Home Metal Detecting
Options

WOO HOO, only 1800 more trips and she'll pay for herself!

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
Picked up a used Excalibur II for beach and water hunting after viewing many Youtube videos of it in action.

Had a big storm last week which took a lot of sand from the beach. Figured it would be a good opportunity to break 'er in. The only problem is the beach is 125 miles away... one way. BUT, it was worth a shot.

After 5 total hours of driving and totaling 250 miles round trip my score was this:

4 dimes
1 nickel
6 cents (1 wheat)
1 piece of junk jewelry

The coins were slightly older, dimes and nickel were late 60s, and did find a '54-d wheat.

That's right, 51 cents. 10 hours for 51 cents. My visions of silver-galore and gold rings everywhere were shattered! Was worth a shot though and it was nice to get out.

HH

Comments

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    The sea claimed all your treasure, should have gotten there sooner.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
    The storm happened on Thursday I believe and I went on Sunday. Was still probably too long as it gave others plenty of time to get out there before me too.
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    well damn, you had to try, right? image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A valiant effort indeed. A pleasant day as well I would surmise. Do not get discouraged, the good stuff is out there. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always remind myself it's nice to get outdoors--- if I can find sixty cents along the way, hey, bonus. image
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep at it pcgs image. its just a start to a wonderful thing
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Now yer knowin' it's all about the chase, eh laddie?

Like the wise man once said "whatcha gonna do when ya catcher"?image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live near the beach and work 50 yards away from it, and seldom go there detecting. It's been years. I can run up huge swathes of it without a single signal.

You found a Wheatie, which is more than I've ever done on the beach, coinwise, except a 1940 nickel that was probably a recent drop. I did manage to find two gold rings, once.

What made you choose to be a beach hunter, if you live so far away from it?

It was worth a shot. Now use that machine closer to home. Go to lakes and swimming holes with it, if you like. Or use it on dry land, even though I realize it is a fancypants submersible unit.

I'll echo what everybody else said. You just got a reality check, that's all. Stick it in your cap and don't give up yet.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.