Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

RYK's Baltimore Show report, 3/10, What a Long, Strange Trip It's Been

RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
Originally, I was scheduled to travel to Baltimore on Thursday, returning home on Friday. However, about two weeks ago an "R-7" rare opportunity arose to attend the Furthur concert on Wednesday night in Chicago. My terrific wife gave me the green light to do both, so long as I would be back to catch my son's school play on Thursday night. Done deal.

So Wednesday I trucked up to Chicago to see this Grateful Dead splinter group, featuring ageless Phil Lesh and rapidly aging Bob Weir. It was a great show and great time. The details of the show can be obtained from one of many Deadhead sites, but the first set was one of the best I and many others have ever heard.

So Thursday, it was Truckin' back home for the school play and then an early morning flight to Baltimore to meet Longacre and attend the coin show. Now, the meeting between myself and Longacre was the most hyped numismatic news since The Big One. For me, it was as good as billed. In addition to the dialogue on the forum, Longacre and I have shared several thousand PMs, as well as conventional email and phone conversations over the years. While this was the first in-person meeting, it was a lot more like seeing an old friend again.

We met at Julian's table, and he had the honor of taking the first (of several) photos. We then headed to the CRO table, where the Official photo (published first on Twitter and later here). I also had some business with the CRO boys, picking up two recent purchases, and consigning another coin. Both coins were at least as pleasing as the Goodman images suggested.

After this, we browsed the bourse, met with multiple dealers and fellow collectors, had a private lunch (not at a hamburger joint), and generally had a good time. There was a tense moment when Legend/Laura accosted poor Longacre. Of course, as most of us know, her bark is worse than her bite, and by the end of the show she was hugging (or choking, you decide, see photo below) lovable Longacre.

Despite what others have said, I thought that there was significant dealer interest in fresh, attractive, scarce, original properly-graded coins. Dealers were friendly to me (including those I have never met before). I have said before that those collectors who have a tough time with dealers at shows must be laying down a negative vibe. I cannot recall ever (at any show) being treated poorly or not getting the attention I wished to have.

As for a market report, I saw very few coins of interest on the bourse (and did not bother with the auctions). I was looking for an 1850 $20 and found one so-so piece in NGC AU-55 that I thought was overpriced and not very attractive. I saw very little better date No Motto Liberty $10's. There was an interesting 1924 Saint in a PCGS doily MS-61 holder CAC which caught my attention, more for the labels than the coins. Coins seemed to be trading hands more between dealers than between dealers and collectors, but this is to be expected at this kind of show. Most dealers were upbeat about the show, but not gushing over it. I would give it a B or B+ for activity, A for set-up, C for availability of nice coins, and A for meeting fellow collectors.

Rather than a blow-by-blow narrative, I will provide some highlights of the two days I spent at the show:

1. Visiting with Dahlonega at the Gold Rush Gallery table. It's been over a year, and I missed him very much.

2. Getting a call from Doug Winter (while at the GRG table) urging me to come see him and the dirtiest XF Dahlonega coin he has ever seen, which I immediately purchased (see below).

3. Seeing old forum member EVillageProwler (aka LegendSteve) at the show, hanging out with the Legend gang.

4. Having numerous people compliment and offer to buy my 1799 $5.

5. Schooling some uninformed gold coin dealers on what a proper XF/AU 19th century gold coin should look like.

6. Visiting the slimmed down Coinisaurus at the LACC table, enjoying some healthy snacks, and discussing seated coins, coin books, etc.

7. Having Todd photograph some of my coins, several of which have been in my collection for several years but never before shown in public or posted here. And Charmy is an absolute doll.

8. Meeting some fellow PCGS forum members for the first time. I will not provide a list as I will invariably, accidentally exclude someone and do not want to offend.

9. Meeting with, having show-and-tell with, and dining with collector and lurker member "[undisclosed]". He and I have very similar collecting interests, and it appears he regularly beats me to the draw on coins from CRO and DWN. imageimage

In addition to coins, we have several other common interests, hit it off immediately, and I expect we will be good coin friends going forward. image

10. Meeting with MrEureka and discussing a new, secret collecting theme. image

11. Getting mention in the CRO Road Report. image

12. Newps. Sure, getting some new coins are nice, but do not hold a candle to the social side of the hobby for me.

Is Laura hugging or choking Longacre in the photo?

RYK's Newp (1856-O quarter) gets displayed at the LSCC table, along with Coinosaurus' CC quarters image

Comments

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was great to finally meet you, RYK. I regret having to cut short my meet & greet at the PCGS table to jet back over to Doug's table for a strategy session. The '53-D HE is a real looker. Here's what I walked out with on Saturday... you would be proud.

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    You forgot the highlight of the show... worrying where Larry was at our "group" (if you can call it that image) meeting at high noon!

It was good to finally meet you RYK image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Great report! Sounds like a great time had by all.image
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoyed meeting you- sorry the meeting was alittle brief- I should have brought afew for show and tell

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. I wish I could have spent more time with you guys. Coin shows are too short.
  • Options
    mustanggtmustanggt Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing....image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your Baltimore Show report.
    It was great meeting you, RYK. Thanks for allowing me to view your "box of 20!" image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. Thanks guys!

And have to love those biggie CC quarters.

If Longacre is dressing like that when he goes to Stacks, no wonder he is being shown the way back out as soon as he enters. image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    I'm sorry that I missed meeting you, I really enjoy your posts and wished I could have met you in person, hopefully next time!image
  • Options
    HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the show report, RYK, sounds like you had a great time. Looking forward to viewing the pictures of your coins that have never been shown in public or posted here.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report, sounds like a good time. And, that is one VERY dirty piece of D gold!
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great show report, RYK! It was a pleasure to finally meet you in person, especially after literally thousands of PMs. I had a great time at the show.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great show report, thanks. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    I guess you hogged all the fun and didn't leave any for stinkinlincoln. Nice report, as always, and makes me sad not to attend. But let's cut to the chase: Were there any quality Shield 5c on the floor?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess you hogged all the fun and didn't leave any for stinkinlincoln. >>

imageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Great report. Wish I could have been there. --Jerry
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report, except, where is the talk of your latest modern coin buy? The one you tested last year (which went up 100% for you after you sold it) - that exact coin has now sold 2x more at higher prices each time. Total increase on that coin in past roughly 16 months - 233% !!! We want you to get on board on another one - you know how to pick the winners!!
    Wondercoin

P.S. - I took my 17 year old son to see the Dead last year in LA - an incredible show too!! My son witnessed 50, 60, 70 and even 80 year olds dancing in the ailes (and doing other things as well) !! It changed his perception on the world a bit!!
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great report and I enjoyed the photos very much.
  • Options
    Were there any quality Shield 5c on the floor?

I did not notice a single shield nickel on the floor.

...where is the talk of your latest modern coin buy?

I actually did purchase two modern coins for my secret modern collection. PM sent.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I actually did purchase two modern coins for my secret modern collection. PM sent."

Holy Cow - RYK is now "doubling up" on modern buys!! 2010 is going to be a good year!!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< I guess you hogged all the fun and didn't leave any for stinkinlincoln. >>

image Im very glad you got to have some fun while there, and it sounds like friday maybe a better day for the show huh?

• Options

<< <i><< I guess you hogged all the fun and didn't leave any for stinkinlincoln. >>

image Im very glad you got to have some fun while there, and it sounds like friday maybe a better day for the show huh? >>

Friday is usually a better day, but on Friday, I had to drag Longacre around, so Saturday was better for me. image

Just kidding. I had an equally enjoyable time on Friday as I did on Saturday. In fact, on Saturday I found four coins that I am still considering to purchase by mail.

If you are not having fun at a coin show, as a collector, either you are not doing it right or you are not cut out for coin shows. They are certainly not for everyone, and you can build whatever kind of coin collection you would like without attending one.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you found your soulmate in Longacre. I guess inevitably you're both headed for Massachusetts. When you do I want an invitation too...
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like you found your soulmate in Longacre. I guess inevitably you're both headed for Massachusetts. When you do I want an invitation too... >>

They sure seemed inseparable!

• Options
    MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report RYK. I just got the first hand account of the RYK/Longacre meeting at Baltimore from Charmy. Wow!. She was set up at our local monthly show in Anaheim after a long trip from the east coast. I feel lucky to have been able to see her NEWPS fist, but I'm not going to spill the beans for her. All I'm going to say is very cool stuff and wait for the pics that she will soon post.
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Laura is absolutely strangling Longacre.......its one of her ways of manifesting a term of endearment.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are we certain that it's Laura, not one of Longacre's female stalkers? Where was the security detail??
  • Options

<< <i>Are we certain that it's Laura, not one of Longacre's female stalkers? Where was the security detail?? >>

I was present, and there were at least three other witnesses to the choke-hold. It was most certainly Laura. image

Edit: Once you get to know her, Laura is a good sport and enjoyable to hang around. image
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    Thank you for taking time to write a show report. Love that 53-D.

All of you guys, 'preciate the report writing. It means a lot to those who can't make it out to shows.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give us a clue as to the new collecting theme you discussed with Andy Lustig.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    lunytune2lunytune2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    What is really scary is if you look at the publicity shot of you and Longacre .. you guys could have been brothers .. no kidding intended.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryk- First I must say it was interesting to meet you and longacre in person. Not at all what I had imagined.
    My wife was even more surprised, and even commented about the security surrounding you guys (aka the forum members) at the pcgs table.

Longacre- you get the official "you suck" award from me.... and not because you did something good, but only implanted the idea that I should be buying my wife tiffany items as well. thanks.
    but seriously.

it was great to finally meet red and skimpy

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options

<< <i>What is really scary is if you look at the publicity shot of you and Longacre .. you guys could have been brothers .. no kidding intended. >>

I see what you mean!! image

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Wow, great report. A Further show AND a big coin show in the same week is almost too good to be true.

I certainly echo your comment about the social aspect of shows being the best. That's why I wish I could get to more.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    <<...had a private lunch (not at a hamburger joint), ...>>

So enquiring minds want to know where the feast was held? Any paparazzi?
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i><<...had a private lunch (not at a hamburger joint), ...>>

So enquiring minds want to know where the feast was held? Any paparazzi? >>

No paparazzi, but it felt like the Godfather movie because we were seated next to the door, and RYK asked to move to a table closer to the interior of the restaurant, for security purposes, I imagine. As we departed, I had visions of Paul Castellano coming out of Sparks Steakhouse in NYC. Good thing we made it back to the convention center without incident, though. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been to Sparks- that was about 22 years ago- Is it still there?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK, really good report, and thanks for sharing the details of the rest of your adventures! I especially enjoy hearing about the various dealers and collectors who attended the show. And RYK (and Longacre), it was truly fun meeting you in person and I was honored to have my photo taken with the two of you! (I posted this on another thread, but here it is for those of you who may have missed it!). Allow me to add that it was great meeting/seeing all the many, many forum members who stopped by my table to say hi to Todd and me (well, ok, I know most of you were really there to drop of your coins for Todd to photograph!).

And Moldnut was right, I flew home last night just so I could set up at my local monthly show today - phew, I could sleep for a week! In between all the coins Todd was photographing for the various forum members who dropped off coins at the show, Todd photographed a whole group of newps that I picked up for my personal collection over the past few weeks and Ican't wait to post them. I even found a very unique piece that I first saw and bid on about 10 years ago, and it magically and serendipitously appeared at my table on Saturday as part of a group of coins offered to me. Photos to come......

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options

<< <i>Give us a clue as to the new collecting theme you discussed with Andy Lustig. >>

My only clue is that you would approve. Otherwise, my lips are image

A Further show AND a big coin show in the same week is almost too good to be true.

If only I could have been bar-hopping with Big Ben in between the two, it would have been the perfect long weekend. image
  • Options
    If only I could have been bar-hopping with Big Ben

Big Ben in Big Trouble.......Ouch!!

RYK, surely this is not good for the Steeler family!!!

Go Ravens!! image
  • Options

<< <i>

Go Ravens!! image >>

The Ravens are only six super bowl victories away from being better than the Steelers. PM me when they get there (if the internet still exists)... image
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Great show report RYK! And regardless of Big Ben's troubles I am glad that you have another team to cheer for aside from our hapless St. Louis Ramsimage
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    Since MLC cannot seem to get out a B'more show report, I am bumping my show report from last year. image
  • Options

<< <i>Since MLC cannot seem to get out a B'more show report, I am bumping my show report from last year. image >>

I can't seem to get the report started. I feel compelled to respond to all of your thread posts for some reason...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Since MLC cannot seem to get out a B'more show report, I am bumping my show report from last year. image >>

I can't seem to get the report started. I feel compelled to respond to all of your thread posts for some reason... >>

Is it because I am baiting you and asking you questions? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I can't seem to get the report started. I feel compelled to respond to all of your thread posts for some reason... >>

Is it because I am baiting you and asking you questions? image >>

Hmmm...maybe.
  • Options
    It was only yesterday that we, "The band of seven/eight" met in front of the PCGS booth.
    I still remember holding and viewing your amazing box of 20.....lots of pleasing dirty gold!!!
    Mr. Longacre granted us, the chosen few, an audience of epic numismatic proportion! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file