Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1989 Double Die Penny

Got some change back today and noticed I recieved a 1989 Penny that is a double die on the front date......anyone familiar with this year having double dies?
Thanks!
"When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

got pics? what is presumably doubled?

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    1989P-1DO-001 Doubling on the date. The word 'LIBERTY' gets thicker towards the center of the coin- partially due to doubling, partially due to die wear.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    Thanks Robb..that is exactly it....any value?
    Thanks!

• Options

<< <i>Thanks Robb..that is exactly it....any value?
    Thanks! >>

I think it's one of those deals where you have to find the right buyer.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

....no pics? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    The penny is actually a 1989 D...should it be a "P"?

Thanks
    CJ

• Options

<< <i>The penny is actually a 1989 D...should it be a "P"?

Thanks
    CJ >>

No reports of a 1989D DDO, just DDR. What you have is probably Machine Doubling rather than a Double Die.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The penny is actually a 1989 D...should it be a "P"?

Thanks
    CJ >>

No reports of a 1989D DDO, just DDR. What you have is probably Machine Doubling rather than a Double Die. >>

OK... now, it would help to have pictures.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    if someone wants to send me their email address i can send pics, but i'm not real internet savy, and don't know how to upload them here.
    Thanks
    CJ

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Email address sent... will let you know my opinion... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

Everybody keep saying there's no double dies on 1989 Denver Mint. but there are many people with the 1989 Denver Mint they say they have them double-die I have one myself and here's the picture

• Options

not a doubled die

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2018 3:17PM

Looks like machine doubling to me (and maybe some die wear).

What specific characteristics make you think it is a doubled die and not machine doubling?

• Options

Ok what is it then and please explain why it is not a double die MsMorrisine

• Options

@JD40356 said:
    Ok what is it then and please explain why it is not a double die MsMorrisine

With all due respect, it is not up to anyone here to prove it is not a doubled die (you keep calling it "double die" which is incorrect). It is up to you to prove that it is one.

I was wondering if you know what machine doubling is, which is why I asked the question. Flat, shelf-like appearance of the doubling is one indicator. On my screen, at least, that describes what I see on yours.

• Options

because machine doubling is only on one coin. But if double die is on all those coins that It produced. and this is not the only coin that has this in 1989 there's numerous people that have a coin that look just like this. so would that not be a double die?

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mechanical doubling, perhaps some die deterioration which may mimic doubling. Appears to be a combination of both. Here is a listing of known doubled DDO's, and DDR's for 1989-D. Thanks you for sharing!

http://www.doubleddie.com/829054.html

• Options

@JD40356 said:
    because machine doubling is only on one coin. But if double die is on all those coins that It produced. and this is not the only coin that has this in 1989 there's numerous people that have a coin that look just like this. so would that not be a double die?

??? MD can happen on a million coins. And if it is due to worn dies it will be repeated exactly on all coins from that die.

If you can find a recognized/slabbed DD for this date/mm and yours matches EXACTLY them you have one. If you are sure it is one why don't you send to PCGS to get graded. That would answer it definitively.

• Options

the issues with the press that cause MD will cause it on many, many coins until the issue is corrected.

• Options

JBK I will be sending it in to PCGS due to the fact when I Google double-die 1989 Denver Mint pennies there are about 5 or 6 people on YouTube that have the coin that looks the exact same and I have another one that looks the same on the obverse. now I'm not saying the people on YouTube are correct but I will let you guys know when I have a graded. and I hope I'm not offending anybody I'm not saying you guys are wrong by any means. but a lot of these keeps showing up.

• Options
    edited August 6, 2018 5:34PM

I think I can speak for (almost) all of us when I say that I hope it works out. I am pessimistic but will be very happy if I am wrong.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, Its like this...Your wasting your time and money. Its Die Erosion. I highly suggest you visit both the John Wexler or James Wiles sites and look at what a real Doubled Die for that year looks before you submit the coin. Also, PCGS will not recognize the coin variety since it is NOT in the latest or past Cherry Pickers Guide. Therefore your only option is to send it to ANACS. However, I would suggest you save some money first and for $5-10 bucks get an expert opinion and send it to either James Wiles for to John Wexler who do Attribution ( but contact them first so they agree to do it) BEFORE you send it to ANACS. And if you have the courage - report back to us as to what they say...

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

JD45306 before you come back and reply that you still want to spend your money to get it graded or authenticated take the advice of the people on this forum.They now what they are talking about.
    Heed their advice and continue the search.

Good Luck

Rob
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is definitely not a doubled die.... However, if you will not trust the experts here, go right ahead and spend your money. If you do so, please be brave enough to come back and tell us the results. Remember, YouTube videos are not necessarily by experts... in fact, most are not. If it is not recognized in the CPG or Coinfacts... then it is NOT a doubled die. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

....please don't waste your money.

It's not a doubled die whatsoever,
    or in any way, shape, or form.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JD40356 said:
    JBK I will be sending it in to PCGS due to the fact when I Google double-die 1989 Denver Mint pennies there are about 5 or 6 people on YouTube that have the coin that looks the exact same and I have another one that looks the same on the obverse. now I'm not saying the people on YouTube are correct but I will let you guys know when I have a graded. and I hope I'm not offending anybody I'm not saying you guys are wrong by any means. but a lot of these keeps showing up.

You may want to submit it 2 or 3 times, just to make sure they get it right.

@FredWeinberg knows more about errors than PCGS. You can take his opinion to the bank, even if you don't trust the rest of us.

And, for the sake of all ye gods, you already have a thread with your 20 photos. Did we need to see all 20 photos again?

• Options

@JD40356 said:

I'm going to ask you to think a little bit here. Your thesis is that:
    1. There are a LOT of these doubled die 1989-D cents and they are all over the internet.
    2. Despite the existence of a LOT of these doubled die cents, CONECA and all the error geeks have refused to accept it as a new variety.

Does that make any sense? It would make more sense if you had the only one out there - which is hard but impossible for a 30 year old coin. If there are a lot, why do those coins avoid falling into the hands of coin error experts?

• Options

@cjmezz said:
    Got some change back today and noticed I recieved a 1989 Penny that is a double die on the front date......anyone familiar with this year having double dies?
    Thanks!

Go to varietyvista.com and it will show you photos of all recognized DDOs. If your coin does not match one of the photos exactly, it is not that variety.

• Options
    tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

While I am always amazed at these posts from people thinking they have found something and not believing what we tell them is the actual truth, I am equally amazed at all the time and effort some of you put in trying to convince them. It is like you are feeding the animals. Let it go and they will disappear. Keep responding to their post and it will keep happening. You do realize they are trolling right?

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Options

@tnspro said:
    While I am always amazed at these posts from people thinking they have found something and not believing what we tell them is the actual truth, I am equally amazed at all the time and effort some of you put in trying to convince them. It is like you are feeding the animals. Let it go and they will disappear. Keep responding to their post and it will keep happening. You do realize they are trolling right?

You can't really know from a single post if they are trolling. Good manners require a polite first meeting. If they persist in bad behavior, then they should be labeled a troll and ignored.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file