Home Metal Detecting
Options

Need help identifying!

It's been a long winter here in MN. Finally got out today for a couple of hours. I hunted one of my favorite spots, which is a union civil war camp. I found what looks to be some brass items, two of which are still fastened to a piece of leather. These little brass buttons are approximately 1/2 inch in length. Now these may or may not be civil war related but any help in identifying them would be great.
Thanks
Dave

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears to me to be a decorative harness piece. Not sure of that, but a possibilty. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    dog collar
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of a belt?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with ricko on this one. Musky could be right, too, but if he is, it's a helluvan old dog collar. Definitely 19th century.

It's interesting to see some surviving leather. Must be pretty damp ground for that to have survived? I can recall once when I dug an 1830s button with its full gilt plating on it, and thread still attached to the shank, but it's not very often that I find stuff like that with organic materials like wood or leather surviving.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Could be part of a bridle, halter, or saddle for a horse.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>Could be part of a bridle, halter, or saddle for a horse. >>

Yes. In fact, I suspect that is exactly what it is, just as ricko first suggested.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    It could be almost anything without more evidence, I was thinking trim on a shoe.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Yeah, it could be, but my money's on "horse furniture" of some kind.

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Nah, no self respecting nag would wear that gaudy stuff.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    I dont think I'll ever find out unless I come across a pic of one. Horse decoration does seem the
    most logical. Thanks for your ideas.