Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 Silver Proof Quarter Die Error

Has anyone else received a 2009 silver proof set with the Northern Mariana Islands Quarter with the die error as shown in the attached file? I did not realize that mine was like this until I removed it from the lens to do my archival scans. It went unnoticed while it was still in the lens (you can tell if you look for it, but might not see it if not looking). There is an arc of raised field at the top of the obverse that I can only explain if the die had struck some object (possibly the reeding collar). The radius or the arc is greater than anything on a quarter, about the same radius as a golden dollar coin. The raised portion of the field still has the mirror finish so the die was not ground off. The reeding is not filled out in the center of the coin in the area of the raised field because the metal that normally would push out into the reeding collar stayed behind in the raised area of the field. The attached diagram shows the coin and my best guess at how it came to exist and details of the physical structure of the error. This coin was in one of my two silver proof sets, both shipped in the first couple days of shipping (one from a subscription order and one from an online order placed in the first hour of availability) one on July 17th and one on July 18th. I have yet to see anyone else speak of this error, but find it hard to believe that only one coin escaped the mint from what is obviously a die caused error. I am sure that the error was caught and the die removed from service but it looks like it was caught early and that most of the error coins were expunged. I just have to believe that if one coin made it out, that several did. As I said, the coin can go unnoticed in the lens unless you are looking for it, I did not see it there. I saw it in the scan I did for archival purposes (7200DPI) several days after receiving the sets.

Comments

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

Huh?

Nevermind, I see what you are referring too.

Send it to CONECA and let them figure it out.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice analysis and welcome to the forums-------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    What looks like a line on the obverse is actually a raised area of the mirror field. This would have increased the volume of the coin but the reeding (which is normally created when metal pushes out into the reeding collar) is incomplete in the area of the raised field. The only way for this to be created is if the die has an indent in the field (which is the highest portion of the die since it is a reverse image). The field is only raised a fraction of a mm, but it is not just a line, it only looks like one because of the proof finish and you only see the edge of the raised portion. I have attached an image that might better show the raised field portion.

Sorry, screwed the image upload process. Both images are here.
  • Options

<< <i>What looks like a line on the obverse is actually a raised area of the mirror field. This would have increased the volume of the coin but the reeding (which is normally created when metal pushes out into the reeding collar) is incomplete in the area of the raised field. The only way for this to be created is if the die has an indent in the field (which is the highest portion of the die since it is a reverse image). The field is only raised a fraction of a mm, but it is not just a line, it only looks like one because of the proof finish and you only see the edge of the raised portion. I have attached an image that might better show the raised field portion.

Sorry, screwed the image upload process. Both images are here. >>

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool find... I will have to check my set... thanks for the information and analysis. Look forward to more of your posts. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    damaged die from a collar strike?

very interesting at the least.

nice find.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I can't be sure what the die really struck. The reeding collar is just a guess. It could have struck something before being put into the press (but I think that would have been caught before use). The fact that the damage has a smooth radius that is greater than the radius of a finished quarter and the damaging hit appears to have happened square to the die (suggesting alignment) and not done much damage to the mirror finish seems to suggest that it had to hit something that was as hard as the die itself and smooth and round (that is, with a round hole). It may have hit some other part of the press or planchet handling/feeding machinery. The section of the field looks to be raised about 0.25mm above nominal position.
  • Options
    Verrrry interesting! Thanks for the info.
    Save $$$ on many purchases to include EBAY and EBay Stores.

Big Crumbs Link

Mr Rebates Link

EBates Link

Chucknra@yahoo.com
  • Options
    A second and possibly more likely possibility is that the die blank was not properly ground and had either a flat spot or not enough material in the cone portion and that the crescent comes into being because the die did not completely fill the hub. This might better account for the flatness and polish of the crescent area. This would however require the die to pass any inspection before being put into service.
  • Options
    I eventually came to the conclusion (with the help of many others on various web sites) that my coin is the result of something similar to a collar clash. It differs from this notion in the fact that the reeding collar was not struck and that only the obverse die was damaged. I belive that the obverse die was dropped and impacted a flat piece of metal that has holes in it slightly larger that a quarter. Perhaps some sort of wheel that feeds the planchets into the press has these features. There does not seem to be enough damage to the die for the clash to have happened under the force of coining. I have submitted the coin to PCGS and it has been graded but not attributed any error status as of yet. It was submitted under the Mint Error service level and I was wondering if anyone here knows if when error coins are submitted do they grade them before examining them for the error specifics? The coin already has a certification number of 18538106 and the cert lookup shows a grade of PR67DC but does not have the E prefix to the coin number or any reference to the error. I emailed customer service with my concern that the coin may have been mistakenly graded under some other service than the one I requested and I will call them this morning to see if I can get clarification. I honestly do not know what to call this error. Collar clash is probably the closest existing classification but even that is not really does not properly describe the coin.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Hi ClairHardesty.

I am assuming you are one in the same from the "About" forum?

Welcome.
  • Options
    Yes, I moderate that forum for Susan Headly. This coin is my first foray into having my own coins certified and graded so I am a little unsire of the procedures and concerned that what I believe to be a very special coin is treated as such. I have spent the last 16 months trying to find someone with another coin like mine with no luck. I suppose it is possible that it is the only one that made it out of the mint, but with about one million lenses to be searched I doubt that all of the similar quarters have been examined for this error yet.

OK, I just got off the phone with PCGS and their "expert" claims that this coin is struck as the mint intended! I made them put it back into grading by telling them that I would hate to publish an article pointing out that PCGS did not see anything wrong with this coin! I will post again as soon as I know more.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What am I looking at/for on the coin? I just don't see anything yet. image
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    The reed ing across the top of the coin (obverse view) is incomplete. This is caused by a crescent of the obverse field being raised a fraction of a mm above the rest of the field. I have included some images that should make things clear. Among them are close ups of the ST letters from both my coin and a normal coin. One image is of the reeding and there are drawings explaining what I think happened.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool intro!!! image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>The reed ing across the top of the coin (obverse view) is incomplete. This is caused by a crescent of the obverse field being raised a fraction of a mm above the rest of the field. I have included some images that should make things clear. Among them are close ups of the ST letters from both my coin and a normal coin. One image is of the reeding and there are drawings explaining what I think happened. >>

I reference to the "reeding" depicted in the image below:

See the thread below:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=787628

These blanks are imported from Australia and I think what you may be seeing is simply an incomplete punch during the planchet blanking process that was not caught prior to delivery to the US Mint. One thing I DO KNOW is that the groove(s) in the reeding of your coin has nothing to do with the line on the obverse.

Your best bet would be to have Mike Diamond of CONECA examine the coin. Mike can be reached at: mdia1@aol.com

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    The reeding is formed when the coin is struck. Metal is forced into the reeding collar by the force of the die pressing the top and bottom of the coin. The quarter blanks are sent through the upsetting mill like other coins to form the proto rim. Because of the damage to the obverse die, not enough metal was pressed out into the collar during striking. The poor reeding is exactly coincident with the arc of raised field. The reeding is complete everywhere around the coin except where the obverse field anomally exists and the incomplete reeding is at its worst in the center of the raised field portion and tapers to normality at the end of the field defect. It is difficult to believe that a blank fault would exactly align with a die caused error. The two are clearly related, expecially when the volume of the coin is condsidered. Even if the groove is present in the planchet built on the Aussie upsetting mill, it is the field anomally that is the cause of incomplete reeding in this case. A weak strike, or even a proof coin that was only struck once, could well also prevent the reeding from forming properly but in such a case it would not neccessarily align with any feature of the coin. There is also very slight weakness in the lettering directly opposite the obverse defect. On the reverse, the letters US UNUM 2 areweak at their bottoms (the frost is slightly shiny). The raised field on the obverse transfered less than normal force to the reverse, weakening the force applied to those structures.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there. Thanks for sharing. I'll post photos of anything I find. I like posting photos of anomalies. I once had a rubber chicken specimen on a 2006 Lincoln cent, but nobody would confirm it. Some called it a "Washington Sky Rat". This place is fun. Enjoy.
  • Options
    Thanks, TwoSides. It is always nice to have someone help keep things in perspective. I don't have my coin right now but I do have a large body of images of it that I can edit for presentation. I always scan my new coins at 7200 DPI for archival purposes and it was those scans that spotted this error. I had not seen it when I looked at the set in the lens, or even when I was doing the scans. I spotted it when reviewing the images and initailly thought it was a hair or something on the scanner. If there are any specific views of my coin you would like just let me know and I can supply them.
  • Options

<< <i>The reeding is formed when the coin is struck. Metal is forced into the reeding collar by the force of the die pressing the top and bottom of the coin. The quarter blanks are sent through the upsetting mill like other coins to form the proto rim. Because of the damage to the obverse die, not enough metal was pressed out into the collar during striking. The poor reeding is exactly coincident with the arc of raised field. The reeding is complete everywhere around the coin except where the obverse field anomally exists and the incomplete reeding is at its worst in the center of the raised field portion and tapers to normality at the end of the field defect. It is difficult to believe that a blank fault would exactly align with a die caused error. The two are clearly related, expecially when the volume of the coin is condsidered. Even if the groove is present in the planchet built on the Aussie upsetting mill, it is the field anomally that is the cause of incomplete reeding in this case. A weak strike, or even a proof coin that was only struck once, could well also prevent the reeding from forming properly but in such a case it would not neccessarily align with any feature of the coin. There is also very slight weakness in the lettering directly opposite the obverse defect. On the reverse, the letters US UNUM 2 areweak at their bottoms (the frost is slightly shiny). The raised field on the obverse transfered less than normal force to the reverse, weakening the force applied to those structures. >>

12 out of 15 of the 2010 ATB Silver Quarters in the three Proof Sets I have received, have this groove in the reeding.

image .. image

The reeding groove is in no way associated with the obverse error on your coin.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incomplete planchet cut?
  • Options
    I am not saying that the incomplete reeding does not have a deeper root source, only that in the case of my coin the straw that broke the camel's back is the obverse die damage. On my coin the incomplete reeding only exists where the extra metal is present on the obverse field and the more volume that exists on the field, the worse the reeding anomally is. The reeding on my coin is as expected everywhere else around the coin and all 9 of my other 2009 proof silver quarters have nominal reeding. As long as the weight of the planchets is correct and they are not way too small (diameter), the reeding should form up unless the strike is weak, the coin is only struck once, or the initial issue is severe (which it may well be in many cases). The reeding issue on my coin is a secondary effect. The real error is the damaged obverse die and the raised portion of the obverse field that it causes. I believe that if this coin had been minted from a normal obverse die that the reeding would also be normal or the "dents" would have been minimal. On my coin, the missing metal in the reeds coorsponds very well to the extra metal on the obverse field. On other coins, the lack of full reeds has other causes.
  • Options

<< <i>I am not saying that the incomplete reeding does not have a deeper root source, only that in the case of my coin the straw that broke the camel's back is the obverse die damage. On my coin the incomplete reeding only exists where the extra metal is present on the obverse field and the more volume that exists on the field, the worse the reeding anomally is. The reeding on my coin is as expected everywhere else around the coin and all 9 of my other 2009 proof silver quarters have nominal reeding. As long as the weight of the planchets is correct and they are not way too small (diameter), the reeding should form up unless the strike is weak, the coin is only struck once, or the initial issue is severe (which it may well be in many cases). The reeding issue on my coin is a secondary effect. The real error is the damaged obverse die and the raised portion of the obverse field that it causes. I believe that if this coin had been minted from a normal obverse die that the reeding would also be normal or the "dents" would have been minimal. On my coin, the missing metal in the reeds coorsponds very well to the extra metal on the obverse field. On other coins, the lack of full reeds has other causes. >>

I get it now.

Have an expert examine "your" coin to determine the "real" problem.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I know that all of my 2009 silver proof quarters have nominal reeding (after finding the field error I examined all of my 2009 coins closely) but I haven't checked my 2010 coins. I will do so and report back on their status. Thank you for your information. I now know that there is a solid reason why the reeding was so easily affected by the field error.
  • Options
    I went back and checked my 2009 and 2010 silver proof quarters and as I remembered, none of my 2009 coins show any evidence of the mill groove (so it only showed up on the error coin). In my 2010 sets, one of the sets is perfectly nominal but in the other one, all five coins show evidence of the upsetting mill groove. In all cases it is a very slight reduction in the height of the central portion of the reeds and goes all the way around the coins. None of them are major, the worst one makes it look like there is a frost spot in the center of the reeds and indentation can only be seen under high magnification (20X) but it is clearly there. This actually helps confirm that my one error coin has a significant anomally on the obverse field. It doesn't have to keep much metal behind to cause a large notch in the reeding adjacent to the field defect. All this being said, shame on the mint for not fixing this issue after it showed up in 2009. To produce silver proof coins with a known quality issue on a large perdentage of the coins minted and then charge more for fewer coins on top of that is inexcusable.
  • Options
    I just received the coin back from PCGS and I am happy to report that it is the same coin I sent out and it still has the massive die error showing on the obverse (which PCGS mounted backwards because it is a U.S. Territory quarter). After two times through the error graders at PCGS (the second time at my insistence) they contend that the coin is struck as the mint intended, that there is no error. I provided documentation with the coin and emailed additional images for the second review to no avail. I literally pleaded with them to have more people look at the coin but they insisted that the coin is as the mint meant it to be. "PCGS fails to spot major silver proof die error, TWICE!"

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I just received the coin back from PCGS and I am happy to report that it is the same coin I sent out and it still has the massive die error showing on the obverse (which PCGS mounted backwards because it is a U.S. Territory quarter). After two times through the error graders at PCGS (the second time at my insistence) they contend that the coin is struck as the mint intended, that there is no error. I provided documentation with the coin and emailed additional images for the second review to no avail. I literally pleaded with them to have more people look at the coin but they insisted that the coin is as the mint meant it to be. "PCGS fails to spot major silver proof die error, TWICE!"
    image >>

I'm still very curious about that line which runs through STATES OF AM

As for it being a Major Proof Die Error? Some MEE's need to look at the coin! (Major Error Experts)

Please post it on CONECA's Mint Error Forum.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I will be arranging to send the coin to CONECA for them to review in person and will publish their views when available.
  • Options
    errormavenerrormaven Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    I'll be happy to take a look at it. PM me and I'll send you my e-mail address and mailing address.

Mike Diamond

President, CONECA
    Columnist, Collector's Clearinghouse (Coin World)
    Host: Error Coin Information Exchange
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    I have some preliminary analysis information from Mike Diamond, President of CONECA. He is sure that the coin is the result of a defective die. He thinks that the coin may be the result of a die that was errantly polished, that the arc of lowered field (on the die, raised on the coin) is the result of a die polishing accident of some sort. This theory doesn't directly account for the shape of the anomaly, an apparently perfect arc, but it does account for everything else about the defect. My impact theory suffers from the problem of explaining why, if the die hit something, there is not more damage to the lettering and at lease some damage to the rim area of the coin. An impact should have pushed metal somewhere but a polisher would have simply removed metal from the die. I think that if we can find a way to explain the crescent shape that an accidental or overly aggressively polishing of the field mirror may be the best stab at the cause of the die defect. He does plan on doing a write up for Coin World but wants to compare my coin to one that a friend showed years ago from a Special Mint Set first and it may take some time for him to get that coin so I will let him keep my coin for that comparison to occur. My two biggest questions about the polishing theory are how to explain the arc (if it was lower instead of higher on the coin it could be explained by a polishing disc that was not properly centered on the die) and how to explain what appear to be lines in the arc that appear to run radial to the coin (polishing should run perpendicular to these lines). The die may have been in some sort of polishing mount that turned it and it was simply misaligned and an extra arc was ground off the die field, nearly grinding through some of the lettering. I look forward to seeing Mike's final analysis and my coin in print.
  • Options
    Mike Diamond's article on this coin will appear in Today' edition of Coin World magazine.
  • Options
    I read the report this morning.

I'm curious if anymore of these will turn up and perhaps with a copy of this report, you can at least get PCGS to attribute it as a die polishing error.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I am hoping that with this wider exposure that if there any more out there that they will be found. Otherwise I have litterally a one in a million coin. If my FOIA request to the mint turns up any useful information we may find out if there was any attempt to keep the coins that were made from leaving the mint. You have to look closely at the coin in the lens to see the line. I did not see mine until I scanned the coin and was reviewing the pictures. If you are looking for it and using even a small magnifyer it does stand out but a glance at the coin in the lens can miss it.
  • Options
    I sent an email to PCGS customer service asking is they would consider reviewing the coin for a third time (at their cost) in light of Mike Diamond's article and the fact that they had insisted that the coin was normal. Customer service turned the request over to the graders and they have decided to give me the silent treatment, three weeks and no response. This is exactly what they did the first time, the coin was originally returned with no explanation that they found no error, just shipped back as though I had submitted it as a normal coin. No recognition at all of tha fact that I had paid them a $30 error attribution fee for nothing. I am not even sure that they in fact reviewed the coin the second time because writing on the return packaging made it appear thet the box had been sealed before I complained about the attribution and there was no indication that the box had been opened and resealed. They claimed that their graders had reviewed the pictures I sent and the coin and still held to the no error opinion. I think it might be time to see if NGC would like to use the coin as a publicity item.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In light of all that has transpired, it may be time to bring it to the attention of PCGS management. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Customer service turned the request over to the graders and they have decided to give me the silent treatment, three weeks and no response. >>

Don't take it so bad. They probably sent your question to the people who run the Q&A forum.image
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    If you look at 10 O'clock on the rim the arc has carried over to the rim just above the N in UNITED. I think that means it has to have something other to do with it other than just the die perhaps.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After studying the pictures carefully, I still can't tell for sure if there is any disruption in the detail on the lower reverse (directly opposite the obverse "damage").
    There might be.

Having done my own die polishing and minting, I would conclude the following:

It is not a die polishing error. A die polishing error would not create that much of a discontinuity on the die face, and it would not cause an arc that extended across the rim.

It is not an error from the die impacting the collar. Modern US Mint coin presses have floating collars that are held in place by a "cushion" of air pressure. If something pushes down on the collar (like the upper die), the collar will "give" and move downwards to prevent major damage. How else would an off-center coin strike occur ? If the collar didn't float, every modern off-center strike out there would have had the un-struck portion of the coin sheared off during striking.

I believe that the coin in question was struck on an incompletely-punched planchet. The planchet was partially punched out, end then fully punched out, but with a small shift between the punches. I have one of my concept dollars that has this same effect. This would also explain why no others have turned up - if it was some sort of die error, there would be more of them. Also note that the radius of the arc would change (become larger) during striking since the planchet metal moves radially to fill the collar when struck.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I believe that the coin in question was struck on an incompletely-punched planchet. The planchet was partially punched out, end then fully punched out, but with a small shift between the punches. I have one of my concept dollars that has this same effect. This would also explain why no others have turned up - if it was some sort of die error, there would be more of them. Also note that the radius of the arc would change (become larger) during striking since the planchet metal moves radially to fill the collar when struck. >>

That's seems like a logical explanation to me. I can't believe PCGS didn't holder this as a mint error.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe becuse all proof coins are multi struck the graders can't call it multi struck. Thanks for sharing the images. I don't subsribe to Coin World, so I won't get to see the article. I think it is a no brainer multistrike with the first strike being off center, and the final strikes all being on center.

Cool find in any case.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>I sent an email to PCGS customer service asking is they would consider reviewing the coin for a third time (at their cost) in light of Mike Diamond's article and the fact that they had insisted that the coin was normal. Customer service turned the request over to the graders and they have decided to give me the silent treatment, three weeks and no response. This is exactly what they did the first time, the coin was originally returned with no explanation that they found no error, just shipped back as though I had submitted it as a normal coin. No recognition at all of tha fact that I had paid them a $30 error attribution fee for nothing. I am not even sure that they in fact reviewed the coin the second time because writing on the return packaging made it appear thet the box had been sealed before I complained about the attribution and there was no indication that the box had been opened and resealed. They claimed that their graders had reviewed the pictures I sent and the coin and still held to the no error opinion. I think it might be time to see if NGC would like to use the coin as a publicity item. >>

First off, Hopefully, you've learned something here. Namely, get it to Mike Diamond at CONECA before submitting to ANY grading service. If you haven't, then hopefully other will learn from your experience.

It is imperative that folks REMEMBER, PCGS is a GRADING service, not a COIN EXAMINATION/ATTRIBUTION service.
    They do not and will not research "obscure" modern mint errors or "obscure" modern mint varieties. Thats what CONECA and their professional attributers are for. PCGS will be more than happy to slab "documented" Mint Errors but ALWAYS stay away from "undocumented" errors.

Often times, mint errors are forwarded to Fred Weinberg for authentication but I believe that PCGS must have a reasonable certainty that an actual error exists before forwarding it to Fred since it costs time and money. I know for a fact that Fred DOES NOT see mint error submitted to PCGS.

(You really should have listened to my advise in the second post! March 2nd))

Secondly, once PCGS rejected your coin as a Mint Error from your initial submission, continuing to bug them about whether or not its an error based upon the forgone conclusions of public coin forum members does nothing other than irritate them. Once it was rejected, then the coin should have been submitted to Mike at CONECA for formal examination and attribution as I advised you on Dec 2nd. CONECA is a well respected Coin Error Service and PCGS respects their opinions and publications.

After formal examination, then the coin should have then been resubmitted ALONG with the CONECA documentation for another examination by PCGS. At that point, PCGS would have documentation ON the coin which would have better enabled them feel comfortable in attributing the coin as a Mint Error.

PCGS will not simply attribute a coin as a Mint Error based upon the musings and ramblings of a submitter. I personally found your initial "assessment" somewhat confusing and pretty much missing the mark. Despite your best efforts at defining what occured, there was never a specific "error" mentioned other than "Collar clash is probably the closest existing classification" so I'm assuming it was sent as a "Collar Clash"? Whatever! PCGS saw it, didn't agree with you and eventually, you did get it off to CONECA with the end result being the story in Coin World's Collectors Clearing House. (You really should have listened sooner. image )

At this point in time and IMHO, if the coin were simply resubmitted to PCGS under the Mint Error Service along with the Coin World article that Mike wrote, you just might get it slabbed as a "Die Polishing Error"(?). (I don't really know what it would be classified as.) Additionally, understanding that PCGS is not an Examination/Attribution Service, it's pointless to ask them to re-evaluate the coin "at their cost". They made no mistakes IMO and shouldn't be held accountable for your misinterpretation of what did or did not occur with the coin and/or obv die. You yourself admitted that the error was "unnoticeable" while still in the Proof Set lens and you really didn't even "see" it until after your scanner did. Your initial musings on what occured were very weak and rambling. Had you submitted it to Mike in the First Place (for $5.00), you probably could have saved yourself a bunch of money and headaches.

Again, whatever. Either resubmit it to PCGS along with the proper documentation or go ahead and see if NGC will be "interested". I suspect they'll show as much interest as PCGS since the "error", although significant in nature, is apparently difficult to actually see. It also represents a previously undocumented type of error.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I believe that the coin in question was struck on an incompletely-punched planchet. The planchet was partially punched out, end then fully punched out, but with a small shift between the punches. I have one of my concept dollars that has this same effect. This would also explain why no others have turned up - if it was some sort of die error, there would be more of them. Also note that the radius of the arc would change (become larger) during striking since the planchet metal moves radially to fill the collar when struck. >>

I'm fairly certain that Mike D considered the possibility of an "incomplete" punch but if this were actually the case, then the line would have crossed the lettering. There is no line across the lettering as shown in the photo above and the close up in the Coin World article.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    The defective planchet idea does not hold up with this coin. If the coin had been thinner north of the arc on the field then the planchet notion might hold up but with the coin being thicker, it just doesn't work. In the close up image of ATE you can see that the lettering is perfectly rendered on both sides of the arc. This can only be explained by a die that is the opposite of the coin as we see it. A normal die could not render like this across an elevation change on the planchet face. Another image shows the area where the arc meets the rim in close up and it is clear that this is as one would expect if the die were ground down north of the arc. My initial therory of an impact explains the arc both in size and shape if it impacted the top plate as seen in the picture of a Canadian proof press (the reeding collar lies beneath the top plate) but the impact theory cannot explain why there is no distortion to the lettering. One would expect the impact to only push metal and not cleanly remove it. There would have been evidence in the lettering of this metal push and none is present. The coin is clearly the result of a good (double, proof) strike by a defective die. The evidence on the reverse is merely slight weakness of strike opposite the arc evidenced best in the incomplete impression of the frost pattern in the lettering. I am composing an FOIA request to have the mint try and find the record of this die in the DIS which should tell us how many coins were minted and how many were accounted for and destroyed without leaving the mint. Hopefully that data will also contain some explanation of exactly what happened to the die.
  • Options
    If PCGS is not an error attribution service then why do they charge $30 to simply authenticate a coin as matching a known error, more than they charge for grading itself, which carries a gaurantee. If they are not in fact an error attribution service then they should clearly state that fact, something which they do not do. They do not require or even request any proof of the error as being accepted in the numismatic community in order to submit a coin through their error service level. I included close up images of the area in question with the initial submission. PCGS did not reject the error as unproven, they claimed the coin was perfectly normal. Totally unprofessional, arrogant behavior, IMHO.
  • Options
    I always enjoy the lively reparte on these boards.

As others have said, this is clearly not an incomplete punch (incomplete clip). An incomplete clip takes the form of a sharp, narrow groove on both faces. On this proof quarter there is no groove, only a well-defined step on the obverse face.

Letters that cross the step are thinned-out and pinched at and north of the step, which means that the field around those letters was mechanically removed on the die face after the die was frosted. The only operation I know of that can account for this would be proof polishing.

There is certainly no evidence for movement between the two (or more) strikes used to produce a typical proof.

In my opinion, PCGS should offer Mr. Hardesty a refund on his submission fees, postage, and insurance. He submitted the coin under their mint error service. The coin had a grossly obvious mint error. Their failure to recognize it as such amounts to a failure to deliver the service they promised. If they were unable to identify the nature and origin of the error, then they should have simply admitted this. Perhaps they could have affixed a non-specific label like "die error" or "die defect".

--Mike Diamond
    Mike Diamond is an error coin writer and researcher. Views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those held by any organization I am a member of.
  • Options
    I do not seek, nor do I want, a refund. I would gladly accept a gratis review and relabeling of the coin to acknowledge its error status. The grade assigned to it is accurate and there is no need to regrade the coin. I have no intention of resubmitting the coin to PCGS at my cost. I will take it to another, less expensive service before I do that but I am in no hurry to follow that path either, the coin speaks for itself and it is well protected in the existing slab. I believe that the initial failure to recognize the coin as an error was an honest mistake but I simply do not understand the events that followed my request for review, something I clearly felt I had paid well for.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like one of the pictures shows an artifact across "UNUM" on the reverse.
    I'd like to see a close-up picture of the lower reverse.
  • Options
    Here is the reverse opposite the obverse anomally. The shine on the bottoms of the letters is what I am attributting to weakness caused by the obverse field having increased volume (therefore not pushing as hard in this region).
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it not look the same as this PCGS graded error? It's on the BST and EBAY

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    The coin you linked to does not look like an incomplete punch to me. It looks like a scratch or a semi-circular indentation received after the strike. The reasons I am skeptical of this diagnosis are as follows:

1. An incomplete punch this shallow and incomplete would almost certainly have been erased by the strike.

2. The alleged punch mark is no stronger on the rim than it is in the field. An incomplete punch should be wider and better preserved on the rim because the effective striking pressure is lower here.

3. The fact that the curved groove does not extend farther than LIBERTY's head and doesn't appear at all on the reverse face makes the printed diagnosis highly suspect.

4. An incomplete punch should also be visible on the edge, and my guess is that this is not the case with this specimen.

5. An incomplete punch will penetrate the surface of the coin. This short curved groove seems quite superficial.

6. Even if you could manage to show the groove was present on the planchet before the strike, that wouldn't necessarily prove it was an incomplete punch. There are other sources of curved grooves on planchets besides the blanking die.

I have seen one or two other alleged incomplete punches on Morgan dollars. None exhibited the expected diagnostics.

Don't believe everything you read on a slab label.

Here's what an incomplete punch SHOULD look like:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file