secure Plus is reguired on all coins that it will not cost $65 per coin. I am sure that there will be economy and modern price levels just as there are now.

$65 per coin would eliminate too many coins from grading that are the bread and butter for PCGS and they are not about to do that. What did Don say it takes,,,, 15 seconds per coin. So it when volume goes up for this service the cost will come down.

VOLUME - VOLUME - VOLUME,,,,,, right now PCGS is trying to find out the demand level for this new service. When they are ready to implement it on all coins the cost will be less for lower value coins.

You can quote me on this image

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if it's less that 65....it will be more than 18. image

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE $10 A COIN !!!!!!!
  • Options
    As for registry set point values versus keeping coins in old green holders: this is only an issue if you're a collector of holders who sees numismatics as a competitive sport. If you're more interested in the coins themselves than how your game score is doing at the bottom of the seventh inning, it's a non-issue.

I've got two Morgans in old rattler holders that I'm not planning to regrade, even though they might do pretty well. But, I'm not afraid to regrade a coin that I think is worth more; I've already picked out a $2.50 Liberty for the Collector's Club special, which I plan to get in the mail later today.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options

<< <i>somewhat interesting, but i don't like the idea of having to resubmit coins, pay additional fees, have them cracked and reslabbed just to get the plus... would be much simpler if they had a PQ or plus sticker they could just put on our existing slabs if warranted. I don't like the idea of losing my OGH slabs, especially on copper coins given the repeal of the guarantee... sending them all off for a CAC sticker which says basically the same thing seems much easier and lets me keep my old slabs. >>

The regrade analysis is particularly appealing for PCGS coins in old green holders, as higher designations are possible due to more rigorous grading in the past. The crossover is important if you are reasonably certain that coins graded by other companies will score within an acceptable mint-state or proof range in a PCGS holder.
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

<< <i>somewhat interesting, but i don't like the idea of having to resubmit coins, pay additional fees, have them cracked and reslabbed just to get the plus... would be much simpler if they had a PQ or plus sticker they could just put on our existing slabs if warranted. I don't like the idea of losing my OGH slabs, especially on copper coins given the repeal of the guarantee... sending them all off for a CAC sticker which says basically the same thing seems much easier and lets me keep my old slabs. >>

The regrade analysis is particularly appealing for PCGS coins in old green holders, as higher designations are possible due to more rigorous grading in the past. The crossover is important if you are reasonably certain that coins graded by other companies will score within an acceptable mint-state or proof range in a PCGS holder. >>

Most of the better green holder coins have already been picked over and resubmitted. Consequently, at this point, I don't think that they are any more likely to upgrade than random selections of more recently graded coins.
  • Options
    I meant also to comment on something fairly obvious: Sending in ANY coin for a regrade only makes sense if the coin looks under-graded. Aiming for the plus on a regrade would be pointless if the coin did not look like it actually deserved it. I know, that's kind of a given, but I do have to bring it up.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.