Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

The Type Set controversy was a good thing

At least for me it was. I realized that I was buying coins, and spending alot of money for some of them, that I really have no interest in, just so I could complete and then maintain my Set status. I have used this as a wake up call to myself, and to refocus my collecting on the coins that I really like. I don't care if they make up a Registry set or not.

How many of us have ended up searching for all of the different Ike dollars etc. just to fill the slot.? Down deep I know that one superb example would be fine with me.

I guess i have gotten caught up in the hype and competition in the Registry Set arena. I really think it has been a good thing, because I have a much better feeling about what I REALLY want to collect now.

Greg

Comments

• Options
    I think as they keep changing the sets, people may think about their collection and what is in their best interests and stop working on them. Good luck.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Greg,
    Couldn't agree with you more. In one of my post during this controversy I stated that registry set collectors should not be forced to buy coins that they had not interest in collecting, just for the sake of a registry set. All of these minor variety types and questionable types that most collectors had no interest in except those that were specializing in that particular coin or variety.

I was at the point of taking my sets out of the registry if this nonsense continued. I hope more collectors see your point. Coin collecting is a hobby for fun, learning and enjoyment. It should be a labor of love, not of meeting someone else's standards.

Dennis
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmmmm. I think Greg hit the nail on the head. What we need is a personal registry set. One that is customizable to each persons needs. Do we really care how we stack up against everyone else's sets?

For instance start with a set that has all the types in it check off the ones we don't agree with and then the computer spits out a customized type set based on our choices.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    You know I agree, there should be a personal registry. A place where people could place thier coins for "show" them off. With all the current talk about the type sets, I have really thought about my collecting.

I started with Morgans. With that set, I was really buying the coin. However with the type sets, it tunrs into buying the slab more and more. Sure it is nice to have a 1909 VBD cent and a nice St. G. But do I really want or need to have a high relief Peace Dollar?

Greg, I thank you for this thread, my mind is made up and I am going to make a move that would make the Major League Owners happy, contraction.

Jim
  • Options
    Good point, I think it is easy to get caught up in the hype and lose sight of what you like. I have a copper type set which I'm working on, maybe it will be a set some day, who knows. I'm sure there are enough collectors that don't care for all of the copper series and would like to focus on just the Silver too.
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think this has been a wake-up call for me as well. I was finding myself more and more often paying good money for a higher-grade example of a coin that I already had.. even though the one I already has was a nice looking coin. I'm not going to do that anymore. My idea of a proper type set and PCGS' are sometimes two totally different things, and I think I'll stick with mine. If I have coins that fit into their set then fine.. I'll add them. But I'm not going to loose sleep over it if my coins don't fit into the PCGS Registry.
    Matt