Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

MintMoondog's stolen PSA collection

Hello fellow collectors,
Last 4th of July I posted that a large PSA baseball card collection was stolen including over 25,000 psa cards 2 1975 mini cases, 2 1977 topps unopened cases, thousands of valuable rookies and singles etc...The latest update is that the prime suspect has failed a polygraph test earlier this evening - and we will see what the law will be able to do starting tomorrow. My fingers are crossed. Please keep your eyes open over the next couple weeks as I try to retrieve my lifelong collection.
Regards,
Henry
75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!

Comments

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Henry! Hope this turns out well for you.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck. Keep us posted. I can only imagine how terrible this whole ordeal must be for you!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    good luck with it, hope it all works out for you
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, Henry
    I often think of you and that theft. It's a shame. I hope you are able to recover what was taken, or equal value.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Henry ... it's been a LONG time, but I am happy to read that they may have finally caught the SLIMEBAG who stole your collection. Best of Luck and keep us informed.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the update Henry. Your nightmare has since made me install a Home Security System, and a better safe for my cards. My collection is a tiny fraction of the value of your collection, and I'm STILL paranoid about that happening to me. I really hope you get your collection back... ALL of it.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck to you Henry. Hope it turns out well for you...

Donato
    Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Hey Guys,
    thanks a ton, all of the personal support has meant much to me. Yes it has been a nightmare, but by the grace of god I have my collection back! I am sorting through it now, but it appears to all be there including the Brett psa10 mini rookie, the Holland paintings, and all of the unopened cases from the 70s. I let the guy off - as I promised, and am just happy to be back in the game,
    thanks again for all of your efforts including Steve Hart, Gator, Dave's and many others,
    I will be a bit more savvy about guarding my collection this time around for sure.
    Henry
  • Options
    That is fantastic Henry!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am VERY happy for you. Thank God you got it all back. image
  • Options
    cefy1cefy1 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, miracles still do happen.
    Always buying Gretzky PSA Graded

Need some 2007 A&G Regular Back Mini's PM if you have any and I will send my needs list.
  • Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭
    Henry - That's great news. Glad to hear you got everything back. - Kevin
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Moon Doggy image

They say every dog has his day; well.....looks like today is yours! image

Steve
  • Options
    r00kies101r00kies101 Posts: 263 ✭✭
    I can't imagine how happy you must be! Glad everything worked out. Just curious if you'd like to share, but how was the suspect caught?
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    Henry,
    Was it someone you know? If so, makes you think twice about who you let see your collection.
    A buddy of mine works for a local TV station and suggested that they do a story on my collection. I declined, sighting that this would give some unscrupulous person an opportunity to come get my collection. He thought about it for a second and agreed.
    Times are tough and desperate people do desperate things.

Glad you got everything back.
    Logan
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    GREAT to hear you have your collection back! image
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Also glad to hear you got everything back!

Please feel free to post some scans of any cool cards. You deserve to show
    some stuff off, and we'd like to see it!

• Options

<< <i>Also glad to hear you got everything back!

Please feel free to post some scans of any cool cards. You deserve to show
    some stuff off, and we'd like to see it! >>

Ain't that the truth! Show 'em if ya got 'em!!! image
  • Options
    Wow Henry!!! Close call!! Glad you got your collection back! I would highly recommend investing in a safety deposit box for the cards you can't live without. Jim
    PSA: THE BEDELL COLLECTION..1980's Topps Royals, George Brett, Bo Jackson and Jose Canseco collections.

Successful transactions with the following members: Rogermnj, Salinas, CDsNuts, Murphdawg, imafishinnut, samspop, Con40, colebear, jbox, firedawg45
  • Options
    Very good news. Glad it worked out for you.
    ----------------------------------------
    Currently working on:
    1955 Topps All-American
    George Brett Master Set
    2009 A&G's
  • Options
    Henry ... WOW! You got it all back? That's great. Did you get it back after your first post? Was the person who handed it back someone that you knew? I hope that everything is now back where it belongs ... GOOD LUCK!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Good to hear you got your cards back!
  • Options
    Fantastic
    Sounds like it was a good day for the thief, as well
    Just glad you got everything back
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Great news!

aconte
  • Options
    JVetteJVette Posts: 206
    That is way cool!! Great relief that you have your collection back!!
    - Jack
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Makes we wonder how kind I would have been to that piece of garbage. I am very happy for you Henry!
    PackManInNC
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    wow! surprised the collection had not been dumped by now. Great for you!

Now sell it!
  • Options
    Happy for ya Henry !!! Must be a HUGE weight lifted off your shoulders having your collection back. PRAISE GOD !!! Do you have any advise for other collectors with the security of their collections? I personally have a a huge safe deposit box at the Bank.

ENJOY !!!
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    Henry, glad your collection is where it shopuld be....in your hands!
  • Options
    Thanks again fellow collectors! Lessons learned...
    1. Homeowners policies are worthless - Statefarm has a claused buried in its policy that they will only cover 2K for cards and comics. This knucklehead will insure his cards fully this time
    2. What saved me was the individual found out that my cards were registered with PSA so that if any collector tried to register the card i would be notified! The psa registry may have saved me in this case.
    3. Fact that I didnt show my cards off (very few people knew of the collection or saw it) really helped narrow things down.
    I will try to post a couple of my favorite cards, but will be travelling
    Again, thank you all for looking out for my collection over the past year and your warm regards,
    Henry
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    damb fool.

shrewd enough to get into your crib
    but never sold it?!

perhaps simply a case of collecting cardboard gone wrong?
    seller had already registered the cards in their name and put the cards in their favorite collecting corner in their house....

no harm no foul (for you henry)

but the offending party is stupid

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I cant believe after this amount of time you actually got your cards back- safely for that matter!

Glad it worked out for you image
  • Options

Henry

WOW!!!!! Goodstuff I was just thinking of you lastweek....Forget the bretts haha nice to have your stevie y's back eh...... Check your email.....

Cheers Gator
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I am sure that there is a small percentage of people who actually get their collection back after someone stole it.
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    I think you should go back on your promise to "let the guy off" and send his ass to jail instead. Glad you got your cards back, but no justice in this story. At least make him come mow your grass this summer.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
  • Options
    I totally understand the revenge factor...but the guy was having a hard time, had a family to support, and basically lost his friggin mind. I couldn't ever conceive of stealing from a friend but I can certainly try to understand his situation. It doesnt even matter that he also stole my car and burned it after being interviewed by the detective. On one hand, the most irritating aspect of getting my cards back is that they are all disorganized. For example, he sorted all my thousands of minis by grade which means I have to reconfigure all 5 of my registered sets. On the other hand, since I was a little kid frantically looking for the 77 Fidrych rookie I have lived for sorting cards...the most mentally soothing of activities!
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    You sound like a good guy, Moondog. I'm really glad you got all your stuff back. But you're not doing society any favors by letting criminals off the hook. All criminals have "a story" and the economy is a frequently used excuse. But the economy is tough on everyone and most people on this board could use a few extra bucks for basic things and most of us have families to support as well. But thats no excuse for stealing. At the end of the day, we need to punish people for the crimes they commit. If there are no penalties for breaking the law in our society, what message are we sending? And who will the same guy steal from next time because he's not in jail? Your "forgiveness" may actually cost someone else their card collection the next time that chump feels like the poor economy is too hard for him to manage. I strongly urge you to reconsider your stance on not pressing charges. Sending criminals to jail is the right thing to do.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, Henry! Now I think you should celebrate by purchasing a 1977 PSA 10 Fidrych for yourself.

Oh, wait...

All the best!

Nick
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I love happy endings. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Now to set that appointment up with our State Farm agent and see what needs to be done...
  • Options
    WOW! So he WAS a friend? Damn! Did he take other items beside your car and cards? I HOPE he was NOT a longtime or close friend! You have a very forgiving heart.

MCADAMS: You may get your wish. I would think that MOONDOG'S auto insurance company will go after the thief if they have to pay out on the arson.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    ghooper33ghooper33 Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭
    Very happy to hear you got your collection back! It made me sick when I first read about what happened.
    “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit.” -Aristotle
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sound like a good guy, Moondog. I'm really glad you got all your stuff back. But you're not doing society any favors by letting criminals off the hook. All criminals have "a story" and the economy is a frequently used excuse. But the economy is tough on everyone and most people on this board could use a few extra bucks for basic things and most of us have families to support as well. But thats no excuse for stealing. At the end of the day, we need to punish people for the crimes they commit. If there are no penalties for breaking the law in our society, what message are we sending? And who will the same guy steal from next time because he's not in jail? Your "forgiveness" may actually cost someone else their card collection the next time that chump feels like the poor economy is too hard for him to manage. I strongly urge you to reconsider your stance on not pressing charges. Sending criminals to jail is the right thing to do.

I don't often agree with Mcadams/Michael, but I must say I agree 100% with this post. I am glad you got your collection back, but it is very irresponsible to let this guy off the hook and not make him accountable for what he did. Everyone has an "excuse" for why they do the things they do, but we live in a society where adults should face consequences for their actions. No one here would let a child molester off the hook because "he came from an abused home and couldn't help himself," and this scenario, while different, should be treated just the same. Any person who took the time, energy and planning to commit such a theft/burglary (asfter all, it isn't like the guy took a twenty out of your wallet on the bar), should be held accountable for his actions, and by letting him off scot-free, you are sending the wrong message and potentially putting someone else's valuables at risk. Just my 2 cents..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Gentlemen,
    believe me, I am no Mother Teresa. There is much about this that I havent explained. First, there is NO law in this country. Just look around. The police were totally inept and uncaring. I am the one who solved this, the police did NOTHING. In Georgia he would only get probation as a first time offender and his record would be expunged after 5 years. So I would destroy his wife and two children for that level of justice? Forget it. Again, there is NO law in this country, just look at Washington for Christ sake. Second, if we went through the legal process there was a good chance he would destroy the evidence (my collection) like he did my car. So basically I came to the conclusion to confront him directly and give him an out. All I had was my word that I would let it go and forgive everything. At the end of the day, I get my cards, he gets a 2nd chance, and the only other outcome is that I am going to buy lots of guns and wait to vote in the next election image
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Gentlemen,
    believe me, I am no Mother Teresa. There is much about this that I havent explained. First, there is NO law in this country. Just look around. The police were totally inept and uncaring. I am the one who solved this, the police did NOTHING. In Georgia he would only get probation as a first time offender and his record would be expunged after 5 years. So I would destroy his wife and two children for that level of justice? Forget it. Again, there is NO law in this country, just look at Washington for Christ sake. Second, if we went through the legal process there was a good chance he would destroy the evidence (my collection) like he did my car. So basically I came to the conclusion to confront him directly and give him an out. All I had was my word that I would let it go and forgive everything. At the end of the day, I get my cards, he gets a 2nd chance, and the only other outcome is that I am going to buy lots of guns and wait to vote in the next election image >>

First off , I'm really happy that you got your cards back.

In the face of the lawlessness that you and other real American can easily see , I see the reason for your actions and comments. I share your perspective. Pretend Americans , see it differently. See lines at the bottom.

I applaud you for not giving up and waiting for others to solve this problems. Thanks for showing others that taking care of your own problems and issues , normally is the best solution. Unsolved crimes is the norm. I may be wrong , but it seems that the only time when they invest time and manpower and effort , is when it concerns crimes against the state or one of their protected subcultures.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the end , I'd heed your own advise , because the Orcs are at the door , and they are pounding hard. --- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Thanks Calaban,
    another point, I tried to go the FBI route because of the size of the collection. I found out that the internet/interstate department will only handle cases of 1 million or more dollar value...I could have lied but told them my collection was a bit south. It took the police over 3 months to get the cell phone records of the first suspect, and the attending officer - a nice enough young lady didn't even try to find the point of entry (my neighbor who is a former cop found it). The CSI investigator did nothing but splash the fingerprint ink powder all over my home (ruined my carpet and forced me to repaint many of my shelves and doorways). The private investigator I hired initially was a waste of 2.5K dollars, that would have been better spent at the bunnyfarm north or Vegas. If I went the law enforcement route there was a very good chance they would bungle it (i.e. Natalie Holloway and the underpants bomber). Sorry to be so cynical but this experience was quite eye-opening and nothing you see on TV maps reality. I would like nothing more than to mete out street justice on the guy who stole my collection (in Nigeria he would be wrapped in tires and burned in the streets), but I gave my word so it is done.
    Henry
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why am I not suprised the Law Enforcement scenary sounds like it was/would have bee a waste of time?

They truly dont give a rats azz about a card collection being stolen first off, secondly Im not suprised either about the little CSI team bungling up your room. Ive said it numerous times and I will say it again that 75% of Law Enforcement is made up of a bunch of incompitent idiots.

The funny thing is if you kicked the guys azz YOU would have gotten in more trouble than he ever would have.

Either way I think it says alot about your character letting this guy off the hook due to his family issues however I disagree because who is to say this dirtbag wont do this to someone else- maybe to a guy who has fallen on hard times himself?
  • Options
    Perkdog you hit it right on the head! I have 3 boys myself, if I pummelled him I would be in jail with a permanent felony on my record, lose my job and my boys would be ruined. He steals over .5Million in cards, burns my car, and would get a non felony probation. None of it makes any sense. BTW I do not mean to belittle any law enforcement types, but really - those guys were either inexperienced and/or overworked and really it isn't their collection. The PIs were just money grubbers who talked a big game. In the end I had to take care of things myself.
    BTW the single stupidest comment I heard over and over again these past 9 months "well thank god your children are safe" (as if it is a forced choice)...of course it was always a female who said it image but I am just saying...
  • Options
    Henry
    After reading your posts I have to agree with your decision
    With your collection being worth that much, I wouldn't risk having him destroy it
    BTW, how did he come to learn that he'd have trouble selling them, due to the registry?
  • Options
    Hey Matt,
    he doesnt know baseball, but knew the value of my collection. After the theft he "volunteered" to help me track down the thief (the balls on this guy!). That is when I told him that as soon as the idiot tried to sell my collection and someone else tried to register the cards on PSA I would be notified. Luckily, he didnt know which cards were actually registered or he could have sold all my loose rookies (like 3 psa 10 yzermans, dozens of barry sanders 10s and on and on). I told PSA that this could be a good selling point for them and the registry but they were also uninterested in helping me. Really, the only guys who felt my pain were collectors like yourselves and dealers like Steve Hart and the head of REA (sorry forgot his name). In PSAs defense, several ladies that worked there were very helpful and told me that they were aware of the theft since it was a large collection. The president of PSA never said a word or lent any support whatsoever. I'll remember that.
  • Options
    HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 300 ✭✭
    This is why I protect my house with ADT & Glock.