Home U.S. Coin Forum

1835 quarter with a 7 over the 5? Interesting!

I bought a bust quarter that was advertized as an 1835. Strange enough it appears to have a 7 punched right over the 5. The reverse appears to be the 1835 B-2. Is this possible that a 7 could be over a 5?
Very interesting!
Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • I have no idea, It looks original and low grade.
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • I am hoping it is real.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Close-up of the date?

The 7 looks to be added
  • The coin is still in the mail and i have not yet recieved it. When i do i will for sure inspect the coin and post some larger images of the date. These are the images of the seller so i don't know alot about the coin.
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Close-up of the date?

The 7 looks to be added >>

I agree.
  • Fake or real it is a neat find.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possibly an 1837 B-3 with damage under the 7?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • I don't think so, If you look at the reverse the 25 c is very high on the coin.
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The coin sure looks good from the picture.
    Anyone have a reference book for the
    characteristics?
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Imho the coin looks tooled in the picture. Hope it turns out to be real when it gets to you! image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number 7 shouldn't be a different color than the numbers 1, 8 or 3.

But still might be a fun coin to have unless it is the real deal then
    it would be a fantastic coin to have image

edited to add - Why would it be advertised as an 1835 when it is so obviously not?
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    It is an 1835 B-2 that has had the last numeral re-engraved or added...for what purpose I have no idea. At least that is what it looks like in the PIC. I would reserve the right to say otherwise if I could see it in hand.

The obverse die characteristics are identical to 1835 Obv. 1, which was used in creating 1835 B-1, B-2 & B-3.

This reverse (Rev. H), was first used in 1834 to produce the 1834 B-2 & B-5 and is from a unique reverse hub, most likely engraved by Christian Gobrecht.

It is an interesting item, but I would think not more valuable because of the re-engraved date, but worth less. If it were an earlier type re-engraved to 1823 or 1827, then it would be worth more.

I would be interested in it, at least a photo of it, for an article I am working on though. image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• The coin was interesting to me, I did get a good price on the coin, so i was willing to take the risk. I can't wait to see it in hand. I have no idea why anyone would go to the trouble to add that number to a common 1835 which makes it interesting as well.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    as a kid I once had an 1861 quarter, on the back, someone had carefully altered "QUAR. DOL" to QUAE DOL. It looked pretty good, so good that I thought I had something cool...

took it to my local coin shop to ask about it, they apologized for selling me an altered coin, and traded me even for a higher graded 1876.

I always figured someone was practicing on the coin at some point, in order to be able to skillfully change something about a more valuable coin.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• That would make the most sense. Thanks for sharing that Baley.
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    whatever came of this??

www.brunkauctions.com

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>whatever came of this?? >>

good question
    Frank

BHNC #203

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow... old thread, but unanswered questions.... we need a new picture or at least the OP to revisit with commentary...Cheers, RickO
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Altered date, no question.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file