Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Any guesses about the Big One?

PCGS has put on their site plans of announcing "the next big thing" during the first day of the ANA Money Show in Fort Worth. PCGS' David Hall is becoming a bit like Apple's Steve Jobs, almost purposefully seeding us with tantalizing tidbits, encouraging rumor and speculation. So, here's some of my guesses as to what this "next big thing" could be:

1. Details grading of coins with problem surface conditions: Over the past year, many of us have gotten to know the phrase "Genuine Not Gradable" from PCGS. PCGS right now is the only major grading service that isn't offering it. ANACS and ICG offered it first, but NGC held out and referred problem coins instead to their partner NCS. Recently, NGC has gone to offering details grading. Given that they're the only other first-tier-rated company, that right now leaves PCGS making the last stand against details grading.

2. Coinfacts Lite: They spent ten years revamping Coinfacts, and from the way they're advertising it, thinking about other ten-year-long projects, you'd think it were the Avatar program. But, like the 3D spectacle, it doesn't come cheap, and it is now accessable only to those willing to pay a subscription fee. (Thankfully, it's to PCGS themselves, not through a two-year contract with AT&T.) The news blurb describes some sort of "consumer protection"--could this be a more limited database, such as a site that focuses on counterfeit detection?

3. Network-enabled coin holders: It could happen. Why, I'm not sure, but it could. More seriously, RIFD chips could make tracking holdered coins easier. Survivalist nuts will almost certainly cry government conspiracy, but thieves would have one more hurtle to overcome. Let's just hope that NGC doesn't come up with the same idea and the two coin holder networks merge to form a hostile super-intelligence that takes over the world.

4. Touch-screen holders: Because the current click-wheel design is so yesterday...

Any other guesses?
Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally wish they (PCGS) would just start reconigzing all the varieties from the books on each series. And make coinfacts free to all Platium members.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>PCGS has put on their site plans of announcing "the next big thing" during the first day of the ANA Money Show in Fort Worth. PCGS' David Hall is becoming a bit like Apple's Steve Jobs, almost purposefully seeding us with tantalizing tidbits, encouraging rumor and speculation. So, here's some of my guesses as to what this "next big thing" could be:

1. Details grading of coins with problem surface conditions: Over the past year, many of us have gotten to know the phrase "Genuine Not Gradable" from PCGS. PCGS right now is the only major grading service that isn't offering it. ANACS and ICG offered it first, but NGC held out and referred problem coins instead to their partner NCS. Recently, NGC has gone to offering details grading. Given that they're the only other first-tier-rated company, that right now leaves PCGS making the last stand against details grading.

2. Coinfacts Lite: They spent ten years revamping Coinfacts, and from the way they're advertising it, thinking about other ten-year-long projects, you'd think it were the Avatar program. But, like the 3D spectacle, it doesn't come cheap, and it is now accessable only to those willing to pay a subscription fee. (Thankfully, it's to PCGS themselves, not through a two-year contract with AT&T.) The news blurb describes some sort of "consumer protection"--could this be a more limited database, such as a site that focuses on counterfeit detection?

3. Network-enabled coin holders: It could happen. Why, I'm not sure, but it could. More seriously, RIFD chips could make tracking holdered coins easier. Survivalist nuts will almost certainly cry government conspiracy, but thieves would have one more hurtle to overcome. Let's just hope that NGC doesn't come up with the same idea and the two coin holder networks merge to form a hostile super-intelligence that takes over the world.

4. Touch-screen holders: Because the current click-wheel design is so yesterday...

Any other guesses? >>

I am of the opinion that if it is any of the above, it would be a huge letdown, considering the statements that David Hall has made. Ditto for most of the other guesses I have seen posted on the U.S. Coin Forum.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

PCGS will make lots of money on "The Big One". This is a guarantee.

Stewart
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS will make lots of money on "The Big One". This is a guarantee.

Stewart >>

Agreed.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

I hope not, I see too many problem coins offered at the full value of a non-problem coin based on the "details" grade. I miss the ANACS net grading.

Not a big one in my book.

Already ruled-out by HRH.

Ahh...I'll just say no.

For more guesses go to the HRH original thread (I'm guessing they're going to become the official grading service for the ANA again).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS will make lots of money on "The Big One". This is a guarantee.

Stewart >>

Hmm, maybe guarantee insurance.
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    Whatever "The big one" turns out to be, I agree with Stewart, it will financially benefit PCGS. So many guesses on the other thread are things that certain people want that PCGS will never do; you have to try to think like an enterprising company would think. It needs to be something innovative, something that PCGS can make a profit on, and not interfere with their current business plan. I have racked my brains trying to think of what this could be, but the sheer magnitude of the impact of the prediction leaves me grabbing at ideas.

One thing for sure, it won't be that long and we'll get the announcement. Then the mystery will be solved.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll add that we should all be happy in the event that PCGS makes lots of money. This would only empower them to meet the collector needs more fully.
  • Options
    I still can't help but think of Apple's Steve Jobs giving keynote speeches with slideshow presentations. Note that I'm posting this comment even now on an iPod Touch.

I think all of you are right about it being intended as a money maker. And, I also agree that that does not neccessarily make it a bad thing.
    Improperly Cleaned, Our passion for numismatics is Genuine! Now featuring correct spelling.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

PCGS will make an announcement that CAC will no longer sticker copper coins.

PCGS will also make an announcement that PCGS graded copper coins are the MOST VALUABLE copper coins on the market.

Stewart
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    See the larger thread under "US Coin Forum"

I really like the proposal of one ldhair talking about a "PCGS University" or as I prefer "Collector's University."

This would be a way for PCGS to educate and for collectors to learn a lot about coins, and learn from experts. I could envision all sorts of classes and even earn a degree. I think PCGS has the resources and could charge collectors to come and learn about coins, their grading, and how to detect counterfeit coins, among other possibilities.

Some of this could be on-site and some virtual. Obviously, some of the course work would have to be in person.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Anyone know the schedule as to when the announcement will be made or where?

LINK

Corporate and Title sponsors receive a variety of benefits, which include having their names and logos on bags for the show¡¯s projected 5,000 visitors, and on the welcome banner at the bourse entrance, as well as free advertising in the convention program. All primary sponsors receive free or discounted convention program advertising, recognition on signage and sponsor ribbons for their staffs, plus other benefits.

Corporate Sponsors
    ¡öHeritage Auction Galleries
    ¡öNumismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC)

Title Sponsor
    ¡öLegend Numismatics

Primary Sponsors
    ¡öAmerican Heritage Minting ¡ª The Meeting Place
    ¡öAngel Dees Coins & Collectables ¡ª Boy Scout and Girl Scout clinics
    ¡öCollateral Finance Corporation (CFC) ¡ª "Internet Perks" cafe
    ¡öDillon Gage ¡ª Texas-sized kick-off barbecue
    ¡öMain Line Coin and Numismatic Financial Corporation, Inc. ¡ª Wristbands
    ¡öMarc One Numismatics ¡ª Treasure Trivia ¡¤ Park Avenue Numismatics ¡ª Registration drawing
    ¡öU.S. Coins ¡ª Message Center
    ¡öYellow River Rare Coins ¡ª Bourse map
    ¡öSilver Towne ¡ª Dealer after-party

For more information on future convention sponsorship or other marketing opportunities with the ANA, call 719-482-9847 or e-mail sponsorship@money.org.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 900 of them over on the US coin forum.
  • Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    PCGS is buying out NGC? That would certtainly be big news.

or PCGS online auctions?

or gradient grade levels say - MS66.5 instead of MS66 or maybee a new scale 1-100?
  • Options
    I felt it would involve CAC- I feel though that if it did then someone would have inside knowledge and it would have already linked- Maybe PCGS is going to become the exclusive grader for Heritage auctions?

PCGS is going to absorb ANACS or ICG? Coin Facts is complete? Who knows
  • Options
    It sounds revolutionary. I hope it ends coin doctoring.
  • Options
    I have wondered about higher education and degrees. As far as I know, there's no Masters Degree in Numismatics anywhere. Heritage's weekly emails sometimes includes mention of need for a numismatic expert, but right now to be one, one needs experience and references--one becomes an expert not by going to class but by being out there in the world. Come to think of it, that there is no "degree in numismatics" may be a blessing, and we should wish that more fields were that way.