Home Sports Talk
Options

Athlete of the Decade ??

Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
So who was the greatest athlete of the period 2000 to 2009?

1.) Lance
2.) Tiger
3.) M. Phelps
4.) U. Bolt
5.) R. Federer
6.) M. Schumacher
7.) T. Brady

Other
Ed

Comments

• Options
    Thats a horrible list to choose from IMO...

Lance
    I
    guess...
    Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    where is Pujols

he only won the decade triple crown (which was never done before)
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    other...

Apolo Anton Ohno

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kobe Bryant has been a decade long superstar; and if you count his high school career, so has LeBron James.
  • Options

<< <i>So who was the greatest athlete of the period 2000 to 2009?

1.) Lance
    2.) Tiger
    3.) M. Phelps
    4.) U. Bolt
    5.) R. Federer
    6.) M. Schumacher
    7.) T. Brady

Other >>

Without question it is roger federer. Nobody dominated his sport like he did. He passed sampras for the most grand slams in history.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I think Federer and Phelps. They dominated the decade in their sports. Roger won 15 major singles titles in the decade, including all four majors at least once. Six Wimbledons and Five US Opens in that span. He won over 60 singles titles in that span. I can't think of any other athlete so dominant year in and year out. Phelps was just an Olympic beast! 16 medals? And most of those gold. Plus gobs of World Championships and world records. I think the only reason I would rate Fed higher is that his opponents can actually affect the outcome more than Phelps. But either would be a fantastic choice. Tiger dominated golf, but I am still of the prevailing opinion that golfers are not the athletes that these other sports are. Same as NASCAR drivers. Tiger is in great shape and I am sure he is a fine athlete, but if he and Fed were to go head to head in sports other than golf and tennis, I would venture that Fed is in condition that Tiger would not be able to match. So I go...

1. Federer
    2. Phelps
    3. Woods
    4. Armstrong
    5. Serena Williams
    6. Pujols
    7. Lidstrom
    8. Bolt
    9. Cindy Klassen
    10. Kobe
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    if you put phelps in the top 2 then ohno would be in the top 5
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

1.) Lance
    2.) Tiger
    3.) M. Phelps
    4.) U. Bolt
    5.) R. Federer
    6.) M. Schumacher
    7.) T. Brady

Other >>

Without question it is roger federer. Nobody dominated his sport like he did. He passed sampras for the most grand slams in history. >>

Nobody dominate his sport like he did? Not that he would be my pick, but Phelps held his own against most other swimmers, don't you think?
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I thought about Ohno, but in the top 5 is strong. He won 8 Olympic medals, but only 5 of those in 2000-2009. Only 2 of those 5 were Gold. Now, this is no slight to Apolo. He won more than most and he kicked butt in other international competitions. But when I hold him next to Phelps he pales in comparison. And as I started looking at him next to the other athletes in my top ten, he just didn't make the cut. I'd put him somewhere in that 11-15 range, which is still excellent. I did list one skater, Cindy Klassen, who won six medals during that stretch.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kobiashi.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

1.) Lance
    2.) Tiger
    3.) M. Phelps
    4.) U. Bolt
    5.) R. Federer
    6.) M. Schumacher
    7.) T. Brady

Other >>

Without question it is roger federer. Nobody dominated his sport like he did. He passed sampras for the most grand slams in history. >>

Nobody dominate his sport like he did? Not that he would be my pick, but Phelps held his own against most other swimmers, don't you think? >>

Tennis is almost a all-year around sport. While phelps only had to compete in a few competitions.
  • Options

1.) Lance
    2.) Tiger
    3.) M. Phelps
    4.) U. Bolt
    5.) R. Federer
    6.) M. Schumacher
    7.) T. Brady

Other >>

Tiger Woods even in light of his recent mistakes...
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    I say Tiger Woods because he is the best at golf AND womanizing.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    Because you used the word "athlete" it has to be Lance.
    Even if you didn't use the word "athlete" it is still Lance.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The original poster had a solid list and was spot on.

I would probably add Andre Lange to the list for Bob sled. He actually dominated for 2 decades. There are only two possible events to compete in during each Olympics--the 2 man and 4 man. Phelps can compete in up to 8 events. I take nothing away from Phelps, but it is OK to include Andre Lange too even though he has less medals.

Apolo Ohno was great, but not on the same level of dominance like Phelps, Armstrong or Federer.

There might also be too many American athletes on the list. I wonder if any of the foreign ones fell through the cracks because we just aren't exposed to them as much.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee