Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Record breaking 1909VDB MPL cent news!!

Legend Numismatics and Brian Wagner Rare Coins have put together a private treaty sale of this 1909VDB MATTE PROOF LINCOLN CENT graded by NGC as PR68RB* with CAC green sticker. The new proud and happy owner's are the "McCullagh Collection." The coin was sold in excess of $200,000. After checking with other dealer's who handle U.S. small cents, we believe this coin has set a new record price for any "regular issue" U.S. small cent, MS or PR.

I want to thank Laura and George of Legend Numismatics, who were great to work with and for giving me and my client's a chance to purchase this amazing coin!

Brian Wagner (BWRC)

From the JOHN STORY JENKS Collection: 1909 VDB MATTE PROOF
Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.

Comments

• ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    MY GAWD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Ooooo aaaaah. What a pretty MPL.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe it or not, the coin looks much better in person!

For small cents, it is "THE COIN"
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • BWRCBWRC Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭

I failed to mention that this coin originally sat in the famous "John Story Jenks Collection". Maybe someone would like to follow up with more information about this famous collector and his coins?
    Brian Wagner Rare Coins, Specializing in PCGS graded, Shield, Liberty and Buffalo Nickels varieties.
  • LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Congrat's to all involved!!!!!!!!!!

Edited to add:

John Story Jenks sale of 7,300 lots sold over a 10-day period in 1921, garnering a then-incredible sum of $61,379.46.

JSJ #1

JSJ #2
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Awesome coin and congrats on the sale!
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Jonathan!! What an incredible coinimage
  • What would PCGS grade it? image
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880

What an amazing MPL! Congratulations to all involved!
    Every man is a self made man.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very pretty, thanks for posting image
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Lincoln is way over the top....image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

<< <i>What would PCGS grade it? image >>

sounds like we're going to find out... I don't have access to the pop reports, but are there currently any PCGS PR68RBs of any date??

...nevermind, looks like this one has already been regraded PCGS 67RB... very pretty image
  • ChrisRxChrisRx Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Nice!! I'll take two! image
  • robecrobec Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...nevermind, looks like this one has already been regraded PCGS 67RB... very pretty image >>

Where did you find that out?
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for entering me in your giveaway! image
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What would PCGS grade it? image >>

sounds like we're going to find out... I don't have access to the pop reports, but are there currently any PCGS PR68RBs of any date??

...nevermind, looks like this one has already been regraded PCGS 67RB... very pretty image >>

Mike,
    The PCGS pop report for VDB MPL's still shows a total of 104 with the highest graded red/brown as 66RB. The NGC census report still shows a total of 49 with the 2 68RB's still there. My guess is that this coin has NOT yet been crossed, but I would be very interested in what grade PCGS does give it.

Congratulations to Jonathan on aquiring this very special coin and also to Brian and Laura for making it happen.
    Steve image
    sorry, not sure if i did anything wrong but i wanted to see bigger pics of the coin. so I checked out the other photos of it posted on the bluCC website (same link that Brian has in the properties of the photo posted) and there are pics of the same coin there in a PCGS 67RB slab... not sure if it was supposed to be a big secret or not, but if it was then maybe a direct link of the photo from the bluCC website wasn't the best idea.

The OP photo was photo 9, and I just wanted to see if I could see the others and it let me.
  • Very Nice Brian. One of the Best.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick you are right, the coin looks even better in person and could be the most beautiful vdb in existence.
    Doug

Thanks Doug,

As Stewart would say, it's "showdown" time?
  • The coin is legendary (pun intended). Congratulations to Jon and Brian for setting a new bar for the Matte Proof Lincoln series (or any Lincoln Cent, for that matter). Who would have thought a few years ago that an MPL would fetch in excess of $200,000! Well done to everyone involved. image
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the most beautiful MPL I've ever seen. Eye appeal is off the charts. Simply stunning!!!
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that is amazing.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Ummmmmmmm, I.......................... cant even string some words that can say how simply amazing that piece is in every way or shape possible... I think I might cry over its sheer beauty...
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    In hand this coin is 10x better than the picture, and the picture is great. The coin is just that nice. Congrats!
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• TortugaTortuga Posts: 220

I'd have to say that coin is clearly off the charts!! Congrats to whomever has it now.

• So, do I understand this correctly, the coin now sits in a PCGS 67RB holder?
    Very nice looking coin. Would love to see it in hand to see what everyone is writing about. Must be a beauty.

Congrats to the new owner.

Jack

• MarkJudeMarkJude Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Simply amazing! Thanks to all for sharing!

Mark
    I'm here to learn a little something...
    Mark's Mattes
    Mark's Cameo SMS Set
    Mark's Non-Cameo SMS Set
  • PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Great looking coin !

Congrats Brian !!
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Gorgeous coin but I'd rather have an all there PCGS 66RD than a nice 67RB (equal price guide value and higher registry weight not withstanding - i.e. 66RD=69 but 67RB=68).
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    oK gUYS,

I will put my 1909 VDB matte Proof Lincoln cent which is in a PROOF 67 red holder up against any other 1909 VDB Matte Proof Lincoln Cent.

ps My coin resides in an OGH and Electrifies !!

Stewart
  • Oh boy. Brian offers, and Stewart responds.

As Stewart is not one to back off a challenge, it sounds like the die is cast.

How about posting the best obverse and reverse photos of both the RD and RB 1909 VDB MPLs on a new topic link [Entitled “MPL Monster Showdown”] and create a poll for that particular thread. Sound like a reasonable way to hold a competition?

At the end of a pre-determined time period, the coin with the most votes is judged King of the Matte Proof Lincoln Cents. All hail.

This may be the start of the biggest competition link in the history of the PCGS Registry.

Jon-Duane-Stewart-Brian [August 2008]. Who would have thought?

That was during the time period known as MPL Maniaimage

• << <i>That was during the time period known as MPL Maniaimage >>

Good memory for sure. That's a time when the MPLs could be bought for a song image
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I posted in a related thread on the US Coin Forum, I held and viewed this coin, and it is simply and truly incredibly amazing! And as I also posted regarding whether it is NGC 68 or PCGS 67, this coin is one of a kind and extremely unique in its quality and color - "it is what it is" whatever holder it resides in, and no one can dispute that.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Thanks for your nice compliments Charmy about this spectacular and one of a kind coin.
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Can I suggest having the great MPL showdown at the Milwaukee CSNS? I would be glad to be the official judge. image

On a serious note, I can't remember seeing any pictures of Blay's PF67Red, are any out there?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Charmy and Doug - I also was lucky enough to see that coin in-hand, and it was O-R-I-G-I-N-A-L. Coincidentally (pun not intended this time), at that same show in Baltimore (photo above with Stewart and Jonathan) Stewart was displaying his entire copper collection, and being a copper freak, I stared at his RD MPL 1909 VDB for about 20 minutes!

I can tell you it ain't too shabby either, to be very understated image The diagnostics on that coin could be clearly seen from 3 feet away.

If there is a show down on these two coins, all bets are off.

But as this is Jonathan's hour ....

Congratulations Jon and Anne!!! Buddy, when you start a RB collection, you don't fool around image
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    May I ask a maybe stupid question. NGC lists TWO (2) PR68RB 1909VDB MPL's in their current census report. Where is the second example of this coin?

Thanks,
    Steveimage

<< <i>May I ask a maybe stupid question. NGC lists TWO (2) PR68RB 1909VDB MPL's in their current census report. Where is the second example of this coin?

Thanks,
    Steveimage >>

Good question Steve and I believe there is only one specimen out there that was graded.

Its kind of interesting because if you check the Indian Head cent population you will see they show there is 2 coins graded at MS68RD for the 1899 date, when in reality there is only one. Funny it has happened on these two ultra high graded coins?

edited to add: At PCGS including all dates of MSRD Indian Cents only a single 1899 cent has reached this level.
  • renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if I were to only own one coin, that would be the coin. That said, the joys of having many examples are not to be understated.
  • So if a PCGS 67RB (or at least THIS 67RB) is worth $200k does that make a 67RD a $300-400k coin? image

• << <i>So if a PCGS 67RB (or at least THIS 67RB) is worth $200k does that make a 67RD a $300-400k coin? image >>

IMHO that question will be answered someday by the market itself.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Color plays an important part too. I think a beautiful "Christmas Tree"-toned PR6XRB coin is worth as much or more than a PR6XRD.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    I have also seen the coin in hand in Los Angeles at the Legend table. Stunning. My wife even went "OMG Beautiful"........
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Color plays an important part too. I think a beautiful "Christmas Tree"-toned PR6XRB coin is worth as much or more than a PR6XRD. >>

image Absolutely, any day of the week! In 10-20 years, which coin are you going to remember and recognize in a heartbeat - a red coin, or this monster coin?
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

<< <i>Color plays an important part too. I think a beautiful "Christmas Tree"-toned PR6XRB coin is worth as much or more than a PR6XRD. >>

What Rick says here is right on, in many instances I have seen PR R/B and even BN Matte Proofs of same date/grade sell for more more money than their red counter parts. Reds are stunning but some collector's like the beautiful toned look.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

What Rick says here is right on, in many instances I have seen PR R/B and even BN Matte Proofs of same date/grade sell for more more money than their red counter parts. Reds are stunning but some collector's like the beautiful toned look. >>

Brian, that is not a fair statement. You have seen SOME BN and RB coins sell for more than their RD counterparts. By and large, RED dictates the market every time and you can't point to a few Red dogs and gain credibility with your argument. An eye appealing original RD coin in the same grade as an eye appealing RB or BN coin will win every time at auction.

I realize this thread is dominated by RB lovers, and there is nothing wrong with that. I too am a fan of the coin that started this thread. But let's not overlook the entire market which always demands original Red coins.
    Doug