Home Precious Metals
Options

Crack out slabbed bullion???

I recently picked up a 2003 1/2 oz and 2003 1/4 oz PCGS MS69 graded Gold Eagles. I didn't pay anymore for the graded then I do for the raw coins ( $580 for the 1/2 and $295 for the 1/4). So my question is......I have a coin album that I keep all my gold coins in, would it do any harm or cost me any $$ in the long run to crack these out of the slabs, and put them in normal flips and put them in my album?
Thanks for the input!
CJ
"When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins in slabs are more marketable. Think of it this way: They won't always sell for more. But all things being equal, they'll probably sell first.

If you don't plan on selling them soon, or if you don't mind the possibility of taking a small hit when you do sell them, then do what you like and crack them out. I'd keep them slabbed. I'd buy them slabbed over unslabbed coins, and I'd pay a small premium ($5, maybe $10 per coin) for a PCGS slab.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Are they the W's or just the straight bullion? If they are not the W mint mark I would crack them but if they were the W then I would keep them slabbed. Honestly I don't think it would hurt either way just what I would do personally. (unless of course you mess up the coin taking it out image)
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Options
    They are nothing special..just run of the mill AGEs no mint marks, etc. Whats crazy is, the PCGS website says the 1/2oz graded at MS69 is worth $710 and the 1/4oz at MS69 is worth $390......but do people really pay that much for run of the mill slabbed eagles?
    Thanks!
    CJ

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Weiss on this. If I had $300 and wanted to buy 1/4oz of gold, I'd buy a slabbed one(if it's priced the same as the raw one) any chance I could.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Couple months ago I bought 20 of the AGE quarters all in PCGS slabs. I cracked every single one. I'd only care about slabbed bullion if it were a key date OR if it sold for significantly more than a raw example. These coins met neither of the criteria.
  • Options
    if I were to crack them out, is there any tips in doing so that makes it an easy process?