Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone know the silver content of these medals?

VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
The auction lists it at one ounce of sterling silver, but I have some here at the shop, and there is no listing as to the metal content.

Click here for the auction

Tim Puro
Puro's Coins and Jewelry
Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my website www.vtcoins.com

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a few of those and if I recall correctly, they were issued by the: American Revolution Bicentennial Commission in San Francisco. (.925 Sterling Silver or in Bronze)
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're definitely sterling.

I sort of thought they were a bit less than an ounce, but that part is easier to check than the fineness anyway.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim,

are they smooth edges with the fineness, etc on the edge?

Just shooting out an idea.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They're definitely sterling.

I sort of thought they were a bit less than an ounce, but that part is easier to check than the fineness anyway. >>

I thought they were sterling, but they do not look like an ounce. I can crack one open to weigh it (but I don't think the plastic holder will be salvageable).

<< <i>are they smooth edges with the fineness, etc on the edge? >>

They do not show weight or fineness on the edge.
    Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my eBay auctions

Buy, sell and trade all coins, US paper money, jewelry, diamonds and anything made of gold, silver or platinum.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    T, all of the 1973-1976 A.R.B. silver medals, including the National Bicentennial medal are 1 troy ounce of .925.
    As mentioned in my PM, many are clueless about ASW of these, and this is evident in the price that some paid in the listing that you linked. Silver spot would have to be around $25 for that price to be realistic. They're not rare and never will be. I offered 17 of them on the BST at actual melt week before last, and nobody bit, so I scrapped them.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're not rare and never will be.

never is a bad word!!! image i don't think they can be melted fast enough by dealers as scrap so there's hope. it might take about 100 years, but there's hope!! i just like them for what they are.

<< <i>They're not rare and never will be.

never is a bad word!!! image i don't think they can be melted fast enough by dealers as scrap so there's hope. it might take about 100 years, but there's hope!! >>

Hope for what? That you will live to be 200? image I don't expect either one of us will be around even for the BIG ONE when the A.R.T.* medals hit the market.

*American Revolution Tricentennial. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

that reminds of Henry Fonda's line from "On Golden Pond" when Ethel says they're middle-aged!!image
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sterling.
    We sell them to local jewelers to make castings from.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    Regarding Keets' NGC PF-69 UCAM multi holder - that would be the expected norm for a grade on these medals. The "airtite" capsules are quite well sealed, and most of these were carefully stored by the original owners. Fortunately, the descriptive paper leaflets that were placed inside the hinged cases were apparently low sulfur content.
    Now Keets, get busy and make a PF-70 UCAM set!

• Yes definitely Sterling Silver (Proof) and approximately 1 ounce (they vary ever so slightly in weight).
    There were 212,542 Sterling Silver pieces struck by the US Mint in Philadelphia. They were originally sold at $15 each.
    There was a series of 4 of these medals struck for the ARBC (American Revolution Bicentennial Commission) from 1973 through 1976.
    They all show the ARBC logo on the obverse of the medal.

The 1973 depicts Patrick Henry & Samuel Adams - 208,120 Struck in Sterling
    The 1974 depicts John Adams - 150,428 Struck in Sterling
    The 1975 depicts Paul Revere - 212,542 Struck in Sterling
    The 1976 depicts Thomas Jefferson - 147,159 Struck in Sterling

They were all packaged in a similar fashion and all originally sold at the same pricing ($15) for the Sterling proofs.
    They were also struck in bronze, in much larger quantities, sold in different packaging types and originally sold in the $3.50 range.

ALL of these are very common in today's marketplace.
    John
    Evergreen, Colorado

cadmanco
    The 1976 National Bicentennial medals were also struck on the same sterling or bronze planchets. Depicting the Statue of Liberty on obverse, issued by the A.R.B. Commission. Upper right in the front image of Keets' holdered set; upper left in the back image.

• VTCoinsVTCoins Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, guys!

Cracking them out and scrapping them today.

Tim Puro
    Puro's Coins and Jewelry
    Rutland, VT

(802)773-3883

Link to my eBay auctions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file