Home U.S. Coin Forum

Very detailed images of PCGS fake slab on eBay

kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
A diligent member of the Coin Forgery eBay group brought this to our attention, what appears to be a genuine 1882-O Morgan in a fake MS 66 graded PCGS slab! View the scam item here: Link to fake slab

and link to Heritage auction of the real thing: H.A. auction link

So here we have what appears to be a genuine, lower grade coin in a fake holder; and on the other thread going now, a fake '93-cc in a fake holder. I really hope the upcoming 'big one' deals with security!

(Thanks for fixing the link, T.C.)

Comments

• TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A diligent member of the Coin Forgery eBay group brought this to our attention, what appears to be a genuine 1882-O Morgan in a fake MS 66 graded PCGS slab! View the scam item here: Link to fake slab

So here we have what appears to be a genuine, lower grade coin in a fake holder; and on the other thread going now, a fake '93-cc in a fake holder. I really hope the upcoming 'big one' deals with security! >>

Fixed Link

• coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>A diligent member of the Coin Forgery eBay group brought this to our attention, what appears to be a genuine 1882-O Morgan in a fake MS 66 graded PCGS slab! View the scam item here: Link to fake slab

So here we have what appears to be a genuine, lower grade coin in a fake holder; and on the other thread going now, a fake '93-cc in a fake holder. I really hope the upcoming 'big one' deals with security! >>

Has the seller been notified?
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark, I sent this email to the seller:

"FYI, this coin is in a counterfeit PCGS slab. Check out the real coin and slab in Heritage Auctions Lot number 4514. It was sold at the January 2009 FUN show in Orlando for about $4600. Hopefully you can resolve this problem with whomever you bought this coin from.

I just wanted to inform you so you did not run into problems later.

Kindest regards."

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

"The Big One" cannot address what's already been done........................... only what WILL be done.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Mark, I sent this email to the seller:

"FYI, this coin is in a counterfeit PCGS slab. Check out the real coin and slab in Heritage Auctions Lot number 4514. It was sold at the January 2009 FUN show in Orlando for about $4600. Hopefully you can resolve this problem with whomever you bought this coin from.

I just wanted to inform you so you did not run into problems later.

Kindest regards."
    >>

Thanks - that was a nice way to send the message without accusing the seller of anything intentional. I will do th same. I have already notified PCGS, who generally has a lot more pull with Ebay than we do on such matters.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Has the seller been notified? >>

Yes, I've emailed him and we'll see what he says. I too, always give the benefit of doubt with 100% feedback sellers.
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    Geez, why not at least spring for the bucks to buy a decent coin in 65 before going to all the trouble to encapsulate an obvious smoldering pile of dung? A decent 5 might pass muster.
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Geez, why not at least spring for the bucks to buy a decent coin in 65 before going to all the trouble to encapsulate an obvious smoldering pile of dung? A decent 5 might pass muster. >>

because these 'fakers' don't want to pay a cent for their cr*p.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to post images of this coin a couple of days ago without the grade and have people render their opinions.

The thought didn't cross my mind of a fake slab.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

Great thread, I just looked at the pic, other then the obivious wrong grade...look at the bottom of the label, the barcode runs over the ridge in the slab.....image
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    seller sold a gold $10 recently in a NNC - reverse looks odd
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work!

My first thought upon seeing that coin, fake slab or not is "man, that grade was a gift."

Then I would hit the 'back' button and keep looking...
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
    Has anyone who contacted the seller received a reply yet? I haven't.
  • SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone who contacted the seller received a reply yet? I haven't. >>

I have not gotten a reply either Mark. I am a bit concerned about that now.

<< <i>

<< <i>Has anyone who contacted the seller received a reply yet? I haven't. >>

I have not gotten a reply either Mark. I am a bit concerned about that now. >>

PCGS has contacted Ebay about it, so hopefully the listing will be pulled. Still, if the seller is set on selling the coin anyway, there probably isn't anything that can be done about it. In the back of mind, I think I have a memory of the same coin and counterfeit holder having appeared on Ebay once before.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya know something. We just have to collect for the pleasure of collecting. Trying to help the hobby by
    doing what's right doesn't pay.

In regards to this coin I sent a pleasant note to PCGS to check it out with the Heritage sale. Mentioned
    that their slab was being counterfeited and a sub par coin inserted.

Well, I got a response from PCGS saying that they checked out the database and the numbers are correct!

YEAH, don't bother checking Heritage or having someone look at the coin in the slab. Just grade the slab!

I'm done. You are all big boys, you are on your own. Mark, take over. Utah, take over. Kaz, take over, etc.

bobimage

edited: I never got a reply from the seller but the listing has ended without selling.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    that won't be a problem now the BIG ONE has been introduced

soon, for only $50K and a $3K monthly access fee, you will be able to buy your own box
    so that you can insert the picture of tyhe eBay coin

and all features of the coin will checked with the coin databade at PCGS to see that it actually has been PLUS graded

oops, just kidding

you need to talk to someone at PCGS who knows the problems I guess
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The listing ended "naturally," not pulled and with no takers. Look for it again at an online auction near you!!
  • rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭
    yikes -- this should be a warning to blind bidding idiots on ebay (like myself) who trusted the PCGS slab security. No wonder the "big one"image
    “When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
    the big one does not protect collectors/inbestors

from buying garbage does it?
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great thread, I just looked at the pic, other then the obivious wrong grade...look at the bottom of the label, the barcode runs over the ridge in the slab.....image >>

That is quite normal. the slab looks pretty darned good. I wonder if this is a real slab that has been open or otherwise tamper with. Perhaps real slab, fake label, lower grade coin.

Ebay may still pull it, for what good that will do.

--Jerry
  • panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many thanks to the individual who compiled all of those images. I am chiefly a postal history collector and have a good deal of knowledge about the alterations and fakes in that hobby and how to identify them. Coins is something I also do, but irregularly. I had educated myself on the fake slabs from China (or I thought I had) but I can see that the issue is more extensive than I had understood. So I took a good look at the slabs I happen to have at home (some of my Peace dollars) and noted that there are fake 23's on the list. I have a 22 D that is in a holder that is just a little 'different'. Maybe it is just a different variation that is fine. But I have looked at the articles on the fakes and am not sure about this one. I can try to post an image of the slab. I checked HA and there is no record of it at auction, the cert verifies on PCGS who also show no auction records. Just curious as I assume a very good fake would surpass my knowledge. Suggestions? Thanks!
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

My only advice is to look at as many coins as you can. Go to a shop or a show and spend a lot of time looking. It's one of the best ways to learn.
    Becky
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a really strong magnet to test the coin, but even if it passes that is no guarantee.

There are some excellent labels out there that would fool many, but many are obvious.

Get a photobucket account and post photos from there using the IMG tag method instead of attachments.

Cellphone photos are surprisingly good. Just get them in good lighting & shoot the label, too.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file