Options

Record breaking 1909VDB MPL cent news!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Color plays an important part too. I think a beautiful "Christmas Tree"-toned PR6XRB coin is worth as much or more than a PR6XRD. >>

What Rick says here is right on, in many instances I have seen PR R/B and even BN Matte Proofs of same date/grade sell for more more money than their red counter parts. Reds are stunning but some collector's like the beautiful toned look. >>

Brian, that is not a fair statement. You have seen SOME BN and RB coins sell for more than their RD counterparts. By and large, RED dictates the market every time and you can't point to a few Red dogs and gain credibility with your argument. An eye appealing original RD coin in the same grade as an eye appealing RB or BN coin will win every time at auction.

I realize this thread is dominated by RB lovers, and there is nothing wrong with that. I too am a fan of the coin that started this thread. But let's not overlook the entire market which always demands original Red coins. >>

As a non expert on the series - I gotta agree wholeheartedly with this. Seems to me the colored coin being worth more would occur more often in low grades and less often in high grades.
  • Options
    BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Color plays an important part too. I think a beautiful "Christmas Tree"-toned PR6XRB coin is worth as much or more than a PR6XRD. >>

What Rick says here is right on, in many instances I have seen PR R/B and even BN Matte Proofs of same date/grade sell for more more money than their red counter parts. Reds are stunning but some collector's like the beautiful toned look. >>

Brian, that is not a fair statement. You have seen SOME BN and RB coins sell for more than their RD counterparts. By and large, RED dictates the market every time and you can't point to a few Red dogs and gain credibility with your argument. An eye appealing original RD coin in the same grade as an eye appealing RB or BN coin will win every time at auction.

I realize this thread is dominated by RB lovers, and there is nothing wrong with that. I too am a fan of the coin that started this thread. But let's not overlook the entire market which always demands original Red coins. >>

Ok Doug, I will split the difference somewhere between many and some.

From my knowledge of recent prices, I can say in the last couple of years in the categories of RD vs RB for the 1909 VDB here are the numbers. First off, the RB coin mentioned in this post set a alltime record price for any date/grade or color for any MPL cent at $200K+.

I know there are two 67RD's out there that haven't traded for a while and am sure they would give this one a run for the top.

1909 VDB PR66RD vs RB I know of a RB that brought over 100K in 2008 where the highest price for one of these in RD around $69,000 HRCA. I do believe that if a PQ RD came to auction in 2008 it would probably brought over that mark, like 120K or around there.

1909 VDB PR65RD vs RB A RB toner "OGH" sold for over 60K in 2008 and I don't think a RD of that grade has ever broke the 50K mark that I am aware of?

One thing to consider, it seems like most of the REDS sell at auction where the toners go dealer to collector or collector to collector. The truly nice ones don't seem to reach the auctions? Anyway, all the pristine MPL cents out there whether RD or other designations are nice coins that collectors like to own.
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

<< <i>All the pristine MPL cents out there whether RD or other designations are nice coins that collectors like to own. >>

The Bottom Line. image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry Brian. That is just not the truth. Original Red MPL's are the rarest of the rare. Many of the "red" coins that have come through auctions over the last several years have been stripped/dipped etc. and not what I would call original.

Also, more times than not, original Red coins trade privately just like the BN's and RB's you mention. Only two coins out of my set came from auctions - the 1914 PR68RD, and the 1913 PR67RD. The rest were all acquired privately. I would venture to say it's probably the same for Stewart and Gerry. Tom Bender too.
    Doug
  • Options
  • Options
    Sorry Doug, the numbers I posted are the facts, what's not the truth? please show me my errors.

Edited to add: I think that a majority of nicer Red coins have come to auctions recently than their R/B counter parts. Here is a list of R/B and a few BN's that brought strong money that I have sold in the last 2 years that never saw the auction route. Please let me know how many coins you have seen lately that are similiar to these in auctions lately. I would be happy to list the many significant RED dates that have come to auction in the last two years?

1909 VDB NGC PR68 RB 1/0
    1909 VDB PCGS PR65 RB
    1909 VDB PCGS PR65RB "OGH"
    1909 PCGS PR67RB 2/0
    (2)1910 PCGS PR67RB 3/0
    (5) 1911 PCGS PR66RB all tied for finest 20/0
    1912 PCGS PR66RB 10/0
    1913 PCGS PR67RB 4/0
    1914 PCGS PR67RB 3/0
    (2) 1915 PCGS PR67BN 2/0 no RB's graded
    (2)1916 PCGS PR66BN 2/0
    (5) 1916 PCGS PR66RB 14/1
    1916 PCGS PR67RB 1/0

Probably left out a few more

Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    please show me my errors

<< <i>I know of a RB that brought over 100K in 2008 where the highest price for one of these in RD around $69,000 HRCA.

I do believe that if a PQ RD came to auction in 2008 it would probably brought over that mark, like 120K or around there.

1909 VDB PR65RD vs RB A RB toner "OGH" sold for over 60K in 2008 and I don't think a RD of that grade has ever broke the 50K mark that I am aware of? >>

Seems to me that you are jumping back and forth between 'knowing of a price realized' for RB and using Heritage as gospel for RD. And then when you do actually project a market price for RD, it doesn't support your position.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FH SLQ's are King!
    FB MERCS are King!
    FBL FRANKLINS are King!
    FB ROOSIES are King!
    FS JEFFS are King!
    RED LINCOLNS (and other copper coins) are King!
    High grade "MONSTER" toned original coins in the above series are also King!

It's that simple.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

<< <i>FH SLQ's are King!
    FB MERCS are King!
    FBL FRANKLINS are King!
    FB ROOSIES are King!
    FS JEFFS are King!
    RED LINCOLNS (and other copper coins) are King!
    High grade "MONSTER" toned original coins in the above series are also King!

It's that simple.

Wondercoin >>

I will agree with that! What happens to be the collector taste is what's important
  • Options

<< <i>please show me my errors

<< <i>I know of a RB that brought over 100K in 2008 where the highest price for one of these in RD around $69,000 HRCA.

I do believe that if a PQ RD came to auction in 2008 it would probably brought over that mark, like 120K or around there.

1909 VDB PR65RD vs RB A RB toner "OGH" sold for over 60K in 2008 and I don't think a RD of that grade has ever broke the 50K mark that I am aware of? >>

Seems to me that you are jumping back and forth between 'knowing of a price realized' for RB and using Heritage as gospel for RD. And then when you do actually project a market price for RD, it doesn't support your position. >>

Exactly. Plus the fact that there are fewer original Red MPL's that hit the market whether in private sale or auction. Where are your known sale prices for original Red MPL's?

Eagle Eye has the following for sale:

1910 PR66RD $14,500
    1912 PR65RD $12,500
    1915 PR65RD $13,000

Are their any higher known prices for RB or BN coins in the same grade?

Andy has sold most of the high grade Red MPL's he had recently, and at higher prices than RB/BN coins in the same grade, and we haven't even approached the question of "original" yet.
    Doug
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>please show me my errors

Seems to me that you are jumping back and forth between 'knowing of a price realized' for RB and using Heritage as gospel for RD. And then when you do actually project a market price for RD, it doesn't support your position. >>

Exactly. Plus the fact that there are fewer original Red MPL's that hit the market whether in private sale or auction. Where are your known sale prices for original Red MPL's?

Eagle Eye has the following for sale:

1910 PR66RD $14,500
    1912 PR65RD $12,500
    1915 PR65RD $13,000

Are their any higher known prices for RB or BN coins in the same grade?

Andy has sold most of the high grade Red MPL's he had recently, and at higher prices than RB/BN coins in the same grade, and we haven't even approached the question of "original" yet. >>

The coins you listed here have not been sold yet. Shouldn't we write about coins that have been sold? Why didn't you list the 1909 Rick has in PR66RD that "is sold today" for $5,500 and is one of the nicest I have seen in this grade?

Here is Heritage records on 1909 PR66RB/RD last 2 years

Feb-2010 $5,175 PR66 RB PCGS Heritage 2010 February Long Beach, CA Signature US Coin Auction #1137 188
    Feb-2010 $4,830 PR66 RD PCGS Heritage 2010 February Long Beach, CA Signature US Coin Auction #1137 189
    Jan-2010 $4,025 PR66 RD PCGS Heritage 2010 January Orlando, FL FUN US Coin Auction #1136 373
    Sep-2009 $3,795 66 RD PCGS Bowers and Merena Rarities 113
    Feb-2009 $4,888 PR66 RD PCGS Heritage 2009 February Long Beach, CA Signature US Coin Auction #1122 570 Jack Lee Estate Collection
    Jan-2009 $4,888 PR66 RD PCGS Heritage 2009 January Orlando, FL FUN Auction #1121 515
    Dec-2008 $5,750 PR66 RB PCGS Heritage
  • Options

Doug,

We can go back and forth and discuss our positions but not always do RED's bring the most money per grade.

I am signing off on this subject and respect your opinion and I have mine. I will update the boards if any thing new develops concerning this coin.

Brian
  • Options
    Can anyone SERIUOSLY be making the case that properly graded RB's are worth more than properly graded RD's (of the same numerical grade)? image
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing that many off you are missing is the TONING factor. The 1909VDB PR that just sold has outstanding toning that is impossible to quantfy with a number and color grade. It is just a WOW coin.

We've all heard of WOW coins that sell for monster money far and away from what others in the same grade sell for. (TDN as some of these kinds of coins).

Well, this is a WOW coin. The toning is like a christmas tree!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Brian, I could ask why you didn't include the 66 Red that sold in April 2006 for $5,750 too. Ok, so Rick sold the 1909 for $5,500. That kind of makes my point too.

You chose 1909 which is the most plentiful date in 66Red to make your point, which also makes for the least competitive pressure between collectors, therefore keeping prices somewhat subdued. Strictly taking auctions "as they come," your general statement that "in many instances I have seen PR R/B and even BN Matte Proofs of same date/grade sell for more more money than their red counter parts" is just not accurate. Two coins do not make "many." I will agree that 1909 is the date where the prices of RD vs RB/BN are the closest, but pick any other date and the gap really widens. Red coins have consistently sold for more money than their RB/BN counterparts.

Dealers like yourself have been making money from the promotion of toned coins in just about all series for years, and I understand that. However, you just can't make statements like the one you did and expect collectors to agree when it is just not true.

66 RD: (pop 32)

Feb-2010 $4,830 Heritage
    Jan-2010 $4,025 Heritage
    Sep-2009 $3,795 Bowers and Merena
    Feb-2009 $4,888 Heritage
    Jan-2009 $4,888 Heritage
    Jan-2008 $4,888 Heritage
    Aug-2007 $4,255 Bowers and Merena
    Feb-2007 $3,220 Heritage
    Jan-2007 $3,450 Heritage
    Apr-2006 $5,750 Heritage
    Jan-2006 $3,220 Heritage
    Jan-2006 $2,530 Heritage
    Jul-2005 $2,990 Bowers and Merena
    Apr-2005 $2,875 Bowers and Merena
    Feb-2005 $2,459 Heritage
    May-2004 $2,415 Ira & Larry Goldberg
    May-2004 $2,185 Heritage
    Jan-2004 $3,220 Heritage
    Jan-2004 $3,220 Superior Galleries
    Jan-2004 $2,760 Superior Galleries
    Jan-2004 $2,128 Heritage
    May-2003 $3,163 Superior Galleries
    Jan-2003 $2,588 Superior Galleries
    Jan-2003 $2,530 Heritage
    Sep-2002 $2,645 Heritage
    Aug-2002 $2,588 Superior Galleries
    Jan-2002 $2,645 Heritage FUN02

66 RB: (pop 23)

Feb-2010 $5,175 Heritage
    Dec-2008 $5,750 Heritage
    Jul-2005 $1,150 Heritage
    May-2005 $1,265 Ira & Larry Goldberg
    Mar-2005 $1,265 American Numismatic Rarities
    Feb-2005 $920 Heritage
    Sep-2004 $1,380 Superior Galleries
    May-2004 $1,150 Heritage
    May-2003 $1,495 Heritage
    Jun-2002 $1,725 Superior Galleries

BN: (pop 2 - both represented below)

Feb-2007 $1,725 Heritage
    Mar-2004 $3,105 Bowers and Merena
    Doug
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A "wow" coin is the RARE EXCEPTION to the general rule.

"Apples to apples" - Properly graded RD coins are worth more than properly graded RB coins with rare exceptions. Even in the case of the 1909VDB - a properly graded PR68RD might well be worth than a "WOW" PR68RB (although we may never really know unless and until a PR68RD is ever sold).

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I have privately sold only two RED MPLs in the last 18 months that I can recall, and they both were PQ and went well:

PCGS 1910 PR66RD $13,500 (Ex. Blay) It's back on the market now.
    PCGS 1915 PR66RD $20,500 (Resides in fine collection, and Doug, I think that you know and appreciate that coin)

I believe that those Red coins are properly graded, original reds, and sold more than my BN 1910 and 1915 of the same grade. The private '10 and '15 RB sales (my sales) were about even money with the Rds.

Up until the present +/- $200K sale, I think Stewart's PCGS 1914 PR68RD was tops at +/- $135K. Good quality coins, be they RD or RB (or BN) bring good money. How much depends on the market conditions, supply/demand, etc. Toned v. non-toned is a matter of personal collector taste (IMHO).

Right now, a beautifully toned (original, IMO) MPL is the top Lincoln sale. How long it will stay that way before the next leap is anyone's guess.

Duane
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, this is a WOW coin. The toning is like a christmas tree! >>

The Christmas tree should be the name of this one. I had described it using the same name to someone else!!!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

Doug,

I will reply this one last time,

Strictly taking auctions "as they come," I believe you are correct in saying that rarely do RB/BN examples outprice their RD counterparts with same date/grade and holder.

As far as my dealer sales, I will agree with you, and replace the word "many" with some: in "some" instances I have sold MPL cents in RB/BN of the same date/grade/ and holder for more money than their red counter parts. It's not all that common but it has happened.
    RED's do win in the price battle overall. image
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RED's do win in the price battle overall. image >>

I will agree to that statement phrased as such:

RED's do win the price battle overall with all other things being equal. image
  • Options
    ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    originality

That is the keyword whether or not its RD, RB, BN.

Would rather have a nice original RB or BN than a lackluster RD, and vice-versa.
  • Options
    Thank you.
    Doug
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The news is out

If this hits the mainstream media, we'll soon have everyone and their sister asking if their 1909 VDB is worth $200,000. I can see it now.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Congrats once again to Brian, Laura, and all others involved in the sale of the 1909 VDB MPL.

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats once again to Brian, Laura, and all others involved in the sale of the 1909 VDB MPL. >>

and especially, Jonathan.

Steveimage