Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Anaconda's prediction about what PCGS will soon announce

I think PCGS will soon announce that they will soon start grading coins with either a plus sign to indicate premium quality or a negative sign to indicate low end for the grade or with nothing to indicate average for the grade. There will be 65-, 65 and 65+, etc. There will 33 ms/pf grades instead of 11. The grading of circulated coins will remain the same.

And, I predict that if that isn't what they're going to announce, then they will soon announce that they will soon start some form of limited decimal grading like adding 65.1, 65.2, 65.3, 65.4, 65.5, 65.6, 65.7, 65.8, 65.9., etc., to the grading scale.

I think that's what their announcement is going to be because it's a brilliant idea that makes sense for everyone (except CAC).

It makes sense for PCGS because:

- they can do (and make money on) what CAC is doing, identifying coins that are PQ.

- CAC makes them look less than optimally competent and going to +/- or to decimal grading will probably make CAC obsolete.

-millions of coins will "need" to be re-graded and that's especially good for PCGS now that the economy and hence submissions are less than optimal.

-It makes sense for the public (I hope they do one or the other) because it will help protect them by allowing them to have more accurate grading. (Consensus grading isn't as replicable or "accurate" as weighted average blind grading.)

Lastly, I predict that they will announce that they are changing the way they grade coins. No longer will they have a finalizer and two opinion givers who render opinions for the finalizer (or some permutation of that), and whose opinions can be overridden by the finalizer. They will move to a system of blind grading by three people whose grades will be averaged together (probably by weight, i.e., the more experienced grader's opinion will play into the final opinion in a more substantial way than a less experienced/knowledgeable way) to produce the final grade. It will no longer be "consensus grading" but blind weighted average grading permitting traditional integer grades but also final grades between traditional integer grades.

I'm adrian and I approve this message.

Postscript - I just read on the boards that this announcement also involves Legend. I think they are owners or part owners of CAC. I predict that somehow CAC may be bought out by PCGS who will announce a new grading scale and methodology.

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very plausible......Will they cash HRH's $1000 check where you areimage

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see how PCGS could introduce a new and improved method to grading without at the same time then declaring inadaquate grading up to this point.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ANACONDAANACONDA Posts: 4,692
    Is he offering $1000 to anyone who correctly predicts their announcement?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be disappointing (if that's all it is). I expect the Big One to be proactive, new, and exciting, not reactive.
  • Options
    but what do the goats say? image

nice to see a post from you image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    Coming up with an improved methodology of grading in 2010 isn't an admission that their previous grading system was negligently designed or implemented. They're just improving something that was an improvement to the marketplace in 1987.
  • Options
    Who are the goats?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is he offering $1000 to anyone who correctly predicts their announcement? >>

Yes... but nothing was mentioned about wire transfers to third world countries image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Unfortunately I am in the United States right now, Colorado to be exact.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't see how PCGS could introduce a new and improved method to grading without at the same time then declaring inadaquate grading up to this point. >>

They did it on PSA Sportscards when they introduced half point grading a few years ago so there is some precedent. At first there was a lot of kicking and screaming by collectors but in the end resistance was futile. Half grades sell for a lot more money. I know not exactly apples to apples but.................Not sayin I believe that this is the announcement, but I find it plausible just the same. JMHO. MJ
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome back.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>Who are the goats? >>

I don't know... some rumor I heard about a goat farm... never mind... I did not post anything...

Still nice to see you posting... it's been a while... (if you have posted recently before this thread, I must have missed it)...

No, we do not know each other... but you always had(have) a way of livening things up here... usually with some great coins... but then there was "something" else I vaguely remember...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Hi Adrian, good to see you post here.

If it's either of the predictions you mentioned, I hope it is the first one and not the second one.

Many submitters use CAC to 1) get a second opinion and/or 2) weed out problem coins and/or get CAC approval in order to make the coins eligible for bids from CAC. Therefore, I don't see how the changes you predict would have much, if any negative impact on CAC. In fact, if huge quantities of PCGS coins were resubmitted to PCGS under a new grading system, that would probably be great for CAC.
  • Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    -millions of coins will "need" to be re-graded and that's especially good for PCGS now that the economy and hence submissions are less than optimal.

This I predicted in the original thread.image
  • Options
    "They did it on Sportscards when they introduced half point grading a few years ago"

Wow, I didn't know that. That info helps a lot. OK, my first prediction is super likely to happen as opposed to the second.

David Hall is one smart dude. PCGS already did this with cards because it was smart intrinsically but also to see what happens to help them predict the outcome of split or decimal grading in the coin realm. Split grading is the way to go. Hopefully they will abandon this less than desirable "consensus grading" and adopt blind weighted average grading.
  • Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that a grading system with decimals is not where they will go. Nor will they have a +- sign to indicate quality within a grade. It would only complicate things from a grading perspective but in particular from a pricing aspect.

I agree with RYK that the announcement should be something bigger and not a reaction to the market forces.

• Options

<< <i>Coming up with an improved methodology of grading in 2010 isn't an admission that their previous grading system was negligently designed or implemented. They're just improving something that was an improvement to the marketplace in 1987. >>

If grading was a science I would agree (improvement is always positive). Grading isn't though and thus any declarations of enhancement is also an admittance PCGS didn't get it right the first time.

As that is not accurate and doesn't serve the best interest of the company or the customers, that won't be the announcement.

peacockcoins

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There will 33 ms/pf grades instead of 11. The grading of circulated coins will remain the same.
    And, I predict that if that isn't what they're going to announce, then they will soon announce that they will soon start some form of limited decimal grading like adding 65.1, 65.2, 65.3, 65.4, 65.5, 65.6, 65.7, 65.8, 65.9., etc., to the grading scale.

based on the discussions of a few years ago pertaining to the "100 point grading scale" it would be illogical for them to do what you propose. consider the + and - additions you mentioned; that would add 22 points to a 70 point scale and bring us to 92(in reality we'd be talking about 31 points because we already have MS/PR60- which is AU and there's no such thing as MS/PR70+ or better than perfect). grading from MS/PR60 through MS/PR70 by a factor of .2 would add 30 points and leave us at the more sensible and logical 100 point scale.
  • Options

<< <i>"They did it on Sportscards when they introduced half point grading a few years ago"

Wow, I didn't know that. That info helps a lot. OK, my first prediction is super likely to happen as opposed to the second.

David Hall is one smart dude. PCGS already did this with cards because it was smart intrinsically but also to see what happens to help them predict the outcome of split or decimal grading in the coin realm. Split grading is the way to go. Hopefully they will abandon this less than desirable "consensus grading" and adopt blind weighted average grading. >>

For what it's worth. The PSA announcement. MJ
  • Options
    The PCGS announcement is aimed and tailored at pleasing it's customer base or at least improving the hobby.

You prediction does neither.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Coinguy, if PCGS goes to blind weighted average with decimals or -/+ grading, my prediction is that CAC is dead.

If PCGS stays with consensus grading but adds decimals or -/+ grading, CAC could limp along.

Under either scenario, CAC will get hurt.

My fourth prediction is that CAC will be bought by PCGS and continue to exist within PCGS. Much like AMG and Mercedes. AMG used to be a company unrelated to Mercedes. People would buy a Mercedes then ship it to AMG to have it souped up.

After PCGS merges with CAC, you can send your coins in and if you want them to possibly get a sticker, you can at the time of submission, ask for CAC approval. No longer will people have to mail coins to PCGS then wait to get them to send them to CAC. You just send your coin to PCGS and either ask for CAC consideration at that time or don't.

(I'm getting ready to go skiing but will be back later today.)

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    If they switch to the plus and minus system:

Why submit coins for regrade, if you think they barely make the grade? It would be worse to have the minus on the label.

Why submit coins for regrade, if you think they are only average for the grade?

Looks to me like PCGS would simply be putting plus signs on coins that CAC would sticker, for a lot less money. I don't believe this is the Big One.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Just my two cents, but decimal grading or micro-grading is a complete and utter waste of time. In another 20 years will we "need" 65.55 or 63.78? How many decimal points will be eventually used? A line has to be drawn somewhere and we've done just fine with whole numbers for quite awhile.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Decimal grading! Great idea! Read more about it Here image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PCGS announcement is aimed and tailored at pleasing it's customer base or at least improving the hobby.
    You prediction does neither.

why wouldn't it??
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't see how PCGS could introduce a new and improved method to grading without at the same time then declaring inadaquate grading up to this point. >>

Indeed
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unfortunately I am in the United States right now, Colorado to be exact. >>

Good to have you back Adrian, on the forum and in the U.S. image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

+ and - is not an admission of inadequate grading.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    David Hall said there are 3 announcements: one took 2 years, one took 6 months, and one took 2 months. Your ideas are good but do you think this would take 2 years and many people working on it to accomplish? This sounds more like the 2 month effort.

A few years back CU bought Gemprint which "fingerprinted" gems by using a laser and looking at the light dispersion. Can't that be adapted to coins so each coin gets a unique fingerprint? Sounds more like a 2 year effort to me.

Gemprint: how it works
    Gemprint diagram
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a horrible idea and benefits no one but PCGS.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Adrian. Cool to see you posting.
    Larry

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My fourth prediction is that CAC will be bought by PCGS and continue to exist within PCGS. >>

Won't happen. CAC supposedly has open offers on the dealer market for CAC coins. This is supposedly how they become "market makers". It is their form of guarantee. This would create a huge conflict of interest within PCGS. If it were to happen, then CAC should not be buying coins but this ends the need for the sticker.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    The only problem I see is, I'm pretty sure these guesses were mentioned or similar guesses were mentioned in HRHall's announcement thread and he said no one was even close to guessing it right.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is a horrible idea and benefits no one but PCGS. >>

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The X-, X and X+ idea does not mean that PCGS has been grading incorrectly. It merely will be a
    response to consumer demand for grades to reflect a more precise gradation between grades. I
    am sure that such a move, if enacted will rapidly change values of coins. Down on X- and up on X+.
    It would be an interesting time. Of course, all of us very sharp Forum Members will have our coins
    get the new designation which will of course all be X+ on the new label.

However, I would still like to see a diamond shape on the X+ Coins. I thing" PCGS Diamonds", will become
    the most desirable coins of the future.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread. I've thought all along something like your decimal idea would be implemented, but not with as many increments in any given grade of unc. It would be impossible for the graders to split the grades into tenths with any kind of consistency. Possibly two or three designations within any given grade of unc., but that's about it.

From a business standpoint it benefits PCGS tremendously with all the re-submissions. From the standpoint of the collector and the hobby I think it is terrible if something like requiring a re-grade on all coins already certified were implemented. Some words like exploitation come to mind, as well as some I can't mention here, and Hall is a smart cookie, the backlash would be bad and he knows that.

As far as your postscript, there are some mighty big ego's involved, I'm really not exactly sure how a buyout of CAC could actually occur. And if it were, with some of the principals of CAC being either bought out or absorbed into the PCGS empire, it would sure seem like a sellout on their part, having abandoned all the quality NGC material to do PCGS exclusively. Again, not a plus for the hobby. Or for their reputations. Can't see that happening either.

All just MHO of course...

John

Edited to add, requiring a regrade won't happen of course. Bad choice of words. But there will be plenty of submissions under such a scheme to upgrade.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything to wipe out terms like "liner and slider" in order to precisely identify condition is fine by me.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how anyone gets from "decimal grading will be offered" to "requiring a re-grade on ALL previously graded coins"

Don't like a new feature? (if, for example, it's decimal grading) then don't use it; the coins will still trade. Want to try to "lock in" a fraction of a point? Have at it!

• Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure how anyone gets from "decimal grading will be offered" to "requiring a re-grade on ALL previously graded coins"

Don't like a new feature? (if, for example, it's decimal grading) then don't use it; the coins will still trade. Want to try to "lock in" a fraction of a point? Have at it! >>

You're right... requiring was the wrong term. But be assured there will be plenty of new submissions on already graded coins to try and get the next bump up the ladder if that's what happens. In that scenario, wonder if the option to leave the coin in the original holder would be offered if the coin came back on the lower end of the scale?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That would be disappointing (if that's all it is). I expect the Big One to be proactive, new, and exciting, not reactive. >>

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey, Decimal grading! Great idea! Read more about it Here image >>

Did anyone notice in 2003 Adrian responded to this thread on decimal grading and used the words "David Hall and the next big chapter in coins?"

--Jerry
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    when you hear frequent stories of the same coin coming back a 64 one day, a 65 the next, then a 66 another... I'm not sure there would be any real value to any +/- or decimalization of the current grading scale. I mean if it's not an exact enough science to get to the same whole number each time, why try to be more exact?
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think PCGS will soon announce that they will soon start grading coins with either a plus sign to indicate premium quality or a negative sign to indicate low end for the grade or with nothing to indicate average for the grade. There will be 65-, 65 and 65+, etc. There will 33 ms/pf grades instead of 11. The grading of circulated coins will remain the same.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The use of a + sign for PQ coins would be OK but to use a negative sign would in effect create a whole group of unsaleable coins. PCGS would be CRAZY to do this!!! image

Likewise the use of decimal points,,,,,, 65.1, 65.2, 65.3, 65.4, 65.5, 65.6, 65.7, 65.8, 65.9 would be another BIG mistake. image

We all know that grading is not accurate enough to be 100% reliable between a 1 point grade let alone throw in 10 more 0.1 grades in between. For the TOP TPG company to do this would surely cause them to lose ALOT of respect and credibility within the Coin Collecting World.

The day we go to + / - signs and 65.1 - 65.9 grading is the day I start selling out!!!! imageimageimageimage

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    I don't know about 2 point swings (I imagine they're rare; one seldom hears about 2 or more point changes between PCGS gradings)

However, one could rationally argue that ONE point swings between subsequent gradings happen precisely BECAUSE THE COIN GRADES IN BETWEEN the two grades

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know about 2 point swings (I imagine they're rare; one seldom hears about 2 or more point changes between PCGS gradings)

However, one could rationally argue that ONE point swings between subsequent gradings happen precisely BECAUSE THE COIN GRADES IN BETWEEN the two grades >>

Fair enough, but I've heard accounts of 5 point swings (in the mid to high MS grades) between PCGS gradings... just sayin'
  • Options
    IMHO this is not the "BIG ONE" because this would not take 2 years to put together. The "BIG ONE" is computer grading, because it has taken two years to create the .dtm files for comparison.image
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure a grading announcement puts CAC out, I care more about their 2nd opinion on doctoring than grading. If the laser grading system improves their record against docs, that might have more of an effect.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Regrade swings between 58 and low 60's (60-63) are fairly common. Decimals or +/- will not help with this.

Implementing the +/- system would not affect business at CAC, either folks want the second opinion or they don't, regardless of how many points are used. PCGS buying CAC would also trump this benefit.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish they would speed up all grading to less than 1 week for all coins. You guys are way smarter than me image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think there will be plus grading by PCGS as well but not so sure about minus grades.

I also think that CAC may be pleased with this move by PCGS. It will have no affect on them whatsoever.

But this is not about CAC. This will be an interesting step by PCGS.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file