Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

World Coin Forum "Coin Of The Year" Competition!

Not official and no prizes will be given. Just for some fun really.

Laurent's idea, and I agree it would be nice to share some of our coin purchases made in the past year.

Maximum entries per person is two.

If would like to enter, just post a picture of a coin which you have purchased since April 2009 and please include a brief description below it.

Entries will be accepted until the end of March. After that and during April, depending on how many entries we get I will set up a poll or stages of polls whereby members will be able to vote for their favourite coin/s. Last coin standing with the most votes by the end of closing time (30th April 10pm GMT) will win the coveted World Coin Forum COTY title as chosen by its members!

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I like it!image

You might want to stipulate one coin should have a ceiling price, say $100-$200, otherwise
    modest collectors like myself are in a lot of trouble.image

The other coin can be any price.
    Then you have 2 classes to compete in.

Gonna have to give the choice of coins some thought-a lot depends on the image too...
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Okay sounds fair. In theory the value shouldn't matter as people will hopefully only be voting on the design, history, style of the coin etc.
    but in practice you have a point.

Perhaps a "Below $200 coin of the year award"

and a

no limit "Overall coin of the year award"

and all members are allowed to enter one coin per category?

What does everyone else think?

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a limited class and an unlimited class.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I like the idea and already know what my UNDER coin will be image

we're talking just 2009 right? cooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Should we submit the coins "blindly" and then post in batch so people can't see the progression of coins? or just dump them in as posted?
  • Options
    we're talking just 2009 right
    Yes specifically since April last year. If it turns out to be any good we could run one every year around April.

Just dump them into this thread and I'll start new threads with polls when the time comes, so that members can click on and vote once for the coin they like the most in each thread. You will also be able to see how many votes each coin has etc.

• Options
    First Entry, in the under $200 category (heck, under $30 category).

This immediately has become a personal favorite of mine, purchased 7/2006 from a fellow board member!!!

• Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    A decidedly unattractive restrike halfpenny in aluminium by W J Taylor (Peck type R24). At the time these late restrikes were made aluminium was a precious metal having only become commercially available a few years before. This particular coin is one of the 3 die combinations not noted by Peck (R24, R27 & R28) in this group. The R28 was in the Nicholson collection, this appeared on ebay and I'm confident the R27 will one day make an entrance. A few of these various types are only known in a similar corroded condition implying they were in the same collection at the time they were damaged. This is for the cheap section in case it isn't obvious.

• Options
    For the more expensive section, this "Godless Florin" pattern which was one of the trials proposed for decimalisation in the 1840's. The One Dime reverse is the only legend that doesn't occur as a double reverse pairing. Examination of the legend shows the word DIME to be recut over the word FLORIN which has clearly been filled prior to reworking the die. This therefore must be the reason why only the other legends are known as double reverses and implies that the series wasn't produced in sets comprising all known types of obverse, reverse and legend as has been suggested in the past.
  • Options
    This is a cool idea! Just so I'm clear, any coin bought from April '09 to Dec. '09? Or is it until March 2010?

Here's my entry for the unlimited class. (purchased in mid-2009)

I guess you all probably knew this one was coming -

1755 France (Lyon) silver jeton, with a depiction from the story Jason and the Argonauts, showing the ship of the Argonauts aproaching a dragon who is guarding the golden fleece. This was my first serious purchase in this area, and still my favorite by far.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two of my favorites:

1682 Salzburg, Max Gandolph Graf Kuenburg (1648-1687) Commemorative Taler. 1100 Year of the Bishopric State Commemorative NGC MS-63. Amazing what they could do with a planchet.

1887 Geneva Federal Shooting Festival. I simply love this design and rainbow toning.

• Options
    This is my under coin.

It's modern but portrays an iconic figure that represents a design virtually unchanged for over 100 years.

It's also the nicest toned example I've seen which is why I call this the ultimate sower.
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    For consideration in the unlimited class:

imageimage
    Netherlands - Gorinchem.
    Rose Noble ND (1583-91).
    NGC MS-62
    A very rare coin in the truest sense in both quantity (est. <10 known) and condition (From my research, I've seen photos of 6, the finest known) - Delmonte 825bis @ rarity scale -R4 (highest rating)
    It's also a large gold coin = 36mm
    Acquired in October 2009
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    My entry for the under $200 cat. 1893 Ceylon 10c in NGC 66. This one cost all of $65 last summer, it's the only 66 graded for any date prior to 1946.

For the over group I like my 1804 Bank of England Dollar (5 Shillings) in PCGS PF63 Bronzed Copper purchased at NYINC this year.

• Options
    For consideration in the unlimited class:

imageimage

1603-25 James I
    mm Tower 1612-13
    Second Coinage 1604-19 [ungraded but as struck with full untouched flan]
    Spur Ryal was an English gold coin introduced during the reign of King James I.
    The coin named Ship Ryal, Spur Ryal of fifteen shillings.
    The King holding sword and shied standing in ship with rose on side.
    IACOBVS D G MAG BRIT FRAN ET HIB REX
    rev., a rose on spur rowel in centre of Royal cross
    A DNO FACTVM EST ISTVD ET EST MIRABILE
    The obverse side of the first coin featured the King standing in a ship
    with a sword and shield in his hands.
    The words engraved meant
    “James by the grace of God King of Great Britain France and Ireland”.
    The reverse side holds the image of a rose over a radiant star resembling a spur,
    along with a lion and crown.

These were surrounded by the words with the meaning
    “This is the Lord’s doing and it is marvellous”.

After the accesion of James VI of Scotland to the English throne
    the royal titles and coat of arms are altered on the coinage.

www.petitioncrown.com

The obverse side of the coin featured the King standing in a ship
    with a sword and shield in his hands excluding the ledgend.
    The reverse showing the detail with the ledgend.
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For consideration in the unlimited class:
    imageimage
    1603-25 James I >>

• Options
    All of a sudden I dont have the energy to post a plus+ coin image

I reserve my vote til I see somemo' image keep 'em coming! it's a heavyweight battle!
  • Options
    What glory and splendor
    doth the engraver render
    on what was a blank planchet!

Very reluctant am I
    to post the apple of my eye,
    an act I would soon regret.

To compare my choices
    to these thoroughbred horses
    is a deed I hesitate to abet.image
  • Options

<< <i>image

imageimage
    1603-25 James I >>

>>

I've just spent a very pleasant couple of hours over lunch with the owner of said coin even if it was at the airport hotel.
  • Options
    For the over group I like my 1804 Bank of England Dollar (5 Shillings) in PCGS PF63 Bronzed Copper purchased at NYINC this year.

image >>

Is this a thick flan ESC 167? I presume so because of the undulation in the field behind Britannia as my example (Norweb 553) also shows this effect. I believe these coins with the aforementioned ridge are restrikes by Taylor from dies acquired at the Soho Mint sale and subsequently polished to remove rust as the normal 1804 silver pieces do not show this. Taylor unquestionably acquired the 1804 dies in 1850.
  • Options
    Hi Rob

u must have a batmobile that flies image

great seeing u - pleased u like dear uncles James

SwK
    www.petitioncrown.com
    A collection uploaded on www.petitioncrown.com is a fifty- year love affair with beautiful British coins, medals and Roman brass
  • Options
    Great coins so far guys. Keep em coming.

This is a cool idea! Just so I'm clear, any coin bought from April '09 to Dec. '09? Or is it until March 2010?

Any coin bought from the start of April 09 up until the last day of March 2010 will be accepted.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Rob, supposed to be ESC 166 the regular flan but with a note of a buckled reverse die. Now to be honest I have not yet researched it to figue out if it is really a 166. This came from Heritage in January, lot info below if you want to look at the larger pics.

Lot
    21796 George III copper Proof Bank of England Dollar 1804,...
    Auction: 2010 January Signature World Coin Auction #3008
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    This will have to be my over coinimage

EDU d'Ore 1422

imageimage

Design:
    OBVERSE: Two shields side by side, bearing the arms of France (left) and England (right). Behind the shields the Virgin Mary on the left, a nimbus around her head and her left hand pointing to a scroll, and the Angel Gabriel on the right, his wings arching above his head, his left hand pointing to the scroll, between them the word “AVE” written upwards on a scroll, surmounted by five sun’s rays. Legend: ♛hEHRICVS: DEI:GRA:FRACORV:Z:AGLIE:REX [Henry by the grace of God, King of France and England] ~ REVERSE: In the middle of the field is a cross calvary. Below is the letter, “h”. To the left is a fleur de lis and to the right a leopard. The whole is within a circle of ten arches with fleur de lis at the angles. Legend: ♛XPC✩VINCIT✩XPC✩REGHAT✩ XPC✩IMPERAT [Christ Overcomes, Christ Reigns, Christ Orders]. The obverse & reverse legends are punctuated by two superimposed beaded rings.
    Mint: Paris
    Mintage: Unknown
    References: Fr. 18 & 301 / Elias 264 /Dy.443 A / C.909
    Specifications: Diameter – 26.0mm
    Weight – 3.480 g. @ 1.000 Gold = .112 oz AGW
    PCGS MS-64

- King Henri VI was the King of England and France during this period, France was in an era of prosperity and economic development; at the same time experiencing an extreme enlightenment of arts, literature and science.
    - The crown in the legends denoted the mint as Paris. In my research the Paris mint is not as commonly found as those from the the Rouen (leopard) and Saint Lo (fleur-de-lis) mints. In total this type gold coin was minted at 9 different mints throughout France.
    - This coin is of the second issue of the salute under Henri VI. It was issued on September 6,1423. This type coin was produced in great quantities and is one of the most common of the Anglo-Gallic issues

My under coin is currently in the mail to me and will be posted when it gets here.
  • Options
    My choice for the over coin is still under but it's a sentimental choice.

This Ecu was minted in the southwest of France in the Provence of Bearn.
    I have family scattered throughout the South of France, cousins, aunts, uncles- the French side goes back to the Huguenot's.

So it's not impossible that at some time in the past 245 years some member of my family held
    this very coin in their hands.

That's good enough for me.image
  • Options

<< <i>Rob, supposed to be ESC 166 the regular flan but with a note of a buckled reverse die. Now to be honest I have not yet researched it to figue out if it is really a 166. This came from Heritage in January, lot info below if you want to look at the larger pics.

Lot
    21796 George III copper Proof Bank of England Dollar 1804,...
    Auction: 2010 January Signature World Coin Auction #3008 >>

Thanks Jeff.
    The images aren't very helpful as you need to view the recut CHK on the truncation from the side to see the various cuts stacked up on each other to differentiate between 166 & 167. Other than that, both our pieces share the same characteristics for worn dies. Weight is the best way to check. My piece weighs 37.33g. If you know the typical weight of a slab plus insert for this size coin it should be possible to establish how thick the flan is. My coin is 4mm thick, inverted die axis and with plain edge - Taylor made very few pieces with edge features, though this doesn't necessarily exclude Soho.
  • Options
    Here's mine. It came back from PCGS as Genuine, though I still believe the toning is natural due to the hot, humid and salty air climate of the Philippines, but maybe I'm just biased. image
  • Options
    Hi Rob the pattern florin group is a remarkable feat of ingenuity - great

swk
    www.petitioncrown.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a few questions-

Can a medal be entered?

Is there any country that is excluded?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>Can a medal be entered? >>

Having already seen jetons and shooters, I would suspect the answer is yes.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Can a medal be entered? >>

Having already seen jetons and shooters, I would suspect the answer is yes. >>

I thought about that after I posted mine.... I figured someone would let me know if I needed to change it. If it's coins only, please let me know and I'll switch it for something else.
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    For my under $200, this NGC MS63 8R is one of my favorites. It has PL luster that lights up the purple toning. A NEN coin from 5/18/2009.

For my over $200, this NGC AU58 Volcano Peso is my favorite. Nice toning and a very cool looking design. A HNAI coin from 5/28/2009.
  • Options
    Medals and coins from any country outwith the US allowed, as they have their own section on this forum.
  • Options
    image I've won a nice under $200 coin on ebay and just bought a very nice (seems to have great eye appeal, even with blurry pictures) from the latest Spink circular thanks to Jeff's post. I just hope they arrive in time.

• Options
    Hussulo, a magnificent assemblage of coins and medals so far.

Gonna be tough to choose!image
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Colorful regular Swiss coins are a common sight, but specimens are practically never toned, they're just black and white.
    Which might explain why this little jewel of 1936 half franc went for 4-5 times its book value at a UBS auction.
    I bought it from Mr Eureka ,it graded PCGS SP67, and it's my entry in the over group.

My choice in the under category was a tough one.
    It has to be this 1910 drachma, one of my all time favourites, and a coin of which I always buy as many nice examples as I can find.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Just arrived today from Spink.

My entry for the over $200 category:

1696 William III Sixpence, first bust, early harp, large crowns (ESC 1533, S. 3520)

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

imageimage
    Netherlands - Gorinchem.
    Rose Noble ND (1583-91).
    NGC MS-62
    A very rare coin in the truest sense in both quantity (est. <10 known) and condition (From my research, I've seen photos of 6, the finest known) - Delmonte 825bis @ rarity scale -R4 (highest rating)
    It's also a large gold coin = 36mm
    Acquired in October 2009 >>

image This one makes me think I should start a 16th c. collection of Monarch nobles. Truly 'olde gold'.

Nice coins everyone. image
  • Options
    Hus, that tanner is "hammered", literally.

Syracusian, a very sweet EA bit. I'll offer you $200....................so I can submit it in the 'under $200' category. image
  • Options
    Syracusian, a very sweet EA bit. I'll offer you $200....................

Oh heck I'll offer more!image
  • Options

<< <i>Syracusian, a very sweet EA bit. I'll offer you $200....................

Oh heck I'll offer more!image >>

I don't see it happening, but if Mac had made me a 20% discount on this farthing ,it would have been elligible and as such my entry in the under category. image

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Syracusian, a very sweet EA bit. I'll offer you $200....................

Oh heck I'll offer more!image >>

I don't see it happening, but if Mac had made me a 20% discount on this farthing ,it would have been elligible and as such my entry in the under category. image

image >>

Ay-yep, they raise 'em smart in Greece. image

OK, I'll grant you a 20% discount from my $2000 retail price, or as Wybrit would say, "The coin's free, but the shipping is $1500+". image
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    My entry for the under $200 Category. PCGS MS-65 1678 Nurnberg Kreuzer

imageimage

• Options
    Over $200 but it may have been bought over a year ago.

If I win I'll backdate the invoice image

No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    Only FIVE days left so get your entry/s in!

• Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Another for my XF Brazilian 960 Reis over struck on something of 8 reale size collection. I am especially happy with this one because it was bought from an online seller whose itty bitty pictures showed that it might have a bit of color, and when it arrived it was simply bursting!

Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are my entries. I have absolutely nothing elligible in the top category, the most I've ever spent for a coin is $50!

Here is my entry. It is scanned, so sorry in advance of the low quality!

Poland 1623 Sigismund III, 3 polker. Purchased October 2009 from Allan G. Berman at CoinFest for the grand sum of...Nine dollars and fifty cents!

Here is my second entry, and the aforementioned $50 coin. I am surprised there was not an ancient category, and I'm further surprised that none were posted!

Rome 156-157 AD Antoninus Pius, denarius. Purchased the same date from Fred B. Shore.
    The obverse is slightly washed out

Lousy reverse picture...sorry!

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    Wow cccnut, nice halfcrown! Here's a florin of the same period and a rarer version of the florin, exclusively made for Cyprus. (off competition, both bought before 2009)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Lovely coins Dimitri.

For my under $200 one that just came in:

1844 Mexico 1/2 Escudo

Does anyone else think that looks like a small S or $ in the field?
  • Options
    I'll throw this one in for my under $200 entry -

France - silver jeton 1767 , City of Nantes

Obverse Description: Arms of Francis Libault, Lord of Beaulieu.
    Reverse Description: Guns of the city of Nantes.