Home Metal Detecting
Options

This should get your blood flowing.

Comments

• Options
    Yowza!.........Yep...my blood is boiling!......Absolutely a great find.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's right on the edge for me as far as my archeology background goes-- It's more of a "are we rich?!" moment than a preserving history moment.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1834 Busted half >>

That IS awesome, though. And very obviously not staged.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Now that did set my blood racing.

Whew!imageimage
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... a heartstopper for sure. Likely a stash before a battle, and not recovered. That is why I cache hunt. Moments like that make all the fruitless times worthwhile. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Damn
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    Spectacular find! Did anyone else cringe when he was poking everything with a knife and yanking the coins out then and there?
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    I echo Ken "DAMN!" To quote Mary "damndamndamn!" Think there's anything even close to that caliber of a find, to be found, in Maine???
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>I echo Ken "DAMN!" To quote Mary "damndamndamn!" Think there's anything even close to that caliber of a find, to be found, in Maine??? >>

That sort of thing can be found almost anywhere. Consider the ways that silver box could have ended up where it was. One way I thought about was it was stolen, hidden, and then the person couldn't find it again.
    There was a time when people mistrusted banks and they didn't want to have money laying around the house so they buried it in a secret place. So if someone did that and never told anyone where it was and that person died the secret went with them. It isn't difficult to imagine that sort of thing went on all over the country and it is still covered with a little bit of dirt just waiting for you to find it.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have sent the whole box, unopened, to NCS and let them document and preserve/document the find. I'm willing to bet they'd certify the collection as part of a find. You'd have much better press, preservation and story that way.

Edit: Then again, I didn't find the box.. I think I'd have a darn near heart attack. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    omg, yes, that does get the blood going and everything else. way cool find image happy hunting all
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    egads image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG! SCORED!image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Wow! image

<< <i>Did anyone else cringe when he was poking everything with a knife and yanking the coins out then and there? >>

Yep! The knife was driving me nuts! Brutal to watch...
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Awesome!!!! I am hoping to get out tomorrow.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS69--I thought the same thing when I saw that knife going back into the container several timesimage
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Spectacular find! Did anyone else cringe when he was poking everything with a knife and yanking the coins out then and there? >>

Yes! Hasn't anyone heard of wood or plastic tools???? How about just rinsing it off with water? Couple of nice knife marks in that lid
    now that it's been dug. Oh my.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    That guy sucks.

Thanks for sharing!

Steve
    Good for you.