Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Finally, a decent Classic Head Large Cent for my 7070!!

I have been looking for a decent one for a while. Usually, they are either corroded, or way out of my price range. I paid $1250 shipped for this one, and it is in a problem free ANACS slab. A few nicks on the obverse, but this coin has a ton of meat on it and the planchet is quite nice in my opinion. This is definitely the key to my XF+ type set, and only 2 coins left to go. What would you grade it at? Any other opinions?

All coins kept in safety deposit box.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is in my opinion the toughest type to find nice for the 7070 and your coin is very meaty and quite attractive!
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    sweet grab. These are hard to find in this condition.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image I like it.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    I think AU-50. Very nice. I have one just about like it.
    My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Super nice and one tough series to find in a collectable condition.

• Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    Nice AU-50 S-194
    Anacs probably said AU 53 or 55.
    ED
  • Options
    AU 50 or 53. Always been a tough series. Nice coin conqrats image
  • Options
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320500328227&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thanks for the comments. Detail wise it certainly does look AU-ish, but it may not have the luster in hand. ANACS gave it an XF-45, which is the probably the reason the seller was only asking $1250 for it. It seems conservatively graded, but after reviewing some heritage auctions, $1250 seems like a reasonable price for a true XF-45, where as AU-50+ seems to go for 2K+. The latest AU-53 S-294 went for $2760!

I have bought from TNFC before and have been pleased, but I have a return policy in case I'm not.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I actually almost bought that one. I was curious to know where it went...now I know. I think you ended up with one sweet coin, for a great price, even if it is a bit "baggy."
  • Options
    NFC if i recall, nice coin. Good buy.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little dark, but like you said, very meaty - I agree with the AU details.
    And like others said, this coin is one of the hardest ones to find decent for a type set if you are on any kind of budget....I went nearly a year with three of them on my want lists - two for my customers, and one for me - and I'm still looking to upgrade the Fine that's in my set.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Nice.
  • Options
    Very nice. You stole it for $1250! I'll offer a nice premium no questions asked. image
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the sharpness of that piece, but sadly it won't grade because of the dark color. I know. This one flunked at the services.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never realized how hard this series was to find (nice) until I wanted one in vf+ or ef for my prime 7070.
    Good grief, that is a tough group of dates.
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the sharpness of that piece, but sadly it won't grade because of the dark color. I know. >>

I tend to agree. The color will probably keep that coin out of a holder. And the obverse is just a little rough. Perhaps who cares? This is one series where a holder doesn't help one way or another, especially with dealers that specialize in these.

And Bill, I'm really surprised that your coin didn't make it. What code did they assign? I've had some luck with classics that looked exactly like yours, and that's the look to go for.
  • Options
    joecopperjoecopper Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭
    I think it was a steal at that price - overall a nice Classic Head
  • Options
    After many years of searching, I added this to my 7070 last spring.
    For $425, I don't think I did too bad. The spot on the rt obv is much less noticeable in hand, and the brown color is more natural and chocolatey than
    the images capture:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Nice coin Walkerguy21D. I think we need to start a new thread after your post. The Best Classic Head Cent for the Lowest Price
    OLDER IS BETTER
  • Options

<< <i>The Best Classic Head Cent for the Lowest Price >>

Then I'll have to post the 1808 that came out of the same deal.....
    It was one of those perfect storm situations where an old time dealer bought an old time collection, used strict EAC net grading standards, and the
    Greysheet to price most of them....I bought a lot of large cents that day image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Johnny, Bill and Greg,

All are great looking Classic Head Large Cents.
    I never seem to find these and years ago I had
    hoped to be able to put an AU date collection
    together, but I never found any ( at least in a
    price range I could have afforded back then ).

A friend gave me a Dansco 7070 and one of these
    days, I will start working on it. Again, Johnny, nice
    pick up. ( & Bill, if you don't like your coin, I do !!!! )

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice .These are very tough to find like that.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the NGC AU55 that I used to own... also had a very dark color to it and it didn't seem to prevent it from being graded.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I love the sharpness of that piece, but sadly it won't grade because of the dark color. I know. >>

I tend to agree. The color will probably keep that coin out of a holder. And the obverse is just a little rough. Perhaps who cares? This is one series where a holder doesn't help one way or another, especially with dealers that specialize in these.

And Bill, I'm really surprised that your coin didn't make it. What code did they assign? I've had some luck with classics that looked exactly like yours, and that's the look to go for. >>

"Artificial color" was their excuse. I am so PO’d at the grading services about that way they treated me with my copper coins, that I cannot not write about the situation politely. I learned to buy the coins in the holder and not bother with having them graded. The coins I bought in the holders to fill the slots in my type set were not as nice as the coins that I had, and they had been played with for sure.

Yet I've seen early silver coins that were cleaned and scrubbed to death that got graded. My batting average with early gold and silver coins was 100%. None of them got body bags despite the fact that a couple of them were not original. But with copper I got the shaft more often than not. Then they over graded my Chain Cent which had a big scratch across the obverse and my Wreath cent which had edge bumps, so go figure.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Look at the bright side - if it's for a 7070 album, who cares about plastic. SLabs don't fit in the album.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa, Momma. That's TOO NICE for a 7070! Not gonna crack it out, are you?

Regardless, in plastic or not, that is the nicest circ CH cent I have seen in a long time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Color and surface quality is so important on these classic heads. This one is in a PCGS VF25 holder but has light brown color and no porosity.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice cent Rays.

K
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Color and surface quality is so important on these classic heads. This one is in a PCGS VF25 holder but has light brown color and no porosity.
    image >>

IMO, this is by far the best classic head posted in this thread.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

And Bill, I'm really surprised that your coin didn't make it. What code did they assign? I've had some luck with classics that looked exactly like yours, and that's the look to go for. >>

"Artificial color" was their excuse. I am so PO’d at the grading services about that way they treated me with my copper coins, that I cannot not write about the situation politely. I learned to buy the coins in the holder and not bother with having them graded. The coins I bought in the holders to fill the slots in my type set were not as nice as the coins that I had, and they had been played with for sure.

Yet I've seen early silver coins that were cleaned and scrubbed to death that got graded. My batting average with early gold and silver coins was 100%. None of them got body bags despite the fact that a couple of them were not original. But with copper I got the shaft more often than not. Then they over graded my Chain Cent which had a big scratch across the obverse and my Wreath cent which had edge bumps, so go figure. >>

Rather than be angry, why not consider that you just don't have as good of a grasp of how PCGS grades copper as you think you do. Said a bit more directly, their standards for silver and copper are quite different -- now we can argue as to if that's right or not, but to try and apply silver (or CuNi or Gold) standards to copper coins is a mistake, IMO. That's not saying you don't know how to grade copper, to the contrary, I get the impression you grade very well, but grading to your own (market acceptable) standard and trying to predict how PCGS will respond are two very different things.

Bottom line (and IMO): For copper, PCGS, is much more lenient with natural problems (as-minted planchet issues, edge bumps), and much less lenient for intentional deception (like the recoloring on your classic head).
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one's from Doug Bird:

imageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Is it just coincidence, or are the preponderance of 'decen't classic head cents dated 1814?
    Maybe they started receiving nicer planchets that year? Just wondering.
  • Options

<< <i>Is it just coincidence, or are the preponderance of 'decen't classic head cents dated 1814?
    Maybe they started receiving nicer planchets that year? Just wondering. >>

It is not a coincidence. My understanding is it is related to two things: First, the planchets did get better in 1814. Second, mint employees were given a great number of these coins (as their pay, IIRC) and they were saved, often in AU/mint state. I'd guess 8 out of 10 nice classic heads are 1814.
  • Options
    p.s. FWIW, here's the example from my type set:

imageimage

PCGS VF-25 (CAC reject)
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is it just coincidence, or are the preponderance of 'decen't classic head cents dated 1814?
    Maybe they started receiving nicer planchets that year? Just wondering. >>

This one is by far my nicest classic head cent, ex Husak: 1812 small date, PCGS AU58:

• Options

<< <i>It is not a coincidence. My understanding is it is related to two things: First, the planchets did get better in 1814. Second, mint employees were given a great number of these coins (as their pay, IIRC) and they were saved, often in AU/mint state. I'd guess 8 out of 10 nice classic heads are 1814. >>

Ira Stein once told me that as the mint closed down in the advance of the somewhat regular Yellow Fever epidemic, Mint employees were actually paid in 1814 cents handed out in big ol' bags.
  • Options
    By the way, MikeInFL... nice backpedaling this morning image I was paying attention to your post revisions as you were writing them this morning, and at first I was thinking, "oh, that MikeInFL guy, there he goes again antagonizing respected board members." Regardless, I can't fault you for what you were and did end up saying. PCGS is definitely harder on intentional deceit than on legitimate damage, especially when it comes to early copper. What's important to realize in this series, and with early copper in general is that as long as the coin has a respectable appearance, whether or not it holders is completely irrelevant. In fact, often times the holder can hurt the resale value, especially with dealers like Tom Reynolds who seems to take great pride in pointing out why PCGS "got it wrong on this one".

I mean, it's kinda like this: Let's say that you have a nice AU slider EAC cent that has some rim damage, and is net graded to 53 by PCGS. The EAC dealers might decline to buy it altogether, pointing out the rim damage, and saying that they wouldn't be able to sell it for what the holder says it's worth. However, another dealer, like a type dealer or one that doesn't really specialize in copper would be willing to pay very well for it, since the detail is really great for the grade, and the rim damage isn't really that troublesome. So in this case, the holder is good for resale value.

Now let's say that you have a really choice EAC 25 cent with no problems whatsoever, and perfect color. It's the same date/variety as above, graded EF40 by our hosts. Sure, EAC guys will realize that this is a premium piece, probably worth more than an EF40 coin in a PC holder, but from their viewpoint, sealed in a holder and unable to see the entire coin, they will balk and offer you less than they know it will be worth when they crack it out, provided there are no hidden surprises. So in this case, the holder is a bad for resale value.

Now, wasn't that clear as mud?
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read that too, somewhere.

Here's a PCGS VF20 I picked up last week from Ira. He sold it for a considerable loss on ebay.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    A decent S-294 for the quickwing....

imageimage

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm really liking this coin:

imageimage
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Nice looking classic heads all! This is an old thread, but I still have her in my 7070, and she is a beaut. image Absolutely no signs of corrosion or environmental damage, though there is not really any visible luster either. It was in an ANACS XF-45 holder problem free,so it would be acceptable by their standards anyways. I think if it had more luster it would make AU since the detail is there, but I think it was correctly graded at XF-45 in my humble opinion.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file