Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

OT-Meet this forum member who is serving in Afghanistan

I realize this is OT but with everyone's kind permission I thought it was an appropriate post as he is one of ours.

Forum member Ilafoe (of whom we are very proud) image says:

"Forget that I'm not wearing all my protective gear!
I'm standing at the site of two VBIEDs and three sucide bombers the past few weeks.
You can tell I'm 47 by the whites in my errrrr... hair! " :-D

If you wish to send thanks for serving he may be reached at llafoe@msn.com

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    e-mail sent.

Thank you

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    e-mail sent

press on!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    E mail away
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    e-mails are huge for this guys!

I remember when we were sitting in the dust and rain of Vietnam,
    mail from home (any mail) was probably the single most important event of our day, week, month.

Now with e-mail, communication may be more immediate, but no less anticipated and rewarding.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    E-mail will be sent....Thanks
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this thread, email sent.imageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An email is the least we can do for these brave boys! Thanks for the pointer.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    What does he collect? Maybe we could send him a nice thank you when he gets back....
  • Options
    Someone needs to oil those rusty hinges.... image

Much respect for the men and women in uniform.. My boy ships out to Basic in June... image
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My email is easy to recognize chief. Look for an obvious vet's name.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pm sent to a forum member hero!!!! image
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    For the love of.... gravy.

Didn't we get rid of the M16A2's a while a go? It's been years since I saw one of those rifles.

You'd think those guns would have been replaced for those heading in to the stans.

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    And some of his sales come all the way from his office Kabul, Afghanistan!

Buy his last item and leave him so kudos in his feedback.

LaFoe coin on the bay.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>And some of his sales come all the way from his office Kabul, Afghanistan!

Buy his last item and leave him so kudos in his feedback.

LaFoe coin on the bay. >>

Now I'm going to be accused of spamming my eBay listings! image

My children collect mint and proof sets from their birth years: 1999 and 2000. They're part of the registry set. As for me, I have a thousand or so raw coins from the early 1800s through 1970. They've been in jars since the late 1970s. I recall Bust, Liberty, Barber, Twenty cent, 3 cent (both), half dimes, Standing/Walking, Franklin, Kennedy (40/90), Flying Eagle, Indian Head, Wheat Lincolns, war nickels, Morgan, Peace, Trade, etc. Condition runs from Good - BU. There's a little gold too. My dad was one of those guys that bought/sold silver in response to the Hunt Brothers. We melted LOTS of BU Mercury dimes... they were sooooo plentiful in the late 70s. We kept the "neat" coins (from the eyes of a 14-year-old). We had sooooo many GSA dollars too... melted if they were toned (NO ONE liked toned coins in the day). I'd say 10% copper, 90% silver and 5% gold. It's a nice, orignal, never been slabbed group of coins. I remember how "cool" and innocent coin collecting was when I was a child. I hope my children have the same memories. I haven't looked at those jars since then... now I can't wait to go through them with my children when I get home!

Btw... is it legal for a single individual to have 23 Mercury dime sets in the Registry? Aren't there monopoly laws to protect other collectors?

Steve - The M16A2 is probably the third most commonly used weapon in Afghanistan, after the M4 (#2) and the AK-47 (#1, probably 10 times as many as the M16/M4 combined!).
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Not spam, just support. I got a couple from Larry which he sent from Afganistan.

Salute! image

Edited to add: Of course you can have as many Mercury Dime Sets as you want. image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Not spam, just support. I got a couple from Larry which he sent from Afganistan.

<< <i>

Isn't it nice to own coins from Afghanistan? image

I've carried a few with me to both Iraq and Afghanistan. Maybe I can get the IAVA (Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America) bean sticker on my slabs (green bean for one war and gold bean for two wars)? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Email sent.
    Open up those jars as soon as you get home and lets see some pics.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file